Disney Genie announcement

If I'm reading Scott Gustin's words correctly, then your comment is not true. You write current selection 120 min in the future, he writes 120 min from the booking time. Those aren't the same thing.

Ie. At 7am you book SDD, but you don't get the timeslot until 1pm. But at 9am you can book RNR for 10am, then after you ride that at 10am you can book TOT at 11am, then after your ride that you can book MSFR for 4pm, Then finally go ride that first ride you booked (SDD at 1pm).... and keep booking.

This is the way MaxPass worked at DL too. This is all very confusing, but I think this is what Scott Gustin meant (and makes sense because it worked that way at DL).
I think there's a big difference between DL and WDW. At WDW, parks have different opening times. Epcot doesn't even open until 11 AM most days. If I'm understanding what you're saying, I could book an Epcot attraction at 7 AM (which would be for no earlier than 11 AM) and then grab another Genie+ at 9 AM when Epcot still has not opened.

I think there's a big difference between DL and WDW. At WDW, parks have different opening times. Epcot doesn't even open until 11 AM most days. If I'm understanding what you're saying, I could book an Epcot attraction at 7 AM (which would be for no earlier than 11 AM) and then grab another Genie+ at 9 AM when Epcot still has not opened.
This has been the exact suspicion all along.

Maybe, I am wrong, but thought noticed that the bird show was a lane attraction, plus the safari. It is a must do, but my mother is elderly and has an auto-immune disease. For an extra $30 for one day, after spending on the flight and hotel room -- want to enjoy the trip, so will bite the bullet and purchase for the AK day. Very disappointed with this program.
I’ve never had a problem using SB to see the bird show & I watch it every trip, so unless it’s very crowded I don’t see much need to get G+ lightning lane access to see that show. Kilimanjaro Safari can have a long wait, though, so if you want to avoid that line you may be stuck depending on crowd level.

If I'm reading Scott Gustin's words correctly, then your comment is not true. You write current selection 120 min in the future, he writes 120 min from the booking time. Those aren't the same thing.

Ie. At 7am you book SDD, but you don't get the timeslot until 1pm. But at 9am you can book RNR for 10am, then after you ride that at 10am you can book TOT at 11am, then after your ride that you can book MSFR for 4pm, Then finally go ride that first ride you booked (SDD at 1pm).... and keep booking.

This is the way MaxPass worked at DL too. This is all very confusing, but I think this is what Scott Gustin meant (and makes sense because it worked that way at DL).
Yep. You got it! You can "stack" your G+ ride reservations like you used to "stack" MaxPass in DL. I think once people get the hang of this, they'll like this system. But...I understand... if you've never experienced something, it feels uncertain. We arrive 10-23 and I was hoping for a few more days lead time to 'work the bugs out'...but.... hopefully they're just bothersome flies and not something that stings!!

I was hoping this wouldn't start until after my trip Oct 25 - 31. I will be watching closely when it starts to see if we will need to use it

My son's favourite ride is Space... having to pay for that will be really annoying.

Same and same! Our dates are similar and my daughters love Space.

Theoretically, it all sounds exactly like MP except the 1x per day. But I'm good with that since we don't normally ride many rides more than once anyway and if we did it's because there was a MP available at that moment. Except for GOTG, that's a must do multiple times a day.

Anyone know if Mission Space is considered one ride or will you be able to get one LL for green and one LL for orange on the same day? 🤔

It looks like on the chart, it's just 1 ride. And you select orange or green within the attraction. What happens when you just paid $75 for your family of 5 to ride Rise of the Resistance and it goes down? It says no refunds.

Yep. You got it! You can "stack" your G+ ride reservations like you used to "stack" MaxPass in DL. I think once people get the hang of this, they'll like this system. But...I understand... if you've never experienced something, it feels uncertain. We arrive 10-23 and I was hoping for a few more days lead time to 'work the bugs out'...but.... hopefully they're just bothersome flies and not something that stings!!

I haven’t come across the answers to a few things yet, and maybe they haven’t been answered.

For people who regularly park hop, stacking of the LL passes has less value, unless someone with a hopper ticket can get them for after 2 PM at a second park. For example, if we are starting at MK but planning to hop to Epcot, I might want to get a LL pass to Soarin or TT for late afternoon or early evening. I wonder if that is allowed.

Similarly, I’d like to know if someone with a hopper ticket can purchase one of the IAS passes at a second park for later in the day. I could see buying a pass for Ratatouille for later in the day and hopping to Epcot to use it. Otherwise I’m not sure if I’ll be buying IAS passes for attractions we’ve done several times in the past. Maybe ROTR if they don’t return to the VQ.

The more I read about this, the more I think they are going after annual pass holders. Most annual pass holders are not going to purchase Genie+. However, I believe most regular vacation guests will eventually because it will be heavily promoted on the Walt Disney Travel Web site and through travel agents. It's sort of like park hopping. Many families don't even use it, especially now with the 2 p.m. limit, but they add it anyway because it's available and they don't want to miss out on anything. It conveniently drives up the average selling price per ticket for the Parks division.

Similarly, I’d like to know if someone with a hopper ticket can purchase one of the IAS passes at a second park for later in the day. I could see buying a pass for Ratatouille for later in the day and hopping to Epcot to use it. Otherwise I’m not sure if I’ll be buying IAS passes for attractions we’ve done several times in the past. Maybe ROTR if they don’t return to the VQ.

I did read somewhere that you could purchase IAS passes across multiple parks, but you are still limited to 2 per day. So you could do 1 for Space at MK and 1 for Ratatouille at Epcot with the assumption that you would be hopping later in the day.

Last edited:
I wonder what are they planning to do when internationals will start to come in. We generally go to DW for 21 days and as a family of 6 it would be an extra $1890 without adding the extra tier 1 rides. Plus I really dislike having to stay contantly on the phone while I'm the park, I want to enjoy my time with my kids, it will take away from the experience. At least before it was all planned in advance. Now, by the sounds of it, it will be a daily task.

I did read somewhere that you could purchase IAS passes across multiple parks, but you are still limited to 2 per day. So you could do 1 for Space at MK and 1 for Ratatouille at Epcot with the assumption that you would be hopping later in the day.

Thank you. I hope that’s right. I don’t see us buying IAS at MK because we have done all of our favorite rides there many times. So, we’ll likely take our chances with Early Entry, standby, and Genie +, and anything we don’t get to will be there for our next visit to that park.

I wonder what are they planning to do when internationals will start to come in. We generally go to DW for 21 days and as a family of 6 it would be an extra $1890 without adding the extra tier 1 rides. Plus I really dislike having to stay contantly on the phone while I'm the park, I want to enjoy my time with my kids, it will take away from the experience. At least before it was all planned in advance. Now, by the sounds of it, it will be a daily task.

They won't be doing anything. They're going to assume you won't buy it because you're going to be here for 21 days. They have been pretty clear that it's a flat fee, not a package. You can add it to your tickets, but you're still paying $15 per day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter