• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

What's the perks? I've only experienced the free express on the higher tiered passes. One big gripe about Universal Express is you can't even get on Velocicoaster or Hagrid's. The two most popular rides. I'm sure in due time, they will finally add those, but still, if you're visiting and paying $99 - $230+ per person to get on all the rides and can't even get on the most popular ones, what other perks offset that?

Free if you stay onsite at certain hotels.
Set price, and you know from the get go what rides you can do.
With Genie, it's very possible that you won't be able to do certain rides on certain days because either you can't get a Lightning Lane for it, or there are no more paid individual passes available.

Genie could be better, it could be worse, until people can use it and come to terms with it, it's only speculation.

Stupidest money grab from Disney since having to pay for parking at a resort. There is basically no additional overhead required for either so this is just pure profit for Chapeks bottom line. Great for investors and members of the board but not so great for the consumer. Even though vacation money is disposable income, people will eventually get tired of have to pay for more and more. It may not happen right away but people will eventually look for other options for their vacation dollars that include more perks.

This is a great opportunity for Universal to come out and further hype their amenities and blow it up Chapeks you know what!!!

Interesting for us.
I loved old paper fast pass and the concept of MaxPass (haven’t been to DL since 2013). Got to ride a lot of rides! I was a park commando back in those days.

Hubby: He loved FP+. Nice to plan the day around. Really enjoyed when you just wanted to do 3 rides and go back to the pool, think Pandora, Everest and Kilimanjaro safaris then the rest of the day at the pool.

I am less park commando now so I was starting to really enjoy FP+ too. I don’t think I’ll like this system as much. $30 a day isn’t a lot but what value can it provide *if most people are buying it*?! It’s essentially FP with a cost then. 😒

Edited to add, this probably makes our decision on more DVC (GFV2)…nope.

Last edited:
I meant as in only able to get 2-3 passes in a full day due to reservations being filled / needing to wait for your current pass to be used to check next availability. You'll not be able to get anything out of the pass to make it worth $15.

That's what people used to say about FP, but if you were smart about it, you could get a lot per day. I know we certainly did all the times we used Max Pass at DL...totally worth the $10-$20/day that we paid there every time.

In typical Disney fashion, they made this way more complicated than it needed to be. Except for the price, Universal got it right. Express Pass for a particular amount. Includes all but two newest rides (currently Velosicoaster and Hagrid Motorbike) for a fixed price, that can vary by day. If you are in one of the three premium hotels, its included in your hotel rate. As I noted their pricing is insane (Some days over $200 per person for an express pass) but the approach is simple and straightforward. You don't need to be good at algebra to figure it out.

Also it's not clear if the "extra two lighting passes" for E ticket rides requires the purchase of the basic plan first. Or can you just but the two pass plan on its own ?

Way to much to think about.

The rumor is the top 2 rides, in each park, will be the ala carte rides and not available with the $15 Genie+

That's fine for MK, but if you take the top 2 at the other 3 parks...there isn't much left...
I would think that SDD and Smuggleres run would be top two in HS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter