• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dining Rumors

This was what bothered me the most! We typically eat a lot of signature meals, and for our 8 day drip, extra alcoholic drinks and tips added up to almost $1,000 on top of the dining plan cost.
We are the same way, however I am a planner so I would create a spreadsheet with all of our reservations and then go through and figure out the cost of our meals based on what everyone would likely order, and then figure out the 18-20% tip. This way I knew how much in tips to expect and usually added 20% on top of that. So for our family of 4 on the deluxe plan we would have signature meals at least three to four times on a 7 day trip. I usually put aside $400-500 for tips, usually worked out for us. But then again, we usually didn't get more than the one alcoholic drink.

Question:
Would you rather pay more or would you rather pay more credits for items?
Neither, I find that there is just too much food to consume on the plans. On occasion, my wife and I can split a burger and fries. This alone saves me money. We also aren't big on snacks. So they would just go to waste. I also find it very inconvenient to walk to the main building/lobby to get a 12 oz soda in my "free" cup.

I only had the dining plan once when it was a promo in 2007. Then tips were included.

Neither, I find that there is just too much food to consume on the plans. On occasion, my wife and I can split a burger and fries. This alone saves me money. We also aren't big on snacks. So they would just go to waste. I also find it very inconvenient to walk to the main building/lobby to get a 12 oz soda in my "free" cup.

I only had the dining plan once when it was a promo in 2007. Then tips were included.

We did the dining plan once in 2018. It was only because we couldn't swing a hotel discount, so we opted for the free dining. At the end of the trip we still had most of our snack credits and some of the quick service credits as well (which could be swapped for 3 snack credits, giving us even more :crazy2:). We ended up going to Disney Springs and grabbing tons of non-perishable snacks just to use all the credits up. Our son took most of it back to college after Christmas break and shared it with his roommates. College students will eat anything if it's free! :rotfl2:

But I mean no offense to folks that love the DP. I understand that it works for a lot of people and they enjoy the convenience. It just doesn't work for us. I do wish TIW would come back, but I'm not holding my breath. I doubt that's as big of a money maker as the DP is for Disney.

We did the dining plan once in 2018. It was only because we couldn't swing a hotel discount, so we opted for the free dining. At the end of the trip we still had most of our snack credits and some of the quick service credits as well (which could be swapped for 3 snack credits, giving us even more :crazy2:). We ended up going to Disney Springs and grabbing tons of non-perishable snacks just to use all the credits up. Our son took most of it back to college after Christmas break and shared it with his roommates. College students will eat anything if it's free! :rotfl2:

But I mean no offense to folks that love the DP. I understand that it works for a lot of people and they enjoy the convenience. It just doesn't work for us. I do wish TIW would come back, but I'm not holding my breath. I doubt that's as big of a money maker as the DP is for Disney.

We did free dining a few times until we got tired of stuffing ourselves. The first few times were shorter trips, which is more manageable, but on later trips by the end of an 8 night stay we started to dread eating. We'd hit up the Karamell Kuche on our last day to use up snack credits.

On one trip we found out on our last day that one restaurant hadn't used our meal credits, so we had 2 extra TS credits to use. It was like torture, you have to EAT EVEN MORE. 😩 I know, I know, we could've just not used them, but I wasn't raised to waste like that.

I agree with OP. Price will go up significantly and things will be removed such as refillable mugs and, even more likely, alcoholic beverages.

Tiw works so much better for us. Alcohol is discounted as well and I like to invite family and friends down. I become the hero when I am to chop 20% off the top of the entire bill.

I can only imagine TiW is a money maker for Disney for only locals visit Disney restaurants more often due to the discount. Someone like myself who travels 1200 miles a few times year, they lose money because I am a captured audience already inside the bubble.
Every other year, I make 3 trips in a 12 month period totaling 24 days inside the bubble. It pays for itself many times over when you factor in the alcohol savings.

Not sure TIW would be worth it if you purchase one of the new Annual Passes. From what I have read there will be a 20% discount, and tip will not be mandatory. Where as TIW was an 20% discount with a mandatory 18% tip--no matter if the service was poor.

Not sure TIW would be worth it if you purchase one of the new Annual Passes. From what I have read there will be a 20% discount, and tip will not be mandatory. Where as TIW was an 20% discount with a mandatory 18% tip--no matter if the service was poor.

The new Annual Pass offers savings of UP TO 20% on dining, merchandise & more. I'm not sure many will offer the 20%.

Actually the wording is "up to 20%" discount on the new AP's. There has always been a handful of places (like Joffrey's carts) that get a 20% AP discount, while most everything else was 10% (or nothing). Anyone thinking that the new AP's are coming with a 20% dining discount at most restaurants is in for a rude surprise, I'm afraid.

never understood the logic of paying an arm and a leg upfront so you don’t have to worry about paying during the trip…I guess it’s a Jedi mind trick

Yes, and one that works on my husband. With the dining plan I never have to convince him to stop and eat, never have to justify table service over quick serve, and never have to starve until I am so hangry I am biting people because I have heard too many " after this" statements.

That said, we usually break even if not save a bit because I am on vacation and I am eating the dessert and I don't care if it costs more than a burger and fries and a glass of water.

They have taken away reasons to eat on-site, many will get a car, due to no more magical express, just as easy to eat offsite when you are not stuck on grounds. One of our best meals last trip was at Universal city walk, The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. Free parking and not too far away. I love everything Disney, but Chapek is destroying what made it special. I have never seen a Disney Park celebration with less celebration. I was at the 25th, Walt's Birthday, and Disneyland's 25th, and all of them were huge with so many unique and special events and experiences. This one is all about what they can take away, what they can get away with charging guests to use, and how much more they can charge.

This was what bothered me the most! We typically eat a lot of signature meals, and for our 8 day drip, extra alcoholic drinks and tips added up to almost $1,000 on top of the dining plan cost.
how did that "bother" you? I mean when I go I know the tips and alcoholic drinks are additional. It always has been. If I am drinking, I know I have to pay. And believe me I spend that much and more every trip. Heck, the bar bill at the Boathouse alone last time we were there was over $250. Same for the bill at the Ditch. We used to get the TIW card so the tips were basically paid and the drinks were discounted.

The only time our AP discount was better than TiW was the year they gave 20% off at nearly every restaurant. That year, even with alcohol added to TiW, it wasn't worth it. Every other year, TiW saved us a huge amount over 2-3 trips. When there were 4 of us, we were in the black in less than 1 trip.
If TiW comes back, it will depend on what the real discount is for APs and what restaurants are included.

We just got back last week and missed the DP. We spent a little less but didn't treat ourselves as much. We would've had more deserts, alcoholic beverages, and snacks with the small discount the DP allows. They would've made much more $ off us if weren't watching every $ as we paid for each meal. We did have the 10% AP discount at most TS, which helped a little but took a bit more of an effort. They can't raise the price much because it wouldn't make any sense to purchase.

A few years ago, we spent 8 days at WDW. I carefully recorded every penny we spent on food. Afterwards, I compared that to what the dining plan options would have cost us. In any scenario, for our family, we always would have spend more using a dining plan. That's just us, but any cost increases just widens the gap.

I personally love the dining plan. Hope it's coming back soon. Most certainly a price increase. I'd like to see the mugs stay, especially since all their machines are already RFID prepared anyway. Adult beverages will probably be an add-on service like on the cruises or be in the higher tiers. I hope they provide some more flexibility, although I'm probably asking for too much.
I would like to see them add mugs for INSIDE the parks. I really enjoyed that at UO. also at A smaller park, Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana. there you get FREE fountain drinks and sunscreen. yet disney can't even give us a deal on drinks

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the alcohol included. The problem with it being included is that the 10-20 year-olds basically pay for alcohol that they can't drink. Because it isn't free, it is just included in the price.

Also, while we drink, we don't at parks. The last thing I need is something to dehydrate me more. And DH doesn't drink alone.

We've gone about 10 times in the past 5 years and we've used the dining plan 3 of those times. We're dvc at BLT so we don't get it free

We pay full price for the dining plan and it has been more than worth it every single time. Every meal we've done has been something along the lines of ohana or something expensive. I have a lot of kids so I'm usually buying a ton of snacks regardless so all the included snacks are a huge savings.

We've done the math every time and the dining plan has been more than worth it for us at least.

Just a thought. Assuming onsite benefits are null. And for people that won't do early entry I think that is true. Couldn't people put just the parents on the reservation and get the dining plan? So, you could get the deluxe plan for 2 adults, and there would also be 2 kids actually using it. So for every person there would be 1.5 TS meals a day and a snack. Sort of like when a big group gets two rooms and puts the dining on only one room. The room would be less than room occupancy, so there wouldn't be a problem there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter