Disney Genie announcement

I can see where they are truly trying to ease abuse and ease backlogged lines But I say if they want to limit access they could create a waiting period at least-say two hours-and a limit of three times per day. I’d even pay a bit more for it. Alas that would only satisfy me.
What abuse? My guess is they're trying to hold back capacity to monetize additionally somehow.

This post is related to the free Genie planning service coming soon- there are lots of threads already about the paid components!

Just saw a video demo and I’m scratching my head trying to figure out if it will be helpful to us. The list of restaurants with walk up availability etc may be convenient, but just not sure about the other pieces. I feel like with being an experienced Disney traveler, I can simply glance at wait times and know where I want to go next- I feel like Genie encourages more face-to-phone time- and I want to be on my phone less, not more….

so for experienced travelers, what advantages does free Genie offer?

would love everyone’s insight because our trip may be near its launch, and just want to have a sense of any good possible strategies.

thanks!!:flower1:

Exactly. It's just about getting people to move around the park more which means more opportunities to sell you food, drinks, and merch.

On the flip side it’s counterintuitive. I’m now stuck in standby line instead of using LL. Instead of being finished in say 15 minutes, I’m in a 45 minute standby line not spending my money on food or merchandise.

I wonder if they are choosing to do this since they will somehow have to explain how this all works to guests who show up and know nothing about it. It is already a complicated 3 part system but then to have "surprise" people at check in with now you can spend extra $$ per day you knew nothing about.

Disney wants the standby lines to be shorter so people don't complain about the extra $ so they limit the LL each day but then they also want the lines to be long so people by G+.

Disney wants it both ways which somehow makes everyone lose.

This certainly makes it harder to envision a spring break 2022 trip. Too much uncertainty to pull the trigger on spending that much money and not knowing how things will work. I was assuming we'd have much more information by now and never thought you'd be limited to one Genie+ per ride per day.

I’m also trying to think how frustrating it will be if you don’t strategize and by afternoon high demand attraction sold out and only ones left to book you can’t because you rode in morning. I feel like this is another cash grab to ensure people pay for genie plus and park hopping because otherwise you run out of things to do.

I guess the one positive is I didn’t plan to buy so this should be good for me as less buy it and those who do can’t use it very much.

The one Genie+ access per ride should make standby lines move faster than they did with Fastpass+ as well as make availability less of an issue. This is definitely geared toward people who do not do months of planning prior to their trips which should make their vacations less intimidating. Even during Fastpass+ days having a touring plan was always more important for those who like to set up their days beforehand.

Thanks for the park hopping tip (I didn’t think of that; although for this upcoming trip my ADRs are already set). I think that would be a better value for a long stay (we always take a midday break and have to go back to a park using transportation).

Our post COVID trips lines were so long we rarely did any repeats except single rider lines. Some days half of our party did 2-3 rides and was done for the day, so we were looking forward to this $1,540 extra cost to better our trip (4 riders 7 days; $20*2 LL per person, $15 genie+). I do miss the option of after hours.

I have never written to Guest Services ... until now.

WDW and DL both received emails this morning. I know it won't do squat, but at least I voiced my displeasure. This is so disappointing to me. I just cannot see how this is a win/win for Disney and its guests.

Everyone reaches their tipping point, this is mine. :sad1:

On the flip side it’s counterintuitive. I’m now stuck in standby line instead of using LL. Instead of being finished in say 15 minutes, I’m in a 45 minute standby line not spending my money on food or merchandise.
Exactly that.

The whole thing was my tipping point LOL! I'm an uber planner so this is wrecking my brain and not in a good way......that being said.....I'm a planner so....
I've got four buckets under each day of my trip that I plan to go to the park GENIE PLUS INDIVIDUAL LL ROPE DROP (ON ONLY CERTAIN DAYS) STAND BY

My expectations are very low: 1-2 rope drop rides identified. 1-2 genie plus rides - identified and hopeful. 2 individual LL on each day planned praying the times I get don't interfere with dining plans or anything else. and finally stand by - trying to avoid like the plague. I'm going for 10 days over Christmas break - been there five times already at this time - so my expectations are VERY low to begin with. I'm hoping that I can get six rides in each day if we also rope drop that day.

On my two EPCOT days....I've added a fifth bucket - Remy boarding group.

My DH and DS are going four days before me....they don't do anything with MDE - that's my real fear!!!!!!!

This post is related to the free Genie planning service coming soon- there are lots of threads already about the paid components!

Just saw a video demo and I’m scratching my head trying to figure out if it will be helpful to us. The list of restaurants with walk up availability etc may be convenient, but just not sure about the other pieces. I feel like with being an experienced Disney traveler, I can simply glance at wait times and know where I want to go next- I feel like Genie encourages more face-to-phone time- and I want to be on my phone less, not more….

My opinion? Nothing at all. It offers Disney the ability to entice crowds to other areas of the park, which is understandable and may help some less-frequent travelers who want to optimize their ride-to-line time ratio. I completely agree with you about it encouraging spending more time staring at the phone when that's the last thing I want to be doing at Disney. I also worry it encourages more criss-crossing the park and thus sore feet for ambulatory folks. But that's all speculation as we haven't seen the app and how it works in practice yet.

With regards to the Genie+ once per ride per day, a few things to consider . . . .
1. Whilst this is been reported on a few fan sites, was it the same cast member that they all spoke to or did this come from multiple cast members at the preview?
2. Did the cast member(s) understand the question?
3. Did those that reported on this correctly interpret the answer?
4. Was the right question asked or was it asked clearly?
5. Was this info first hand, ie, did they ALL actually hear it from the cast member or someone else who spoke to a cast member and passed on the “info”.
6. Did everyone just get their wires crossed and confuse Genie+ and IA$, exactly as a very well known Disneyland vlogger did on his podcast today

Maybe, maybe not. Let’s hope it was a mistake, a misunderstanding or can be, as suggested, changed.

Last edited:

would love everyone’s insight because our trip may be near its launch, and just want to have a sense of any good possible strategies.

thanks!!:flower1:
Honestly I doubt I'll use it. I feel like Disney will try to suggest I do things that meet THEIR goals as opposed to MY goals.

With regards to the Genie+ once per ride per day, a few things to consider . . . .
1. Whilst this is been reported on a few fan sites, was it the same cast member that they all spoke to or did this come from multiple cast members at the preview?
2. Did the cast member(s) understand the question?
3. Did those that reported on this correctly interpret the answer?
4. Was the right question asked or was it asked clearly?
5. Was this info first hand, ie, did they ALL actually hear it from the cast member or someone else who spoke to a cast member and passed on the “info”.
6. Did everyone just get their wires crossed and confuse Genie+ and IA$, exactly as a very well known Disneyland vlogger did on his podcast today

Maybe, maybe not. Let’s hope it was a mistake, a misunderstanding or can be, as suggested, changed.

All THIS. Disney has yet to make an official announcement.

I have never written to Guest Services ... until now.

WDW and DL both received emails this morning. I know it won't do squat, but at least I voiced my displeasure. This is so disappointing to me. I just cannot see how this is a win/win for Disney and its guests.

Everyone reaches their tipping point, this is mine. :sad1:

This is mine as well and I'm also penning a handwritten letter. I've been AP holder for 16+ years and I am not renewing. While I LOVE WDW and feel very safe there as an often solo female traveler, I'm done. AP prices soaring (now over $1000 for renew), EMH ONLY for deluxe resort guests, charging from the airport transportation and NOW (tada!) TWO more ways for you to PAY MORE each and every day!! And damn if I want to be glued to my cell phone on vacation. So looks like Universal, here I come!

Bringing this back to the free Genie service. I see it as a crappy imitation of Touring Plans. We know that they can't give us accurate wait times. We know that it will try to point us where Disney wants us to go, not where we want to go, unless the two don't conflict. I'll be using TP and ignoring Genie unless I want to check in at a restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter