Disney Genie announcement

So, you can make "one at a time". Does that mean if my next lightning pass is 3 hours from now, I can't book another one until I ride that? The "next generation of Max Pass" sounds very restrictive.

With maxpass you didn’t always have to wait until you rode. If your return time was far away it told you what time you could make the next choice and you could start to stack them.

Honestly, I'm suddenly glad I cut my WDW trip in half to spend 4 days at Universal. Yeah, I know they have a pay FP system as well. But it's so pricey that hardly anyone uses it. Disney will make it just moderately priced enough that too many people will use it to make it useful, but just enough people will use it to make stand-by lines unbearable. Bad form, Disney. Bad form.

Its funny to read all the responses. From "it is too moderately priced" to "I am already paying enough, don't nickel and dime me". You can't please all the people all the time.

With maxpass you didn’t always have to wait until you rode. If your return time was far away it told you what time you could make the next choice and you could start to stack them.

But that's not how it's working this time.

"You can hold one reservation at a time, and as long as you keep using your passes (or having your time slots expire), you can add new ones throughout the day, pending availability. "

Looks to be you have to use the current pass before being able to pick another.

We all knew it was coming. They will find ways to squeeze the dollars from you. A family of 6, they come maybe once every 3-4 years - they will def pay $10 per person or whatever the price is to get on Flight of Passage and get on with their day. It's just another cost people will have to factor in.

I don't mind this at all. If they really wanna rake in the bucks, they'll offer whatever the top pass is with a $10 Lightening access each day. Passholders hate waiting in most lines, so I could see myself doing this, maybe not every single day I go, but enough for Disney to make an extra $50+ from each passholder if they go a few times a month.

I'm used to this as an old Max Pass guest, so this is where it's all going to trend - Paid express to the front of the line. Each guest is different and everyone's budget is different. It's not a factor for me at WDW, but it could be to visiting families. Dinner for two at Le Cellier is at least $120 without tip, so days like this, adding on the $15 or whatever per attraction for a few times each month, doesn't bother me.

Be lucky they didn't go Universal's route and just say Lightening is like $99+. Maybe in 5-10 years we'll see this as demand grows and prices/inflation rise. The days of free Fastpass are over. Confirmed!

If I'm reading this correctly, there will be "surge" pricing for bigger attractions during more crowded days (thus, my stock market analogy)

While I made the analogy as a joke, now I'm thinking about it and.... Disney is basically penalizing guests for visiting during more crowded/expensive times. You mean to tell me if I go during Christmas and pay a premium to stay on-site and visit the parks... now I gotta pay MORE to get a lightning pass to 7DMT? That...doesn't sound like it makes sense. I mean... it does- supply and demand, but still. It's gonna turn a lot of guests off. I may be canceling my on-site stay and spending less time at Florida.

But again... let's see how it plays out.

I bet the purchase rate is extremely high. You'll be a a severe disadvantage if you don't get it.

WDW tickets just went up $15 per day

I meant as in only able to get 2-3 passes in a full day due to reservations being filled / needing to wait for your current pass to be used to check next availability. You'll not be able to get anything out of the pass to make it worth $15.

I guess if there is one "plus" to it it's that it seems like you can't make reservations until 7am the day of your ticket. Sounds like it will be another mad rush to everyone's phones in the morning, but I personally think it's better than planning your day 60 days in advance. I know we all know there is nothing more frustrating than seeing a fastpass you want gone weeks in advance, especially if you are staying off site or planning a last minute trip. Plus tons of people aren't on these forums, they literally show up the day of their ticket and figure things out from there. And now you can be a little more spontaneous. So... maybe a little silver lining?

It says for $15 per ticket at DW and $20 a day at DL guests can use the new lightening lane at select attractions….if it’s $15 for all day fine it doesn’t seems like it’s per attraction like in Disneyland Paris
There's that too, an individual price for certain attractions, those will not be included in Disney Genie.

The $15 per person will only let you book tier 2 attractions. Tier 1 attractions will be priced separately based on surge pricing.
I’m not sure that’s true. Smugglers Run is definitely a tier 1 ride. From the Parks Blog:
“For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day – from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (attractions subject to limited availability).”

I really liked Max Pass at DLR, so I think I'll like this too. My only concern is how many E-ticket rides they will set aside per park for the surge pricing. If it's just one or two, then I'll join the stand-by stampede at rope drop. If it's more than that, I'm not sure what I'll do. Be grumpy I guess because I'll be forced to stand in line.

What's interesting is this appears to be similar to Universal's Express Pass system, but far cheaper. Universal's Express Pass is almost like buying a second park ticket. The advantage of that though it generally the Express lines are fairly short since not many people want to pay for it or their deluxe hotels that offer the service. I can see these new Lightening/Genie lines getting really long
I don't see any resemblance to Universal's Express Pass system

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter