Disney Genie announcement

Used MaxPass at DL and FP+ at WDW. Yes, one person could organise fastpasses for the entire party. Everyone did have to be scanned in at the turnstiles first but that could also be done on one phone. MP worked really well and was superior to FP+ imo and was worth the cost at DL. We will wait and see how similar Genie+ actually is to MP as the big advantage with MP was the ability to “stack” fastpasses throughout the day. Maintaining this feature from MP in Genie+ would be a big factor in how successful and usable it would be.
This is what I am curious about how it will work for booking your next pass. We used Max Pass at DL on a few trips and found it very useful. I am hopeful it will work the same because some days we would be going from ride to ride with fast passes and then be able to take a break for a longer lunch or back to the hotel and have a couple for the evening. It was also nice to have photo pass included as well so that part being taken away is unfortunate.

Let's not forget that VQ rides have a 1pm release too that has a higher chance to get a BG. Of course worst-case scenario's will sound very bad, but we should see how everything goes the first few weeks before passing judgement.

Note, I'm a fan of G+ and even OK with them selling IA$$$. But, it makes sense that there will be less chance to get on using the 1PM BG drop. Everyone that that got a morning BG and everyone that got a IA$$$ will get on first.

I don't have an upcoming trip, but I'm breaking out in a nervous sweat just trying to keeping up with changes so I'm at least somewhat prepared for the next trip. 112 pages is a LOT of reading!

Yeah, I'm following along without a trip booked too. My plan is to wait and read the experiences here when the system is rolled out.

Paying for any ride once I have already bought a ticket that costs hundreds of dollars per person is ridiculous. We couldn't even get the tickets for the Star Wars ride at 7am. We are ride family. That is what we go to do. If I can't ride every ride I want as many times as I want on a trip then there is no point in going. Thanks for the heads up. It will be Europe every year from now on.

Disney is simply treating people who are willing to spend more money better than those who are not. Disney doesn't care if a family stops going because there is probably another family right behind that one who will pay the extra cost. They are counting on that.

I have an upcoming trip in December, and we will inevitably get G+ which will add ANOTHER $400-$500 to the cost of our trip. My husband is incredulous. I am resigned and nervous. I don't like not knowing what the cost of the IA$ (thanks to whoever broke that down on page 111) because I am a budgeter on our trips and I like to know what to budget for. Not having the DP is already throwing a wrench in my budgeting lol.

I'll say one more thing about G+, cost aside. I'm EXHAUSTED of my phone. I hate the fact that we have to tote them everywhere we go in the parks just to use all the features of being on vacation. I would love it if I could just leave it in the room. I miss the FP kiosk days tbh. I guess I'm getting old.

I have an upcoming trip in December, and we will inevitably get G+ which will add ANOTHER $400-$500 to the cost of our trip. My husband is incredulous. I am resigned and nervous. I don't like not knowing what the cost of the IA$ (thanks to whoever broke that down on page 111) because I am a budgeter on our trips and I like to know what to budget for. Not having the DP is already throwing a wrench in my budgeting lol.

I'll say one more thing about G+, cost aside. I'm EXHAUSTED of my phone. I hate the fact that we have to tote them everywhere we go in the parks just to use all the features of being on vacation. I would love it if I could just leave it in the room. I miss the FP kiosk days tbh. I guess I'm getting old.
You make a great point about the phones...which made me think of a question I have: on the My Disney Experience App I have the reservations for Park Entry. It has the entire group. I assume I can just show that and get in or do each of the people need a separate way to show their reservation? Obviously since 2 are young children, they won't be separate from me. And do we do the same for Dining reservations? Just use the App on my phone? How about the Genie+...will that be on a phone only as well? Dang!! I hate carrying a phone!

You make a great point about the phones...which made me think of a question I have: on the My Disney Experience App I have the reservations for Park Entry. It has the entire group. I assume I can just show that and get in or do each of the people need a separate way to show their reservation? Obviously since 2 are young children, they won't be separate from me. And do we do the same for Dining reservations? Just use the App on my phone? How about the Genie+...will that be on a phone only as well? Dang!! I hate carrying a phone!
The park reservations are linked to your MDE account. When you scan a MB or park ticket at the gate, a quick verification process of "Is this ticket valid?" Followed by "Does this person have a park reservation for this park?" occurs. So when each member of your party goes through the gate with their admission media, that is how their park reservations are confirmed for the day.

For dining reservations, you can check in from your phone by scanning a QR code located near the hostess podium. Or you can go old school and just tell the hostess that you have arrived.

Genie will be an app, so yes it's going to be on your smart device.

Note, I'm a fan of G+ and even OK with them selling IA$$$. But, it makes sense that there will be less chance to get on using the 1PM BG drop. Everyone that that got a morning BG and everyone that got a IA$$$ will get on first.
Without a doubt IA$ will impact free BG's, we just need to see how the balance is. If IA$ takes up 50% it will be very painful for a lot of people but if it's only 5%, that may not hurt the VQ crowd as much.

Has Disney said that VQ will still be at 7am/1pm still? Couldn't they change those times to fit in with IA$?

I've just spent the last several days learning (and trying to forget everything I knew from the last 2 decades) about planning for our November Disney trip. :headache: Thank you to everyone on the Dis for the really excellent sharing of info. This whole everything unknown is driving me totally bananas! I had things down to a science. Now my old spreadsheets are practically useless! I'm such a planner that this is making it more stressful for me, not less.

I hope they release G+ and IA$ (I like that, I used to call it Genie Plus Plus...) details soon and start it soon so I have some info to work with before November. I might be willing to pay for some IA$ depending on how the details work out. And it SURE would be nice if I could plan them ahead at some time that isn't 7am day of as one reason I would like to use it is so I don't have to get up at dawn to rope drop FoP!

At this point, after seeing the pricing for Space 220, and the Very Merry After Hours Party, I'm starting to think that my plan might end up being pay for G+/IA$ and just skip eating entirely. :sad2:
Maybe I missed this…can you get IA$ without purchasing Genie+? I think it’s gonna cost you both., but I may be wrong.
To me it seems like it's becoming Pay for genie+ or get Covid in lines indoors…

Maybe I missed this…can you get IA$ without purchasing Genie+? I think it’s gonna cost you both., but I may be wrong.
To me it seems like it's becoming Pay for genie+ or get Covid in lines indoors…
You don't need to purchase Genie+ in order to buy IA$ but you will need to have the Genie app in order to do it from your phone.

Wonder when they will start to charge for the app.
I think they will want everyone to use the app, so it will be free. There's a lot of tracking data that they can pull from the app while you wander around the park.

And it is being touted as an assistant that will help your tour more smoothly. IOW, it will be used to direct guests away from crowded areas to other parts of the park.

I think they will want everyone to use the app, so it will be free. There's a lot of tracking data that they can pull from the app while you wander around the park.

And it is being touted as an assistant that will help your tour more smoothly. IOW, it will be used to direct guests away from crowded areas to other parts of the park.
I was kidding, but would be surprised at nothing....heck they might start to charge people every time someone says genie, but charge more to say genie +....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter