• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dining Plan Price Increases

Ya know, this is a little off topic, but I am completely impressed by people who can actually stay and dine off site. Not even kidding. I have no idea how people get hungry in a theme park, leave, trek all the way back to their car/shuttle, go back to their resort, trek back to the room, prep, cook, clean, trek back to the car, go back to a park, trek to the entrance, enjoy. Like how do you actually do that and lose all that time vs just stopping at the nearest Disney eats and have a meal, even if you leave the park and go back to a resort.

Someone 'splain please.

Ya know, this is a little off topic, but I am completely impressed by people who can actually stay and dine off site. Not even kidding. I have no idea how people get hungry in a theme park, leave, trek all the way back to their car/shuttle, go back to their resort, trek back to the room, prep, cook, clean, trek back to the car, go back to a park, trek to the entrance, enjoy. Like how do you actually do that and lose all that time vs just stopping at the nearest Disney eats and have a meal, even if you leave the park and go back to a resort.

Someone 'splain please.

I'm impressed too...don't get me wrong...

...but I can't do it. That amount of coordination/travel reminds me too much of being not on vacation. Even more so than the rubber band scheduling

Someone 'splain please.

I don't get that either.

I get packing PB & J's and other snacks. But leaving to eat and coming back is a bigger waste than spending $18 on a taco burger, IMO.

You have a point there.

However, there are some stellar restaurants on property and those are the ones we visit. We tend to say away from the "low brow" stuff.

Disney Signature is far from fine dining. Yet they are the same price.

Disney Signature is far from fine dining. Yet they are the same price.

Meh. YMMV.

Monsieur Paul is one of our faves and is absolutely a fine dining experience if you want it to be. The guy that came in with the NASCAR hat and ordered the "ES - CAR - GOTS" threw me off a little.

Someone 'splain please.

They don't normally do all 3 meals "in their room." A standard theme park day (this was Universal) for my family involves getting up, putting the coffee on while I take a shower and sunscreen, coming out and getting my coffee while slicing up some apples or strawberries, pulling out cereal, toast, butter/jelly and bacon (cooked the night before) and getting kids fed as they wake up (and then getting them dressed/sunscreened - spouse handles the sunscreening). Each kid starts the day with a "main", some fruit, and some juice/milk, so they aren't starving as we enter the park. While the kids are getting full and ready, I throw together a soft-sided cooler bag with some water, Capri Sun Roarin Waters, and a soda for me and then the day's "snacks" - rice krispie treats, homemade trail mix, and fruit squeezables are common. We then hit the parks all day from about 10am-7 or 8pm (leaving at close or for our offsite dinner plan), and we normally have a single CS meal onsite - although we have also done TS if we feel like it b/c we have done the dinner/movie/golf deals. We then head to a nice offsite place to eat or if our meal/snacking was heavier that day, we head back to our room for sandwiches/smoothies.

Now, we go in September, so Universal almost always has their CS BOGO 1/2 daily plan for AP holders...and we use that on the days I want a butterbeer or a big pink donut. On those days, I pretty much bring nothing to the parks (although we still eat breakfast and dinner offsite) b/c the plan is more than enough food and drinks to keep us going all day. Sometimes we have leftover "items" on the cards to use other days...and we do.

Sometimes, b/c we have APs, we only hit the parks in the evening after having breakfast/lunch/swimming/resort activities all day (offsite, we tend to stay 11-12 days at Bonnet Creek). So, for 4-5 hours once the heat of the day is passed, we also walk in with about nothing and can enjoy and then head home for dinner. We love doing this on days there's a huge storm around 2-3pm b/c parks clear and make riding rides really easy.

Also, Magical Dining Month is always going on in Sept, so the spouse and I wear the kids out at a theme park or other Orlando activity, take them home for sandwiches (or a frozen pizza - this is a favorite for them) and smoothies and then go out ourselves to high end restaurants for a steal! And helping a local charity to boot!

PS - This plan, starting with fruit and juice or milk (and ending with nightly fruit smoothies), also keeps the kids systems "consistent" and lets me never say "no" to "crap" in parks...if they want nuggets and fries for every park meal, that's fine b/c they are eating 2 non-crap meals a day...

Last edited:

Someone 'splain please.

Easy, we generally take a lunchable or similar into the park. We eat on the light side at lunch due to all the walking and such. As far as travel, I can be in my room with my feet kicked up while resort guests are still standing in the cattle stalls waiting on a bus. Except for MK because of the trip to TTC of course. We leave about 2ish when crowds build, go back to the condo, swim, eat there or go out to eat, whatever, then head back to the parks if we wish. I honestly thought Disney transportation was the bomb until I tried without it. Ill never ride it again. It is sooo much easier to take your own car.

Dear Everyone,

1. Rent condo with full kitchen off site.
2. Cook easy meals or eat off site.
3. Stay rigid schedule free.
4. Save thousands of dollars.
5. Use thousands in saving to go to Disney more often.
6. Return to this thread to thank me.

No X 6. I can do all of that at home.

On a disney vacation I don't want to drive, cook. do dishes, make beds, do laundry, or clean. If I have to add that in, I will look elsewhere. I understand that we are all not alike, but on my first date my my DH I asked if he liked camping. Nope. Good, because my idea of roughing it back then was Howard Johnsons.

No X 6. I can do all of that at home.

On a disney vacation I don't want to drive, cook. do dishes, make beds, do laundry, or clean. If I have to add that in, I will look elsewhere. I understand that we are all not alike, but on my first date my my DH I asked if he liked camping. Nope. Good, because my idea of roughing it back then was Howard Johnsons.

On a disney vacation I don't want to drive, cook. eat off site then
do dishes eat of site or use dishwasher
make beds, you have house keeping
do laundry, what do you do in a Disney hotel? do the same
or clean. again, house keeping

If I have to add that in, I will look elsewhere. I understand that we are all not alike, but on my first date my my DH I asked if he liked camping. Nope. Good, because my idea of roughing it back then was Howard Johnsons.

On a disney vacation I don't want to drive, cook. eat off site then
do dishes eat of site or use dishwasher
make beds, you have house keeping
do laundry, what do you do in a Disney hotel? do the same
or clean. again, house keeping

If I have to add that in, I will look elsewhere. I understand that we are all not alike, but on my first date my my DH I asked if he liked camping. Nope. Good, because my idea of roughing it back then was Howard Johnsons.

No driving. From Airport to airport...no driving needed if I stay onsite. I'm good with paying for my onsite food.
No dishwashers needed...I don't cook.

I take enough clothing. No laundry services necessary.

Yes, offsite hotels have housekeeping.

Someone 'splain please.

This is an "it depends" answer. Leaving property for a restaurant is not that big of a deal. Eating in the room is not that big of a deal for me. I used to leave the park mid day anyway and would have only two big meals on vacation and snack the rest of the time. Some of those snack were wall mart some were WDW. Since I was leaving mid day all that trekking is now moot for me because I was doing it anyway. I was DVC and also did Vistana Villages a few times. load the dishwasher as you go there is not all that much clean up. Quick and easy. That's not to say I never ate in the parks it was probably a 50/50 mix

That was before Kids

I would never expect my young kids or my wife who was nursing at the time to wait to eat. (last time there was 2013)

It all depends. it is not as bad as your post makes it sound, but certain circumstances will shift the ease level one way or the other.

We are planning on going again next year. I will probably eat more on property than not, but it will be mostly QS.

No driving. From Airport to airport...no driving needed if I stay onsite. I'm good with paying for my onsite food.
No dishwashers needed...I don't cook.

I take enough clothing. No laundry services necessary.

Yes, offsite hotels have housekeeping.
Cool

Easy, we generally take a lunchable or similar into the park. We eat on the light side at lunch due to all the walking and such. As far as travel, I can be in my room with my feet kicked up while resort guests are still standing in the cattle stalls waiting on a bus. Except for MK because of the trip to TTC of course. We leave about 2ish when crowds build, go back to the condo, swim, eat there or go out to eat, whatever, then head back to the parks if we wish. I honestly thought Disney transportation was the bomb until I tried without it. Ill never ride it again. It is sooo much easier to take your own car.

I agree with that last part. We use our car too except to MK and even then, we really have to think about not using the car.

Sometimes, b/c we have APs, we only hit the parks in the evening after having breakfast/lunch/swimming/resort activities all day (offsite, we tend to stay 11-12 days at Bonnet Creek). So, for 4-5 hours once the heat of the day is passed, we also walk in with about nothing and can enjoy and then head home for dinner. We love doing this on days there's a huge storm around 2-3pm b/c parks clear and make riding rides really easy.

This is how we currently tour too, so I can see how this would definitely be more convenient

PS - This plan, starting with fruit and juice or milk (and ending with nightly fruit smoothies), also keeps the kids systems "consistent" and lets me never say "no" to "crap" in parks...if they want nuggets and fries for every park meal, that's fine b/c they are eating 2 non-crap meals a day...

Hmm, I never thought of being able to make smoothies. I love a good smoothie and there is nowhere on property to do that. I agree with you that making breakfast in the room is the way I prefer to do things, but hubby LOVES his breakfasts and I'm not making them so we have to go eat somewhere, but man, I am good with just a smoothie and starting my day.

Dear Everyone,

1. Rent condo with full kitchen off site.
2. Cook easy meals or eat off site.
3. Stay rigid schedule free.
4. Save thousands of dollars.
5. Use thousands in saving to go to Disney more often.
6. Return to this thread to thank me.

When you said all of that, all i could think about was all the time taken away from the parks.

That doesn't work for me, i like to maximize my time at the parks as much as possible.

This is how we currently tour too, so I can see how this would definitely be more convenient

Hmm, I never thought of being able to make smoothies. I love a good smoothie and there is nowhere on property to do that. I agree with you that making breakfast in the room is the way I prefer to do things, but hubby LOVES his breakfasts and I'm not making them so we have to go eat somewhere, but man, I am good with just a smoothie and starting my day.

We do both healthy and alcoholic ones...best device on vacation is the blender:)...

I always have vanilla ice cream and vanilla yogurt...tons of fruit...OJ/milk/chocolate sauce...and Kalhua Mudslide mix and Jose Cuervo Margarita mix (alcohols already in)...I like my alcohol "lighter" so I take the mixes and blend with some fruit and ice (for the margaritas) or ice cream or milk and ice (for the Mudslides) and my spouse will share that with me and then have his beer or bourbon on ice later!:) My mom, who frequently travels with us, also loves these "lighter alcohol" versions and tends to join in:)...

I can make (and use up) any fresh fruit substance in the blender and when you deal with 6 people, make it for about nothing versus what I'd pay for 6 park smoothies or milk shakes (or so help me, the alcoholic ones:)). Sometimes, after a day at the parks, my kids will just have the smoothies with a sliced apple with PB and call it a night (they get to pick their dinner from anything we can make in 2 minutes)...I can walk in my room and whip up enough smoothies for all the kids about 2 minutes after we walk in, while they decide on their food options (again, keeping meltdowns at bay and rehydrating at the same time they feel like they are getting spoiled rotten)...then I rinse the blender (if I feel like having an alcoholic drink for me) and do it again in another 2 minutes and will dishwash it with the rest of the dishes that night:)...it helps having the auto-ice maker...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter