• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

You could get a fastpass for many shows. Now you'll be able to use Genie+ for those shows. I haven't checked the lists side-by-side, but imagine you'll be able to use either Genie+ or ILL$ for everything for which you could have used a fastpass (excepting, of course, attractions that haven't yet reopened).
If you rope drop FOP, you can get all the other rides in with minimal wait (some willeven be walk ons), then do all the shows and animal exhibits later. And in the evening, redo some of your favorites.

It looks like on the chart, it's just 1 ride. And you select orange or green within the attraction. What happens when you just paid $75 for your family of 5 to ride Rise of the Resistance and it goes down? It says no refunds.
The thing about this though is it’s two different entrances. Technically two different tapstiles. I really hope they don’t count this as one attraction. Though green rarely has a wait so it might not matter.
As for your question, nothing is confirmed but people are guessing you’ll get either a come back later or a different IA$ option.

My breakdown on Genie+ is this, assuming a busy park day like the summer:

Magic Kingdom? Worth it. 17 attractions, 5 to 6 of which generally have substantial wait times.
IAS—Mine Train? Yes; Space Mountain? No.
Alternative? Yes; You can ride both Mine Train and Space Mountain at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only)
Note: Space Mountain will likely go to Genie+ once Tron is online.

Animal Kingdom? Not worth it. 8 attractions, only 3 of which have substantial wait times.
IAS—Flight of Passage Yes; Expedition Everest? No.
Alternative? Yes; You can ride both Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only). Expedition Everest also has a fairly quick single-rider line.

Epcot? Not worth it. 9 attractions, only 2 of which have substantial wait times.
IAS—Ratatouille? Yes; Frozen Ever After? No.
Alternative? Mixed; You can ride Frozen Ever After at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only).
Note: Frozen Ever After will likely go to Genie+ once Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind is online.

Hollywood Studios? Worth it. 12 attractions, 4 of which have substantial wait times.
IAS—Rise of the Resistance? Yes; Mickey's Runaway Railway? No.
Alternative? Yes; You can ride both Rise of the Resistance and Mickey's Runaway Railway at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only)
Note: They're throwing us a bone with Slinky Dog Dash being available on Genie+. Who slipped that by Chapek?

Attachments

• FBM8m3LXMAUBsTR.jpeg
    FBM8m3LXMAUBsTR.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 57

My problem is Fast pass was a free service, but Genie + is a paid service. I feel like a theme park ticket should be enough for getting a seat at a show. Not a deal breaker for my small traveling party, but still is just seems un-Disney like.

this is exactly how I feel. It just puts a bad taste into my mouth because I’m already paying for tickets/passes. I don’t mind paying for Genie + but the individual LL seems like a kick in the gut.

that said, we’ll still likely go and pay it for our year of Disney but it definitely reaffirms that branching out for 2023 is a good idea. But we don’t go until May for the first one so I have lots of time to learn the best way to do things so thank you in advance to everyone who reports back 😁

The drawing experience is Genie+. I think they added it to make AK look like there were more offerings. 🙄

Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, Bird Show all had FastPass+

The difference now is Nemo is not back yet, nor the Mickey & Minnie Meet. Otherwise the Lightning Lane is the same as the FastPass+ offerings.

My problem is Fast pass was a free service, but Genie + is a paid service. I feel like a theme park ticket should be enough for getting a seat at a show. Not a deal breaker for my small traveling party, but still is just seems un-Disney like.

It is.

Seeing a show Standby when there was FastPass+ wasn't a problem. You might not get the show time of your choice or seated right up front but there was no problem seeing the shows. There will be even less problem coming up because not as many people will purchase Genie+ as used FastPass+.

You could get a fastpass for many shows. Now you'll be able to use Genie+ for those shows. I haven't checked the lists side-by-side, but imagine you'll be able to use either Genie+ or ILL$ for everything for which you could have used a fastpass (excepting, of course, attractions that haven't yet reopened).

Yup. This is legit FastPass+ under a new name, with no advance booking (which should be a positive the day of for getting Genie+ times and for Standby) but now fee based. I don't understand all the angst that now you can't do anything unless you pay for this. :confused3

Last edited:
The one Twitter guy posted here is the only place I'm seeing the 120 minute rule but if that is true i very similar to Maxpass.

for park hoping with maxpass it let you chose the park you wished to book in.. so they already have that built in. Of course the difference now is the 1pm time. I am curious how that will work too!

My breakdown on Genie+ is this, assuming a busy park day like the summer:

Magic Kingdom? Worth it. 17 attractions, 5 to 6 of which generally have substantial wait times.
IAS—Mine Train? Yes; Space Mountain? No.
Alternative? Yes; You can ride both Mine Train and Space Mountain at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only)
Note: Space Mountain will likely go to Genie+ once Tron is online.

Animal Kingdom? Not worth it. 8 attractions, only 3 of which have substantial wait times.
IAS—Flight of Passage Yes; Expedition Everest? No.
Alternative? Yes; You can ride both Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only). Expedition Everest also has a fairly quick single-rider line.

Epcot? Not worth it. 9 attractions, only 2 of which have substantial wait times.
IAS—Ratatouille? Yes; Frozen Ever After? No.
Alternative? Mixed; You can ride Frozen Ever After at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only).
Note: Frozen Ever After will likely go to Genie+ once Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind is online.

Hollywood Studios? Worth it. 12 attractions, 4 of which have substantial wait times.
IAS—Rise of the Resistance? Yes; Mickey's Runaway Railway? No.
Alternative? Yes; You can ride both Rise of the Resistance and Mickey's Runaway Railway at 1) rope drop, 2) early morning magic hours or 3) extra evening magic hours (Deluxe Guests only)
Note: They're throwing us a bone with Slinky Dog Dash being available on Genie+. Who slipped that by Chapek?

I like the breakdown and the chart is helpful. But until they announce deluxe evening hours at AK and HS, that's not yet an option.

Genie+ comes off as more reasonable and a better value. Personally, I would have rather Disney raised park tickets $10 than deal with another ticket add-on. But here we are.

I also don't fault Disney for wanting to recoup some of their development budget on Rise of the Resistance/Galaxy's Edge or the newer attractions. While I don't want to encourage it, charging a little extra for premium access to a 75+ million dollar attraction is OK with me. However, I do think there should be a family plan for both Genie+ and IAS. Asking a family of 5, 2 parents and 3 children, to pay $75 to ride Rise of the Resistance is crossing the line.

My biggest problem is with the individual attraction selection list. Expedition Everest is a 15-year old high-capacity ride that was designed with FastPass in mind. Making it an individual attraction selection is ludicrous. Space Mountain is a 46-year old low-capacity legacy ride and belongs on the Genie+ list also. Disney purposely chose these two attractions because they didn't have anything else to offer and they wanted individual attraction selection to include 2 rides at each park. That's more a reflection on the lack of development in the parks over the last 15-20 years than the popularity of these two attractions.

Edit: Galaxy's Edge cost Disney 1 billion dollars, not just ROR.

Last edited:
I cannot believe people are actually going to pay for this. Maybe I’ve been so many times I just don’t care to and I won’t pay. As soon as my daughter is of age and can pay her own way I’m out. My husband and I met working for Disney but I’m over it. Too complicated, not a vacation anymore for me anyways. I don’t understand the obsession and money spent by people anymore, I just don’t get it.

I might pay for MK and HS, they seem to be decent value for our family. But Epcot and AK seem very doable without purchasing Genie+. We are DVC so will also take advantage of the evening hours and hopefully that will cut down on our need to purchase.

I will absolutely not pay for the Individual Attractions, however. $60+ for my family to ride Mine Train is crazy.

I cannot believe people are actually going to pay for this. Maybe I’ve been so many times I just don’t care to and I won’t pay. As soon as my daughter is of age and can pay her own way I’m out. My husband and I met working for Disney but I’m over it. Too complicated, not a vacation anymore for me anyways. I don’t understand the obsession and money spent by people anymore, I just don’t get it.

yeah, the Disney obsession is strange. I‘ve even heard there is places on the internet where people go to discuss Disney in their free time. They even create names and have pictures associated with Disney. It’s just so strange.

Okay, so now to decide what I’m going to do. It debuts right in the middle of my trip. I’m doing Epcot on the 19th, AK and MK on the 20th, MK on the 22nd, and HS on the 23rd. I guess I’ll see how busy it is and how the lines are before I decide to purchase either Genie+ or IA$. I’ll already have a week of park-going prior to this and a couple nights deluxe guest access to Epcot and MK. So I may not have to invest in it. We’ll see how it plays out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter