Disney Genie announcement

It's hopefully clear to anyone with a brain that getting up at 7am isn't exactly the preferred vacationing method. But ROTR boarding passes and the ever-rising ropedrop crowds is empirical proof for Disney that it doesn't matter.

Disney knows for a fact if there's a way to gain some sort of advantage, there are plenty of people who will wake up at the crack of dawn. For the privilege of forking over their hard earned money.
One of the advantages of visiting from the UK is that one wakes up very early because of the time difference!!!

Oh I knew it was coming but I don’t have to like it. Lol.

I have a trip booked for next year. I am going to keep an open mind and read trip reports here and see how it goes before making a final decision on that trip. I’m really not crazy about the one FP at a time but I’m willing to see how it plays out.

The one at a time and not being able to prebook are my sticking points. If I think of it like refreshing it’s not so bad but I really have to see how it ends up working in practice. On paper it’s a severe downgrade for anyone who really knew how to work the previous system. But I’m definitely at the wait and see…I don’t like the idea of being the guinea pigs for it though, over the 50th.

They couldn’t have made this more complicated or confusing if they tried. I hope this starts soon so I have time to figure it all out and see it in practice before deciding if it’s worth it (especially as an offsite guest this time).
I think the complexity is by design to get you to throw money at it. The sunk cost notion (we already dropped $5k to be here this week - what’s another few hundred here or there to ride this ride we came to do?)

That said, I have no confidence in its effectiveness and reliability, and hope it destroys guest satisfaction, good will, and bookings, and that every greedy exec who has their fingerprints on this catastrophe will be run out of town.

You can bet the bosses at Universal are rubbing their hands gleefully right now. And when Epic Universe opens Disney will really feel the punch in their gut if Genie+ is a disaster.
It’s telling that Disney scuttled anything in the pipeline that wasn’t already at a critical mass (Guardians, TRON). They haven’t announced, let along broken ground on anything since. It takes them, what, 4-6 years to build an E-ticket? Epic Universe arrives in roughly 2023/24/25? It seems WDW has nothing in development to compete.

It seems like the beta version of Genie+ operating in all of our heads has an optimization plan that just sends us to Universal instead

Speak for yourself, please. Even if this made me mad enough to stop going to Disney parks, as long as every cut of a Universal ticket sold ends up in the pockets of a virulent bigot who uses her vast wealth and celebrity platform to actively lobby for the dehumanization of a marginalized community I happen to be a member of, I will never darken those gates. I would just choose other vacation destinations besides theme parks, like we already do from time to time.

It’s telling that Disney scuttled anything in the pipeline that wasn’t already at a critical mass (Guardians, TRON). They haven’t announced, let along broken ground on anything since. It takes them, what, 4-6 years to build an E-ticket? Epic Universe arrives in roughly 2023/24/25? It seems WDW has nothing in development to compete.
I agree, we were at Universal Dec 2019 and there was only mud where Velocicoaster is now standing proud and thrilling guests. Universal really do just get on with it.

Meanwhile Cosmic Rewind and Tron have become a bore to everyone, the excitement has just fluttered away, and by the time they do open people will be hugely excited by what Universal has planned. Disney are on a losing streak here I fear.

So it's possible - and very likely probable that RotR would sell out of LL just from on site guests at 0701 every morning.

They'll be a lot of angry people and Disney are making a rod for their own backs with this one.

That’a no different than the boarding groups. They sell out in seconds.

Not for nothing but there is absolutely a market for paid ROTR. I’ve seen numerous people on the SW:GE board here complaining about the BG process saying they wish they could just pay to get on it. And I’ve heard (admittedly unsubstantiated) talk elsewhere of folks paying people to get BGs for them. There’s a lot of people struggling under the current system who have been begging to throw money at it to make it go away.

I don’t think paid slots will impact it all that much though tbh. The way it is now those go so fast I don’t think it’ll make much difference. If anything it might make 7am slightly easier because now people will have to choose between booking their G+ selections and landing a BG the old fashioned way and many people will assuredly choose poorly. Maybe they end up calling far fewer of the 1pm backup groups though.
And the demand for VIP Tours shot through the roof when it was announced Rise would be included.

News like this make me grateful for those golden years we had as a family pre Covid. Remember free resort parking, MDE, free fast passes, if lucky FD. Now pay pay pay AND while keeping every second of My well earned vacation time more glued to my frickin phone ( genie ). WDW was already a part time job planning pre trip - now it’s a full time job on your phone while in the park. I just wanted to walk in and enjoy a park with out planning everything, every second.
Same! I'm glad we experienced the real Disney magic when our kids were little. The original Fastpass system, ordering at the counter for CS (I hate mobile ordering), fun free things like Sorcerer's of MK, Year of a Million Dreams ( my favorite), The Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, I miss the old Disney.

I don't like this idea at all - but trying to honestly think through the logistics.

Lets say you buy genie+ and you buy the 2 special pay per ride lightning lane things and you're at HS.

When 7:00:00 hits - what do you book first, what do you wait until 7:01 to book and what a mess will it be trying to book multiple different rides at the exact same time?

And also Disney said they are limiting the number of Pay per ride tickets sold. So who gets first dibs on buying them? When will people be able to pay for the ROTR lightning lane? Or does that happen at 7:00 and you can either try to be lucky to pay extra for a pass or you can try to get into the virtual que but you can't do both because it happens at the same time?

Sounds like a miserable morning on whats supposed to be a fun vacation.

Question: I haven’t been on RoTR So no spoilers please. But here in the thread there’s been much speculation how much the lightning Lane for this would be. So for those That have been on it is it worth $10 more, 20, 30 and on? How much would you be willing to spend to ride it

Question: I haven’t been on RoTR So no spoilers please. But here in the thread there’s been much speculation how much the lightning Lane for this would be. So for those I have been on it is it worth $10 more, 20, 30 and on? How much would you be willing to spend to ride it
$50 max for me just to get on early and enjoy the rest of the day. But it is an incredible experience and well worth doing. It's the only experience I would pay for though, simply because it's so amazing.

I don't like this idea at all - but trying to honestly think through the logistics.

Lets say you buy genie+ and you buy the 2 special pay per ride lightning lane things and you're at HS.

When 7:00:00 hits - what do you book first, what do you wait until 7:01 to book and what a mess will it be trying to book multiple different rides at the exact same time?

And also Disney said they are limiting the number of Pay per ride tickets sold. So who gets first dibs on buying them? When will people be able to pay for the ROTR lightning lane? Or does that happen at 7:00 and you can either try to be lucky to pay extra for a pass or you can try to get into the virtual que but you can't do both because it happens at the same time?

A miserable morning for mom while everyone else is still sleeping. At least this is how it works in this family. I’m the one that spends months out planning and then I get the bad end of the stick While on vacation not being able to relax but instead being our family’s concierge service.

This is my biggest concern too. Having everything open at exactly the same time is cause for a real mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter