Disney Genie announcement

I interpret as:

Onsite guests with Genie+ can select their first Genie+ reservation at 7:00AM and, purchase 1 IALL$ selection at 7:00AM.

Guests who are not staying onsite who have Genie+ will also be able to select their first Genie+ reservation at 7:00AM BUT, need to wait until park opening to purchase their first IALL$ selection.
This is how I was reading it, and hoping I read it wrong. When will we be able to purchase a 2nd and will there be any left? Because that affects what we would do at EE or rope drop.

I agree 100%!!! This is so much more confusing than it needs to be! I like your differentiation of titles too! Would easily make things so much clearer!

The minute they announced the names I knew it was a problem. I mean the Individual Purchase has nothing to do with Genie+ so just let it be the Lightning Pass - a name that implies that is fastest route to go. Then let the Genie+ passes actually have something to do with the Genie so guests are clear what they are doing. They are offering two completely different products you can buy through MDE - differentiate them. Aside from all the confusion this is and will cause ................. I see the poor CMs at the lines being worn down by people confused. I mean here we are almost what 10 years of FP+ and guests this summer were still trying to enter that line just because they had a ticket or a MagicBand or stayed in a hotel - but no FP+.

:earseek::earseek::earseek:

Lol. I guess the bolding didn't make my post clear because you still don't seem to understand what I was saying. Oh well.
Luv’s not the only one…I don’t have a clue what you are talking about. I think your original point was that RotR was widely considered to be the best ride anywhere, well worth IA$ dollars? There are a lot of people who would disagree with that….if that was something you were trying to say.

Last edited:
Here's a question... what if you want to ride rides in the afternoon. How do you play the LL and Genie+ game then? Like, if I wake up at 7am, will I be able to book a 3pm ROTR? (And then go back to sleep?)
But at the same time, is it worth it to pay for Genie+ that day, hoping I can ride ToT and RnRC in the afternoon as well. Again, knowing I do NOT want to go to the park in the morning.
Ugh. This is so frustrating!

Speaking for myself, we used to ride almost everything with Fastpass+—many rides more than once—and rarely, if ever, waited in long lines. Now, there is no way to recreate that experience. The closest you can come is to pay an additional ~ $140 per day for a family of four (Genie+ and two IA$), and even then you can’t ride anything twice without waiting in a long line.
Truer words never spoken!

It’s that reality that actually makes me pay attention to reported DVC buy-back threads, not that I own resorts Disney has extended such offers on.

Last edited:
Yes yes yes!!!
We are also not morning people! We sleep in.
With Fastpass+ we booked our rides for late afternoon and slept in everyday. This early morning crap is...CRAP! SO disappointed!

THIS!!!! This is my frustration! We did the same and honestly getting up one or two mornings last year to get ROTR was still junk because we are night owls and love to hang out after the parks. We always stay out late and stay up late just visiting (because after all it's VACATION!!) but we also sleep late and never rope drop. I do not want to be the one responsible for waking up at 7 a.m. every morning of my trip to plan my fastpass (yes Genie whatever) selections.

This is not only an expense but a complicated mess in our vacation. As my 15 year old said last night, "Mom, it's just not worth it."

So according to the words I placed in bold above, onsite guests only get an advantage at IA$ and not G+......losing more and more of a reason to stay onsite.

I thought I had read in rumors that the 7am was just for resort guests for Genie+. I guess that’s why it’s a rumor.

THIS!!!! This is my frustration! We did the same and honestly getting up one or two mornings last year to get ROTR was still junk because we are night owls and love to hang out after the parks. We always stay out late and stay up late just visiting (because after all it's VACATION!!) but we also sleep late and never rope drop. I do not want to be the one responsible for waking up at 7 a.m. every morning of my trip to plan my fastpass (yes Genie whatever) selections.

This is not only an expense but a complicated mess in our vacation. As my 15 year old said last night, "Mom, it's just not worth it."
We ARE rope droppers and this is not how I want to be starting my day. I liked it pre-booked with my plan ready to go.

So can you call and it now or on October 19th you can add it to your package?

Attachments

• 3E57D017-5FBB-4792-A8CD-BCA6F68069C1.png
    3E57D017-5FBB-4792-A8CD-BCA6F68069C1.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 32
Oh dining reservations are going to be a nightmare with this crap. You are basically given a time to come back to ride that you can't modify. So if it ends up on your dining reservation, tough luck. Fast pass was free so I could deal with that problem ( I also had much advance notice to make fast pass time selections )

At least with fast pass I can religiously look at my phone to get what I want sooner or later

Oh dining reservations are going to be a nightmare with this crap. You are basically given a time to come back to ride that you can't modify. So if it ends up on your dining reservation, tough luck. Fast pass was free so I could deal with that problem ( I also had much advance notice to make fast pass time selections )

At least with fast pass I can religiously look at my phone to get what I want sooner or later
When trying to obtain a reservation using Genie+ I believe it will show all available attractions that can be selected and their next available time. Their times will vary. I won't choose one that conflicts with my ADR.

It doesn't work like that. You will be able to see the time. And can just not choose it.

I believe a few guests have already asked about their dining reservations and possible conflict … Seems the castmembers are advising priority is given to keeping the correct dining reservation and attractions castmember will allow your attraction entry afterwards.
This is the instructions given to me for my SciFi Breakfast reservation and early morn boarding for Rise of the Resistance recently.

I agree the MDE / Genie is confusing to interpret . It seems everything I read is followed by a conflict and Not , maybe not, this is not, could not be , possibly is Not but maybe … Not happy !

Great thread.

Trying to get updated answers/confirmations for the following (using examples):

All are non-paid ride options staying on property

1. I make a Genie+ reservation at 7AM for Slinky Dog. Can I choose my time based on availability (just like FP+)?
2. When I make the reservation at 7AM, the time I get/make (based on the answer to #1) for SD is 10AM. I read that I can either make another reservation 120 minutes from the time of my previous reservation request OR after I scan into the ride. I can make a new Genie+ reservation at 9AM. Right? Would this be the only way to have two open reservations at one time?
3. What is the benefit of buying Genie+ at one time for my entire trip versus of just buying the day of before 7AM?
4. With FP+ after using your initial three, if Slinky Dog continue to have availability, you could select it over and over. With Genie+, I select Slinky Dog once, even if there is plenty of availability, this ride will not be an option for me to select again during the day. Correct?
5. When I scan in at Slinky Dog at 10AM, I go to select another ride. Do we know the soonest time that would be available; 10:05, 10:15, 10:30, etc?
6. Will MDE not be updated to the night of the 18th at the earliest ?

Last edited:
When trying to obtain a reservation using Genie+ I believe it will show all available attractions that can be selected and their next available time. Their times will vary. I won't choose one that conflicts with my ADR.

Agree. Even the mockups show that one can scroll through MY DAY and select an attraction whose times work for them. If they want to see any tips that are supposedly being created based on one's existing plans you go to MY TIP BOARD.

Everything I've seen about Genie is to help one work your day based on information the Genie already knows about you. So I don't see them offering you a Lightning Lane that overlaps with an ADR. But then Disney IT could be called GL-IT-CH.

disney-genie-app-paid-fastpass-disney-world-disneyland-2.jpeg

Reminder that Genie+ and LL is optional.

Yes, they are both optional and guests can continue to visit the same as they are now. Even in the old FP+ days MANY guests did not use FP+ at all .... those folks will continue to come.

The rest was unnecessary.

My advice is to not stress out over it. You really can't change what it is going to be at this point. Just go in as an educated visitor and gather as much useful info from those who have gone before you.

To answer some of your questions:
  1. You can purchase Genie+ in advance for every day of your package. Or you can purchase it on a daily basis, beginning at 12M the day of your intended visit.
  2. At 7 AM, if you're an onsite guest, you can purchase IA$/ILL$ attractions. You will be able to choose from a number of return times for those attractions.
  3. At 7 AM, all guests who have purchased Genie+ can book their first LL reservation. You will be offered only "next available" time slots for each attraction.
  4. Just like paper FP, you will not be able to have more than one Genie+ LL reservation at a time UNLESS the LL reservation that you just made is 120+ minutes away. In that case, you will be allowed to pull another LL reservation for another attraction for an earlier time slot.
  5. You will only be allowed to use Genie+ or IA$/ILL$ once per attraction per day. So if you buy ROTR for 10 AM, you cannot purchase it again for later that day. With Genie+ if you've used it to get a POTC reservation in the morning, you will not be able to get another POTC time slot later in the day.
There's no knowing at this time how quickly Genie+ or IA$/ILL$ selections will get taken. So much of it will be a function of how many Genie+ get sold and how many LL spots will be allocated each hour. My feeling is that the more Genie+ that get sold for the day, the more time slots Disney will allocate to Genie+.
Thank you so much for the clarification!! This helps a lot!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter