• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney dropping mask requirements for outdoors.

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
I read this a few minutes ago, and I'm having a little bit of anxiety. I have a trip in December, I truly hope they keep the physical distancing guidelines. While many guests are respectful towards others, many are not. I hope that covid cases and outbreaks have decreased enough for this not to be a problem by then. I know it seems like progress, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it. If the Canadian border restrictions are in place by end of October, I'll cancel my trip anyway.

Thoughts?

The ball is rolling now and I feel like mask/physical distance restrictions will be lifted quickly in Disney at this point.

I imagine there will be lots of unmasked, unvaccinated people walking around Disney now. I would not be heading down there until my whole family is fully vaccinated.

Give it time. At least with a December trip you have time to see how this is all playing out.

First off I understand your thoughts and concerns. This is uncharted territory and I encourage people to really analyze what they are seeing and ask themselves if they feel its safe for them and their particular situations.
Here is our thinking. We are booked for January and that gives us time to really watch and see what is unfolding. One particular point to note is that FLA is not being forthcoming with data or case numbers .. they just aren't. Their tourism economy is far more important. So you aren't going to be able to look to those numbers like you would in Canada. (If anyone would like further info on this, I direct them to the Orlando Sentinel law suit against the FLA public health department to get access to variant data which they would not release.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...0210318-nf2fylemwza4th57qm27ex66ky-story.html

So our plan for January is to sit and watch what's happening. So much could unfold between now and then that we are actually in the perfect position to just wait and see. My personal requirements for this trip to happen are 1. A fully vaccinated family 2. Non Essential travel restrictions lifted ( willing to do testing if not terribly expensive) 3. no major outbreaks or waves.. I don't want to be a risk to people while I am in Florida or a risk to my own community when I return, so I'm going to be cautious and rebook our trip if we are still in the weeds next winter.

So , lots to think about. At this point I am more concerned about a variant that our vaccines don't cover causing another wave next winter. If our vaccines hold up and more and more of both countries are vaccinated I think we are good to go otherwise.

I think there will also be many who are concerned it is happening too quickly. The good thing is you have some time to see how this works out, not just at Disney but in the U.S. as a whole.

I feel badly for those who might be in the middle of a WDW trip this week and perhaps made the choice to go based on the existing mask policy at the time, especially with their unvaccinated children.

It's not that I don't want all the restrictions to go away, and I expect to be fully vaccinated by that time, but it seems too early to me. Before this, my thinking was that as long as the border restriction was dropped I would still go. There's almost 7 months before my trip, maybe my anxiety will have subsided by then. I go back and forth from day to day. No one can predict what the situation will be by then.

I think my fear as the vaccine stops you from getting really ill and requiring hospitalization but you can still get it and test positive and then what ? You are stuck there until you test negative and of it goes through the whole family .. it could be awhile before you can return home .

It’s a whole different world south of the border.

I will be checking the Disney website and following the Here and Now thread (Theme Parks board) to see how things are and decide how comfortable I am going when we get closer to our trip. Distancing has already been a challenge for a while now compared to what I experience here.

I think my fear as the vaccine stops you from getting really ill and requiring hospitalization but you can still get it and test positive and then what ? You are stuck there until you test negative and of it goes through the whole family .. it could be awhile before you can return home .
Does canada still require a neg test to travel even when vaccinated? I believe the US is stopping this policy so it would be on that side to hope for that change .

Does canada still require a neg test to travel even when vaccinated? I believe the US is stopping this policy so it would be on that side to hope for that change .

this was in CDC website now so yes for international travel at this time it appears

Attachments

• FB915F5F-BD92-4439-92AD-2F2644F98215.png
    FB915F5F-BD92-4439-92AD-2F2644F98215.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 16C54AE2-CFBB-496D-BD9B-01E338F3F1E3.png
    16C54AE2-CFBB-496D-BD9B-01E338F3F1E3.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 11
I really think things are going to change very quickly. The research shows us that Covid transmission outdoors is very low. As well we are learning that fully vaccinated people are quite unlikely to transmit the virus. That's two positives right there. I am happy to continue to mask indoors. The only things holding me back from being 100% on board with my August trip is the border being closed, the recommendations against non essential travel and quarantine requirements. Once those are lifted, we are going. I am feeling more optimistic every day!

I read this a few minutes ago, and I'm having a little bit of anxiety. I have a trip in December, I truly hope they keep the physical distancing guidelines. While many guests are respectful towards others, many are not. I hope that covid cases and outbreaks have decreased enough for this not to be a problem by then. I know it seems like progress, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it. If the Canadian border restrictions are in place by end of October, I'll cancel my trip anyway.

Thoughts?

Don't cancel!!! December is so far off still and all of this ( pandemic) has a pattern of evolving. Things have continually evolved on the > upside since vaccinations.

Don't cancel!!! December is so far off still and all of this ( pandemic) has a pattern of evolving. Things have continually evolved on the > upside since vaccinations.
Thanks for the support. :) I'm hanging onto my reservation for now. I won't be considering cancelling until at least Sept/Oct.

I'm here now. The number of people who ignore the distancing markers is beyond astounding. I've been vaccinated so I'm not overly worried but I prefer my bit of space to remain un-invaded by total strangers. I've asked numerous people to please back up and mind the distance markers while waiting in lines. Yesterday while eating these two people walked up right next to my table at Jock Lindsey's to view the scenery & vehicles from the Boathouse. They weren't even patrons at Jock Lindsey's. The husband told the wife they needed to move because they were in my clearly marked space but she just ignored him. They hung out for a good 5 minutes and finally left. If you are worried I don't think you will be wanting to visit Disney anytime soon. Come January unless there is a drastic turn for the worse I doubt there will be any restrictions in place anymore. I dread the return of CM's telling guests to "fill in all available space".

I'm here now. The number of people who ignore the distancing markers is beyond astounding. I've been vaccinated so I'm not overly worried but I prefer my bit of space to remain un-invaded by total strangers. I've asked numerous people to please back up and mind the distance markers while waiting in lines. Yesterday while eating these two people walked up right next to my table at Jock Lindsey's to view the scenery & vehicles from the Boathouse. They weren't even patrons at Jock Lindsey's. The husband told the wife they needed to move because they were in my clearly marked space but she just ignored him. They hung out for a good 5 minutes and finally left. If you are worried I don't think you will be wanting to visit Disney anytime soon. Come January unless there is a drastic turn for the worse I doubt there will be any restrictions in place anymore. I dread the return of CM's telling guests to "fill in all available space".
I mean this isnt policy this is just people being @ssholes. I would have asked the waiter to handle it. This would bother me pre covid.

I think lots more will be relaxed based on how fast it’s coming now.
I also think it will be similar in Canada in a few months. There will be people that won’t feel comfortable but I personally am very happy to see this.We will go end of august if border restrictions ease. Soooo happy life is starting to look more and more normal each day. Yes it’s accelerated in the States but so are their vaccines, but we will get there and based on the sheer fact that our government is finally starting to talk about easing restrictions probably way before December. The risk can’t be fully eliminated. I know people that said they will not feel comfortable to travel or go to a theme park for a year or two! That’s fine but (and I mean this in a nice and polite way) you can’t expect Disney and most other businesses to operate at 35% capacity forever. I say they did far longer than they had to... they reduced physical distancing, dropped temp checking and masks in the last little bit. If things don’t change with covid I expect most of the restrictions to be dropped this Fall.

I was a little taken aback by this announcement too. But I think we are at a different place than Americans with our half-vaxxed by summer goal. Around here, in the last few months is when people STARTED wearing masks outdoor (some and usually in places where likely to encounter others) vs. the U.S. where masks were being worn outside much earlier in the pandemic and many have stopped over the last few months from what I've heard. Hopefully by the time of your trip, we'll be mostly fully vaxxed and you will feel comfortable.

Over the last couple days, I've been on the sidelines of some emotion-filled conversations/disagreements among American friends on social media over the new no masking policies. Some are so excited and feel they've followed the rules for so long including getting vaccinated so have earned this and others are very upset knowing that really gives permission for all to go maskless and they are worried about their children or others who can't be vaccinated.

We have reservations for the first week of December. So much WILL change by the fall, I can guarantee it.

Once the entire country is vaccinated, they can't keep these restrictions in place. They have been using that line the entire pandemic "Everyone get vaccinated so we can get back to normal."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter