Disney Dining Plan

I agree. We’ve been doing QS for a while and whole we can cut our expenses and make it cheaper, that means tuna sandwich in the room. There a lot of nice quality QS that don’t require ADRs or tips which makes it easy. Eggs and bacon are actually snack options and during festivals snack options work for samples. I wish it would be back in time foe my trip on 9/12 but it’s not looking good.

In order for the dining plan to truly save you money, you have to eat the same way the plan is structured. In other words, if EACH person in your travel party would always get two snacks per day, a drink and dessert at each meal, and a reusable mug - then you may save money with DxDP. If you normally would share desserts or not get it all, or if you're not a snacker, or if you drink water - you're probably not going to find savings. People often see the bill at the end of their meal and think they've gotten a great deal with the plan, but the truth is the minority of people eat the way the plan is structured and are only eating in alignment with the plan because its included. Because of this, the best thing to do is plan out your meals and then look at the menus - pick out exactly what you'd want to order (not what the entitlements allow) and then compare that cost to the cost of DxDP.

Another thing to consider is that you are still expected to tip on the total cost of the bill. With the entitlements, the meals add up quickly which can lead to a significant cost in gratuity. If you don't want something and decide not to order it, you will save on that total cost when it comes to gratuity but you'll be losing an entitlement you otherwise paid for. The dining plans are priced in a way where Disney will come out ahead a majority of the time, so you do pay for each element of the plan.

Its a very subjective thing since everyone eats and vacations differently. We do not eat the way the dining plan is structured at all so we never save money with it, but I don't discount the value of the convenience of it from a budgeting perspective and for allowing that all-inclusive mindset for people.

Interesting, are you a DVC member?
If so I have seen more value out of just using my DVC card than tables in wonderland, I want to say it is a free 10 percent discount.
We are DVC and TIW, and there's definitely more discounts available for dining with TIW. That being said, it's not clear that will be returning!

The beauty of the Disney Dining Plan is simple. If you feel it makes your trip more convenient by pre-paying a number of meals/snacks and not having to worry about it, go for it and take advantage. If you don't feel it saves money and is more trouble than it's worth, it's optional! Our family finds better value (based on how we dine) paying as we go and using discounts like DVC, AP, TIW than we do DDP. So we don't do it. For those of you who are missing it, I hope it comes back! I expect it will!

We are DVC and TIW, and there's definitely more discounts available for dining with TIW. That being said, it's not clear that will be returning!

The beauty of the Disney Dining Plan is simple. If you feel it makes your trip more convenient by pre-paying a number of meals/snacks and not having to worry about it, go for it and take advantage. If you don't feel it saves money and is more trouble than it's worth, it's optional! Our family finds better value (based on how we dine) paying as we go and using discounts like DVC, AP, TIW than we do DDP. So we don't do it. For those of you who are missing it, I hope it comes back! I expect it will!
Disney have already said it will come back soon

We aren't foodies. Our ideal vacation dining is one TS meal per day. It isn't that we eat like birds (certainly DH doesn't). It is just that we don't care enough about food to designate a lot of time for it. So it isn't about money. For our postponed trip planned pre-lockdown I'd planned a split stay with the dining plan added at the beginning. We were doing PPO Aker and pre-fireworks Biergarten dinner. I'd titled that "EATING DAY".

ETA: Sometimes long waits for food can change that. For example, on our recent Universal Studios trips we made two TS reservations per day just to make sure we had access to food. But it is still about limiting time on food. For our Disney trip in a few months, we will probably pack a lot of snacks and eat when we leave mid-day for rest breaks.

Last edited:
We don’t do the dining plan Main ly because it feels like so much food And it doesn’t fit our style. We don’t eat snacks usually, we always get a one bedroom DVC room so we eat breakfast in the room, we rarely do parks (maybe once or twice in a two week trip) so we eat at the pool most days (sharing A meal and that’s the only quick service restaurant we usually go to) ) and we go to signature restaurants at night. For us we got more value out of the tables in wonderland card because of the 20% discount on food and alcohol. I’m hoping that comes back.

That's us too. I'm not optimistic about TIW coming back. They listed the discount with the APs as being UP TO 20% so I think that was their idea of including that discount.

We love the dining plan. We take advantage of the alcoholic beverage with every meal (drinks are expensive). And we order the most expensive things on the menu. I also love the ease of it.

Where I will say they get us is the gratuity. If we spend $200 on a dinner because we are ordering $60 lobster and drinking $25 glasses of wine instead of $35 fish and an $8 beer, the extra tip money sure does add up!

Not sure if it is worth it for families. But for two adults who like good food and cocktails, we love it.

That's us too. I'm not optimistic about TIW coming back. They listed the discount with the APs as being UP TO 20% so I think that was their idea of including that discount.

We heard that that the AP food discounts would remain unchanged. Things like Joffrey's are 20%. The rest will stay at 10%. I am holding out hope on TIW. Otherwise, wouldn't they have just removed the website?

For maybe three trips, I kept records of how much we spent on dining at WDW since I wanted to see if the dining plan was worth it. We never even came close to what a dining plan would've cost. But, as PPs have said, it all depends on your eating style--how much, how often, and what kind of restaurants you frequent.

My sister and I usually have breakfast and lunch and maybe a snack or two. Breakfast is QS 98% of the time--and sometimes we don't even have a real breakfast if we RD and just grab something. Lunch is split maybe 70/30 between TS and QS. Based on the former prices of the dining plan--about $78/person/day--we would've spent at least $50 more per day on the dining plan than paying out-of-pocket. So, not for us.

We love the dining plan. We take advantage of the alcoholic beverage with every meal (drinks are expensive).

That is another thing that makes it harder for us to get value out of the DDP. We do drink, but not while spending time outside. Last thing I need is something else to dehydrate me. Then you add in our adult-priced child.

That is another thing that makes it harder for us to get value out of the DDP. We do drink, but not while spending time outside. Last thing I need is something else to dehydrate me. Then you add in our adult-priced child.
I forgot to mention that neither my sister nor I drink alcoholic beverages--so that benefit is lost on us. We also don't use the refillable mugs, since we're not soda or coffee drinkers, either. That can definitely factor into the cost of the dining plan.

I have to chime in again with one additional piece of advice: It used to be very easy to figure out ahead of time if any of the dining plans would work for your particular needs. All you had to do was look at the menus of the places where you intended to eat, figure out roughly what you'd get, and add up the totals. Yes, this would take time, but it'd be better to figure this out beforehand than afterward.

We always get the deluxe and love it. We are foodies and love to eat and try new things. I also like having it prepaid and not having to worry about it. I always (and I know this is a waste of money so no need to point it out) use the remaining snack credits and meal credits if we have any to buy treats to bring back to my office. If I was paying out of pocket I would not be near as generous as I am with snack credits.

I could take it or leave it. I found it curious though last time I called in regarding my reservation
and the cast member said it was the 1st or 2nd thing most called about. Maybe many people here
just don't like it. We are a party of 16 going in December and only my family prob won't get it. The
other 11 or 12 want it but they are casual WDW visitors.

I have to chime in again with one additional piece of advice: It used to be very easy to figure out ahead of time if any of the dining plans would work for your particular needs. All you had to do was look at the menus of the places where you intended to eat, figure out roughly what you'd get, and add up the totals. Yes, this would take time, but it'd be better to figure this out beforehand than afterward.

There is a webpage that will do that figuring for you. I have no idea what the link is, I just google every time I need to use it.

I’m high maintenance.
It was never a question of if it would save me money just how much

i did exactly that one snowy day this past winter. I literally looked up everything that I know my family would eat, and where. We were about even, with a slight savings with the dining plan. Add to that the convenience of pre-paying and the resort mugs, the dining plan is a no brainer for my family.

I could take it or leave it. I found it curious though last time I called in regarding my reservation
and the cast member said it was the 1st or 2nd thing most called about. Maybe many people here
just don't like it. We are a party of 16 going in December and only my family prob won't get it. The
other 11 or 12 want it but they are casual WDW visitors.

At one time, we were going with another family. The plan was to get one deluxe plan between both families and split it. That would have been awesome. If I remember right it was 1.5 TS plus a snack /pp/day for around $50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter