Disney Genie announcement

Per allears:

While Genie is smart with park hopping in some ways, it can also experience some issues. For example, during one trip, Genie kept telling one of our reporters that they needed to go to Disney’s Hollywood Studios from EPCOT, even though the reporter had already scanned into Hollywood Studios and was there. For some reason, the free planning service never seemed to recognize that the hopping had taken place.

But, that never had a practical effect on their ability to book Genie+ selections in the park they had hopped to, so don’t let those technical issues concern you unless they affect your ability to make selections.

Question I am confused on: If you are park hopping do you have to wait until after 2 and/or after you get to the park to make any LLs (not LL$)? thanks!
Per allears
You Can Book a Genie+ Lightning Lane for the Park You’re Hopping to Before You’ve Hopped
Say you’re in Magic Kingdom at 1:30PM, and you’re eating a churro on Main Street, U.S.A., getting ready to hop to Animal Kingdom at 2PM. From the comfort of your bench, churro in hand, you can make a Genie+ Lightning Lane booking for a ride in Animal Kingdom (for any time after 2PM). Or, you can make it on the bus while you’re on the way there — you get the idea.

What the quoted poster described is exactly how it works. And what has been described by many people in this thread and elsewhere that have tried it.

That's really good to know. We always take an afternoon break, usually leave our morning park by noon so we miss the really packed time of day. We've just never booked morning FP's and I was dreading going back to the old days of walking into an afternoon park with no headliners available. We aren't about how many rides we get in, just that we get the ones we really want and that we don't stand in line for any great length of time.

When I team this with the ability to get in the individual attractions at least at the MK done with evening hours, I really am beginning to like the new system. I absolutely hate the pay per ride and just won't do it, but that is really only a issue for a very few rides.

A couple of things I learned/confirmed today:
  • You can indeed book LL in your hopper park beginning at 7AM. Tipboard will still show next available time, but when you click the LL button to reserve - it will show 2-3PM (assuming availability hasn't already moved beyond that point).
  • The 120 minute window from park opening is from the park where you made your first LL reservation. Not the park you have your park reservation at.
  • You can stack - I made three LL reservations at MK (at 7AM, 11AM, and 1PM) before entering the park.
  • Time can overlap - I had overlapping times a bunch. The system doesn't seem to care - so make sure you are paying attention to ADR time and other reservation times so you don't put yourself in a bad place.
  • You can cancel a LL reservation both before the window opens and during the return time window. As long as you cancel, it will let you book again. (I've heard rumors that there is a limit to this - like if you reserve Dumbo twice and cancel twice, you can't reserve a third time, but I did not test that).
  • Splash Mountain went down just as I arrived at the very beginning of my LL window. About ten minutes later my LL reservation was automatically converted into a pass that was good for the rest of the day at any LL attraction except the ILL$ and Peter Pan.
  • Once this happened, I was able to make another LL reservation for Splash later in the night - so the converted LL reservation did not count as my allotment for Splash.

Oh and the way they handle the LL vs. standby appears to change based on crowds/conditions. I rode Splash twice post-fireworks: once using my any attraction pass and once using the new LL reservation I made. The first time through the line they were merging the line at the second tapstile and appeared to be taking relatively equal numbers of LL and standby passengers in turn. The second time through they kept the lines totally separate and filled 2 of the 3 boats with standby passengers and the final boat with LL passengers each load. The LL definitely felt significantly longer to get through the second time even the though the line seemed about the same length, but that is anecdotal, I didn't time it or anything. I just thought it was interesting.

That's about all I've got. I feel like I got my money's worth for the LL today, but not sure how much use it will have for me in the future. I may or may not end up using it for a DHS evening trip later this week - it just depends how things go. I think the value is going to be very dependent on your touring style and whether or not you can find a way to make Genie+ work for that style.

• Splash Mountain went down just as I arrived at the very beginning of my LL window. About ten minutes later my LL reservation was automatically converted into a pass that was good for the rest of the day at any LL attraction except the ILL$ and Peter Pan.

I had asked about this earlier but hadn't gotten a response. Curious to see what the exclusions are in each park for these passes you get if a ride goes down. Interesting that they excluded PP as I don't think that was ever excluded before on those passes in MK during the FP+ days (7DMT and character meets were the only exclusions). I'm also curious as to whether guest services LL have the same exclusions (we have three FP+ set up for us from our last trip due to a major issue we had but didn't get back before the closure - curious to see what they do for those when we do go back).

I had asked about this earlier but hadn't gotten a response. Curious to see what the exclusions are in each park for these passes you get if a ride goes down. Interesting that they excluded PP as I don't think that was ever excluded before on those passes in MK during the FP+ days (7DMT and character meets were the only exclusions). I'm also curious as to whether guest services LL have the same exclusions (we have three FP+ set up for us from our last trip due to a major issue we had but didn't get back before the closure - curious to see what they do for those when we do go back).

Now that you mention it the character meets were also showing as unavailable with the recovery pass - I didn't pay much attention since they aren't open now anyway, but the probably are going to be excluded going forward.

We’re arriving in 3 weeks and part of my group is staying offsite. Am I (staying on property) able to make IAS reservation for ROTR at 7 am for my entire party? Or just those of us staying on property? Reading reports of IAS reservations being gone by park opening now and trying to figure out how to get us all on!

We’re arriving in 3 weeks and part of my group is staying offsite. Am I (staying on property) able to make IAS reservation for ROTR at 7 am for my entire party? Or just those of us staying on property? Reading reports of IAS reservations being gone by park opening now and trying to figure out how to get us all on!

Saw this on the here now thread from yesterday:

Today's reservation was Hollywood studios, with a dinner ADR at EPCOT. At 7am, I went on MDE to get our ILL for ROTR, but found I couldn't select our son because he's not on our room reservation so not eligible for the early ILL res.

• You can indeed book LL in your hopper park beginning at 7AM. Tipboard will still show next available time, but when you click the LL button to reserve - it will show 2-3PM (assuming availability hasn't already moved beyond that point).
  • The 120 minute window from park opening is from the park where you made your first LL reservation. Not the park you have your park reservation at.
  • You can stack - I made three LL reservations at MK (at 7AM, 11AM, and 1PM) before entering the park.
  • Time can overlap - I had overlapping times a bunch. The system doesn't seem to care - so make sure you are paying attention to ADR time and other reservation times so you don't put yourself in a bad place.
  • You can cancel a LL reservation both before the window opens and during the return time window. As long as you cancel, it will let you book again. (I've heard rumors that there is a limit to this - like if you reserve Dumbo twice and cancel twice, you can't reserve a third time, but I did not test that).
  • Once this happened, I was able to make another LL reservation for Splash later in the night - so the converted LL reservation did not count as my allotment for Splash.

Oh and the way they handle the LL vs. standby appears to change based on crowds/conditions. I rode Splash twice post-fireworks: once using my any attraction pass and once using the new LL reservation I made. The first time through the line they were merging the line at the second tapstile and appeared to be taking relatively equal numbers of LL and standby passengers in turn. The second time through they kept the lines totally separate and filled 2 of the 3 boats with standby passengers and the final boat with LL passengers each load. The LL definitely felt significantly longer to get through the second time even the though the line seemed about the same length, but that is anecdotal, I didn't time it or anything. I just thought it was interesting.

That's about all I've got. I feel like I got my money's worth for the LL today, but not sure how much use it will have for me in the future. I may or may not end up using it for a DHS evening trip later this week - it just depends how things go. I think the value is going to be very dependent on your touring style and whether or not you can find a way to make Genie+ work for that style.
We had our first experience yesterday with Genie+. At 7 am exactly the first available ROR wasn’t till 12:45. This threw me off and the first LL for a ride we wanted was 12:15 for smugglers run. It all worked out, as we rope dropped SDD, then waited in line for TSM. Just disappointing that you can’t have more options and the ability to move LL times.

Overall LL wait times were fast, less than 10 minutes. But with the lack of selections makes it very expensive, if you buy 2 premier LL's.

One more thing I remembered that I wanted to mention re: G+ LL reservations. The refreshing thing worked to get times to move around. But also - DOUBLE CHECK the reservation time on the confirmation screen. It was often different than the time displayed on the TipBoard. Usually this was just 5-10 minutes - TipBoard shows 4:00-5:00 for it's a small world, but when you click through the the confirmation page the actual time is 4:10-5:10. It does not highlight this so it would be easy to miss it and sometimes it can be much different. When I went to make Big Thunder for after my dinner the earliest time I could find (even after refreshing) was 6:45-7:45. When I clicked through to confirmation it was a 6:05-7:05. Pretty big difference - it worked better for my schedule, but easily could have been the opposite.

At 7 am exactly the first available ROR wasn’t till 12:45. This threw me off and the first LL for a ride we wanted was 12:15 for smugglers run.
Yikes! This makes Genie+ much less valuable. I could see only getting 3 LL for decent rides on a crowded day—and having no choice but to stretch them out across many hours.

Can anyone confirm if you should be able to see the current LL info on the tip board if you don’t have a ticket? I get an error on the tip board and if I check an individual ride and click the LL section I get an error too. Are only ticket holders able to see the live return time options?

Yikes! This makes Genie+ much less valuable. I could see only getting 3 LL for decent rides on a crowded day—and having no choice but to stretch them out across many hours.

Right, I'm really re-thinking HS as a park that requires G+. I think you can do as well there with early entry and a solid plan. It might improve your odds for re-rides (one G+, one standby), if that's something you really want to do. Or if you're park hopping.

It is seeming like this "loophole" that existed for FP+ does not work anymore.

Can anyone confirm if you should be able to see the current LL info on the tip board if you don’t have a ticket? I get an error on the tip board and if I check an individual ride and click the LL section I get an error too. Are only ticket holders able to see the live return time options?
I'm in Canada and the Tip Board always gives me an error. The only way I can get it to work is using a VPN on my phone to fake a US location... Then the Tip Board works flawlessly even if I don't have a ticket.

It sounds like G+ can be more advantageous for people park hopping, if it allows people to make afternoon LL reservations in the morning... even if the LL time isn't past 2 yet for others.... We usually don't do hoppers since our kids are still younger and we can find enough to do at 1 park without extra transportation time.... I'm glad our trip isn't until May so we can get all of the scoop from the rest of you! I'm still thinking MK is the park Genie+ would be most helpful, otherwise rope dropping with the extra onsite half hour and maybe 1-2 ILL$ to really get what we want... I'd probably be willing to pay for ROTR, but not much else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter