Disney Genie announcement

If FOP is a pay per ride one, do you think it will be easier to get on the ride (i.e. whereas fastpass seems pretty hard to get)
I would think fewer people would be willing to pay than use a free service, so it would be easier to “buy” a time slot through the individual attraction selection process. I’m sure it depends on how many time slots are available and how many people are willing to pay. It sounds like Disney believes you will need to pick these at 7 am and haven’t said how different time slots will be allotted. If anything like fast pass, it was harder to get an earlier FOP time than a later one.

Those are both going to be a la carte rides. I'm talking about the rides included with Genie+.

It's just a math problem at this point. Not everyone will use Genie+ and those that do, start with 1/3 less FP than in the past.
I just found a rumored list. I have to admit it was a lot more fun getting to do 7DMT through diligent planning than it will be paying an additional $80+ or whatever every time my family rides.

Last edited:

If a family of four all has Genie+, and they all get a time for a certain attraction, but only two want to do the attraction, will the other two be able to do it twice like before?

The other reason for increased attendance at park open is that doing so can save a family of four ~$80-100 to get into the regular line on an attraction at rope drop to avoid the LP fee.

Last edited:
I am wondering if most of the folks here who are upset about "being forced" to get up at 7am every day or they will not get any value out of Genie + have ever used MP at DLR? If you have used it, you understand that even arriving mid day, you were able to get plenty of FPs for rides, and you were not shut out. You did have to be diligent and refresh sometimes to get a return time that was not 3-4 hours away, but who on these boards would complain about knowing the secret to refreshing and having that benefit (save those people who have been posting that the booked their 3 FP+ rides 60 days in advance and then never looked at their phones while in the parks; I find that hard to believe because we on these boards knew how to work that system, but...)? If it works anything like MP, you will be able to get passes even later in the day. Passes will not run out at 7:01am!

My biggest concern is availability. Let’s say I pay for Genie+ and the attraction we want to experience most at MK is Thunder Mountain. I log in at 7:00 am but the first time available isn’t until 2:00. If I grab that slot, I can’t make another reservation until after 2:00, wasting all morning in longer lines and probably losing out on other attractions we’d like to experience because nothing will be available by late afternoon. The other option is to book a different attraction and hope I can get Thunder Mountain later, which will probably become increasingly difficult as the day goes on and fewer time slots are available. Am I missing something?
WDW may have a stipulation like they did with Maxpass at DLR...you can book your next LL pass after you use your first one OR after a certain amount of time (i.e. 90 minutes). I'm also curious about this.

have ever used MP at DLR

1000% different groups and different parks.

DL is mostly locals while WDW is mostly tourists. You will have more uptake on a paid system at WDW because you have more once in x timers. Be it once a year, decade, lifetime.

With mostly locals in a park there is less pressure to ride everything, get there early, ect.

I am wondering if most of the folks here who are upset about "being forced" to get up at 7am every day or they will not get any value out of Genie + have ever used MP at DLR? If you have used it, you understand that even arriving mid day, you were able to get plenty of FPs for rides, and you were not shut out. You did have to be diligent and refresh sometimes to get a return time that was not 3-4 hours away, but who on these boards would complain about knowing the secret to refreshing and having that benefit (save those people who have been posting that the booked their 3 FP+ rides 60 days in advance and then never looked at their phones while in the parks; I find that hard to believe because we on these boards knew how to work that system, but...)? If it works anything like MP, you will be able to get passes even later in the day. Passes will not run out at 7:01am!
Did mp start at 7 am? I never used it? If not , its not the same. Stuff will book up earlier and will effect things. Otherwise make it at park opening or an hour beforehand. I have stuff to do in the am. I may not be the ideal guest for this. We camp, im making breakfast, cleaning and such, icing up the cooler, etc. Plus getting ready for the parks. Adding a activity in this time frame just dosen't fit in with what i have to do. Plus inhave to find a place to be able to do it. If i dont have good phone service i have to scope that put beforehand. The wi fi is awful in most places.

My only satisfaction is knowing that all the people I've heard howling for years about how much better things were before Fastpass (spoiler alert, they weren't) will get it in the neck. They either get to cough green or stand in the three hour lines with us common rabble.

lol yep

I wish people wouldn't say this every time Disney does something they don't like. (And you're allowed to not like this.)

Universal's Express Pass is a much more expensive version of what people are mostly complaining about here.

It's not like Universal's immune from this kind of behavior. For example, if you buy a Universal AP, you still have to pay for parking on the first visit (unless you go after 6pm).

(And I'll gently nudge that the two most recent ride additions at USP are two of the worst theme park rides of the last thirty years.)
Velocicoaster is one of the best coasters.

All this talk about Genie + and rides which I get but we used to us FP on shows and character meet and greet. Has anyone heard how they are going to work?

I must say I am not sold on this, but I am trying to take a wait and see attitude. We were hoping on going in spring 2022 but that too is a wait and see... partly on covid(from Canada here) and partly on Genie. I really liked the FP+ so that we knew we were guarantied 3 rides a day. I was a big planner and felt so happy when I got the rides and times we wanted. We prefer the parks at night so like to sleep in but since you have to book your one ride you have to get up at 7am...not my type of vacation. Is the booking a park before planning anything here to say? (not happy about that either)

Everyone remember the uproar when they brought in FP+? but you didn't have to pay extra for it. so I am trying to stay calm. lol

I have a trip coming up in November and we will see how it goes, but I’m getting really frustrated, maybe be my last visit! It’s just money and more money on top of more money! If they would lower the price of the admission ticket overall to allow for more pricing for the genie and genie +, but they won’t! If you are taking a family, it adds up quick! So the regular ticket now days is just for getting in the gate and wondering around, maybe shows, because the list I saw for what is included in the lightening lane, didn’t leave much! At some point they will price everyone out and then what are they gonna do. I know they have to make money please to run the place but gee whiz!

I'm planning to go solo (delta has given me cause for concern) in Sept. If it's up and running by then - I'll get a feel for how easy/confusing/expensive/frustrating it is and may end up using the payment I've made to the DVC rental for something else and then being done with it all.

I feel like there was a better option. I could probably be on board with a paid option IF there was some kind of free option. They could have let the 1 FP at a time be the free option and then charged the $15 per day to let you make 3 at a time.

I can't see EVER being on board with the "pay per ride" option that will be for rides like RotR because there is no standby. The entire line que will fill up with people paying to ride it and there will be no "standby" slots left because its all virtual. Disney isn't going to say "har har ok, we'll just have 100 FP slots available for RotR each day and the rest are free virtual que like normal". No. They can sell every single one of those ride slots as a pay-to-ride and you can bet they are going to. THAT really irks me.

I really don’t see the tier 2 rides selling out quickly except for ROTR and remy. And maybe FOP. As for the rest of the rides, why would you buy it before getting to the park? I would be annoyed if I paid for a pass to do safari and when I arrive it has a doable wait time. I think most tier 2 rides won’t sell out that fast.

All this talk about Genie + and rides which I get but we used to us FP on shows and character meet and greet. Has anyone heard how they are going to work?

I must say I am not sold on this, but I am trying to take a wait and see attitude. We were hoping on going in spring 2022 but that too is a wait and see... partly on covid(from Canada here) and partly on Genie. I really liked the FP+ so that we knew we were guarantied 3 rides a day. I was a big planner and felt so happy when I got the rides and times we wanted. We prefer the parks at night so like to sleep in but since you have to book your one ride you have to get up at 7am...not my type of vacation. Is the booking a park before planning anything here to say? (not happy about that either)

Everyone remember the uproar when they brought in FP+? but you didn't have to pay extra for it. so I am trying to stay calm. lol

I would assume shows aren’t included since they aren’t on the list they released. I think we will have to wait and see about character meets.

I've been skimming all of this info, and people were talking about receiving Genie emails from Disney. We got an email with a countdown starting at 75 days (trip starts Nov 2) and there is no mention of Genie at all 🤷‍♀️

My biggest concern is availability. Let’s say I pay for Genie+ and the attraction we want to experience most at MK is Thunder Mountain. I log in at 7:00 am but the first time available isn’t until 2:00. If I grab that slot, I can’t make another reservation until after 2:00, wasting all morning in longer lines and probably losing out on other attractions we’d like to experience because nothing will be available by late afternoon. The other option is to book a different attraction and hope I can get Thunder Mountain later, which will probably become increasingly difficult as the day goes on and fewer time slots are available. Am I missing something?
Theoretically the first available BTM slot should not 2 pm because there is no advanced booking anymore. All the rides refresh each morning. You’re not picking from the leftover slots from other guests like you were when doing FP+ booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter