Disney Fall Internship Program

theemster

Earning My Ears
My sister just recieved her acceptance for the Fall 2005 WDW Internship Program! She learned that she will be working customer service in one of the resorts. All of you past cast members out there, what is the most important advice you have about this program that I can pass along to her? :earsgirl: Thanks everyone!

My advice is pretty simple.

Make the most of your program. Yes, work is a big part of the program, but not the only part. Take advantage of some of the volunteer opportunities or networking opportunities offered to you. It'll make the program seem much more worthwhile. (also, resist the temptation to just party through the whole program ... some partying is OK, but remember, first and foremost, you're there to work)

Know what you want to get out of the program before you go down there, and set goals to make it happen. If you're going down mostly because you want a career in ______ and you know Disney has a great reputation in _______, that's great -- but know that, be able to articulate it, and be able to formulate a tentative plan that'll help you take advantage of it -- everything from classes to mentors to anything else. Things will change, but if you know what you want from the beginning, you'll have a much greater likelihood of getting what you want out of the program.

Take advantage of the things offered to you as a CP. There are special "Conversations with..." and "Career Insights" programs just for CPs, classes, behind-the-scenes tours, character breakfasts, social programming and all kinds of other things ONLY for CP's. Don't only go to things that your friends or roommates are going to. Take advantage of as many of them as you can - even if it's something you're only marginally interested in, because you never know what could happen.

Remember that there are three parts to the program -- living, learning, and earning. There is no guarantee that all of those parts will be perfect all of the time, but that's the great thing -- they all work together, and no one thing will entirely consume your life. Maybe your roommates suck, but you could absolutely love your job and your other friends. Maybe you're not thrilled with your work location, but you still get to go home to great people and take classes you enjoy. Balance is important, and hard to achieve at the beginning (you will feel like you are ALWAYS at work), but it's worth working hard to acheive it -- you'll be a lot happier.

For a lot of people, there is an inevitable slump after your first couple of weeks on the program. The excitement of actually being there has worn off, your roommates who you loved at first can't seem to do the dishes to save their lives, and haven't realized that taking out the trash means it actually has to leave the apartment, you're always at work, the amount of work you're doing doesn't seem proportional to the checks you've been getting, and you're just not sure if this is the right thing for you. THIS WILL PASS. Just do your best to get through it -- this is where that work/life balance becomes very, very important.

Bring your camera everywhere, and (though now that everyone has digital cameras, it's probably not so much of an issue) actually take and develop your pictures. Trust me when I say you will regret it if you don't -- there are so many times I didn't take a camera because we were just running over to someone's apartment, and we wound up doing something crazy I wish I had pictures of. (Like setting up a slip and slide in the very back of Chatham...)

Go places and do things outside of property and other theme parks. There is more to Orlando than Disney, Universal and I-Drive. There are restaurants that are not chains. There are more bars than the ones on PI, Bennigans, Cheers, and Jungle Jim's. Get to know the city you're living in, even if you're only there for 5 months. Being able to literally get away from it all is a great way to relax and let go. Check out the popular places up by UCF. Go to the art museum downtown. See one of the free popcorn flicks in the park presented by the Enzian in Winter Park -- bring a blanket, bug spray and a picnic. Go to a Magic game.

Most of all, don't be afraid to try new things. And have fun!

after Kate's long post, i'll keep my post short... This is some advice i got from an alumni of the program and Its the best advice I got....

Never find yourself sitting alone doing nothing in your apartment. Your only in florida 4-6 months, and even though it seems like a long time, it isnt. Go out, go knock on random doors and find something to do with someone or yourself.

jimmybop said:
after Kate's long post, i'll keep my post short... This is some advice i got from an alumni of the program and Its the best advice I got....

Never find yourself sitting alone doing nothing in your apartment. Your only in florida 4-6 months, and even though it seems like a long time, it isnt. Go out, go knock on random doors and find something to do with someone or yourself.
Thanks for that advice. May I knock on your door?

I am new to this board but I will be there this fall. Jimmybop has helped answer a lot of my questions and I am sure he would love to answer more. My role in on operations. Do you know when your sister is moving in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter