Disney Genie announcement

That's what I was thinking too. Epcot and AK have so few attractions that it hardly seems to make G+ worth it.

Me and my girl are going to Disney World next month. As soon as this came out yesterday, I was like Damn the $15 per person Genie+ for Epcot & Animal Kingdom. We're Rope Dropping both parks & I'ma Lightning Lane Frozen, Ratatouille & Safari, use standby for the rest of the rides, call it a day & save me some money. LOL. My only concern is getting a Lightning Lane at the times that I want. We'll be on property and getting the 7am slot to make our choices is cool. But that doesn't mean that the times that we want for certain rides will be available at that time. But my goal is simple, try not to use Genie+ much since Disney's system is trash. LOL.

And there is it is.

How on earth they think they will get overseas guests to stay 14 nights on site and expect them to fork out $60 average for 10 of those days is beyond me. If we pay we do everything in shorter time meaning we dont need 14 day tickets at all.

God speed Geniepigs, i await the honest reviews.
If you are going for 14 days, it would be highly unlikely that you would need it every single day. Or even at all.

If you are going for 14 days, it would be highly unlikely that you would need it every single day. Or even at all.
Well as said in my previous post me as many Europeans have tickets for 21 days and used fast passes for 21 days why wouldn't have to be the same with the Genie app?

Well as said in my previous post me as many Europeans have tickets for 21 days and used fast passes for 21 days why wouldn't have to be the same with the Genie app?
You said it would be a lot of money (true). All I'm saying is that you don't need to get it every day if you don't want to spend that much.

I'm trying to find a silver lining on this and boy is it hard. But let's consider that everything that has been put out there has said it is $15 per person per day, not per park. So, will that mean that you could hop to or from Epcot and AK (two parks that don't seem worth the purchase) and still use your Genie+ at MK and HS? And if so, would you need to be present in that 2nd park in order to book your next LL? With FP+, you could book your next reservation at any park after using your first 3 and you did not need to be inside that 2nd park to do it.

If Genie+ works that way, you could conceivably spend a morning at HS and then head over to Epcot in the afternoon to do a few attractions as well. And with only 3 hours between when Epcot opens and hopping begins, there should still be LL reservations available if you were to hop early.

You said it would be a lot of money (true). All I'm saying is that you don't need to get it every day if you don't want to spend that much.
Yes I know we don't have to have that everyday, but doing so would be downgrading from what we were used to for a much higher price. And that's not the only downgrading aspect.
International travellers also used to have free dining as an incentive. I doubt this will ever come back. And the advantages of staying on site, all that is gone.
We also have to consider really high airplane fares for us 6 for example, from Australia would be probably looking at around $10, 000 if prices remain precovid.

All I'm saying is just that they are pushing international travellers even further away.
And probably also families, because one thing is to pay this for one or two people the other is to pay for 5 or 6.

If this had been asked or I missed it, sorry. Will you be able to do your whole travel party at once or will everyone have to have their own Disney experience account to get this. If everyone has to have Their own account how will you be sure that times will Be together

Not to beat a dead horse, but I feel really sorry for the casual Disney-going family because this is just so complicated. Even the changing IA prices make it a headache to plan in advance. Like here in this thread people are already trying to figure things out, but we are such a small percentage of the amount of people who actually visit the park. I'm imagining there will lots of people fumbling around on their phones in front of attractions trying to figure out what LL is, where FP went, and what the hell they have to pay to use it, that is if all the LL passes aren't already "sold" out, like how FP got scooped up really quickly on busy days. And I can't imagine how extra complicated this is for guests who don't speak English. I know there is a WDW website in Spanish and Portuguese (and maybe some other languages?), but for a lot of other people this is going to be a really complicated thing to figure out.

All that being said, I'm really interested to see how this works out and if the IA prices are worth. I'm planning a short trip in December and the only IA I can see us buying might be Remy, because we are planning on park hopping to Epcot midday so we wouldn't be able to get in the free boarding group. I'm also going with a massive SW fan who has been on RotR once, but I can see him wanting to buy a IA for that again. Someone joked about all the bloggers being in the parks, but I would actually like to see what some of them do with LL and how to best utilize it, if it even really needs to be utilized.

I think the casual Disney guest will do just fine with this. They aren’t the guests who are going to research how to maximize it or how to find loopholes to make it better. They aren’t Disney fanatics. So if they pay for G+ they’ll just book some LL as they go about their day and be happy they skipped some lines. Most won’t even know FP used to be free. I bet a large portion of casual guests won’t even pay for it and if they do they’ll barely use it. I know so many people who did Disney during FP+ and never even utilized that. I even know one family that paid for DDP and barely used it because they made no ADRs and couldn’t get into any restaurants. This site doesn’t show the average Disney guest. We are the small percentage of over planners.

Not at all. The fact that you have no control over a return time makes this nothing like FP+. It’s more like a paid electronic version of the original FP system. The angst is that Disney has taken nearly full control of your schedule unless you just want to resign yourself to standby all day. Their marketing for this is truly Orwellian. In one sentence it tells you how the app will keep telling you where to go and the next sentence talks about how you can be more spontaneous. No matter how you look at it - people whom actually liked planning their Disney trips - which is a great number of people on this board - just lost a hell of a lot of control over their day and most likely a great increase in wait times overall (not to mention how bad this is for people who don’t want to wake at 7am and rope drop).

I’m not seeing this in any way taking control of my schedule. We don’t have to take the Genie suggestions, or even look at it at all.

i look at it as a quick place to get information to help answer that question “what should we do next?”, something that everyone at a WDW park faces several times a day.

If it works like it sounds, you can (if you want) look at the app and see wait times and next available LL times for every attraction, with emphasis on ones you’ve identified as your priorities.

In the old paper FP days, if you were interested in a particular ride, you had to go to the attraction itself to see the standby wait time and see the available FP return time. If the standby wait was too long and the FP return time not available, you had to move to a Plan B and repeat the process. This will let you make that decision more quickly with fewer steps.

A lot of the free Genie service looks like a more robust version of Touring Plans. People who have followed those plans religiously (not us) might find this to be even better than that because the plans can be adjusted with real time information about wait times, attractions that are down, etc.

Assuming that Disney doesn’t allocate even a higher percentage of a ride’s capacity to the LL, I don’t see why this system should make standby lines longer than they were with FP+. If anything they might be shorter because fewer people,will be running around with their 3 ”free” FPs. That would all seem to depend on how many guests decide to pay for Genie+ and ILLA.

For those guests who never used paper FP (and Disney said that was about half of them) this will just be a return to those days with everything standby (except for those attractions that have IALL and a VQ).

I‘m looking forward to seeing how it works in practice.

Practice?

I have a few sets of tickets: I know I can't practice the G+ selections without paying $15, but if I make park reservations I should be able to practice/see what individual LL are available for purchase at park opening. This will be useful information to determine what ILL options will be available after resort guests get to them at 7AM.

Am I thinking this correctly?

Practice?

I have a few sets of tickets: I know I can't practice the G+ selections without paying $15, but if I make park reservations I should be able to practice/see what individual LL are available for purchase at park opening. This will be useful information to determine what ILL options will be available after resort guests get to them at 7AM.

Am I thinking this correctly?
Practicing from home for IA$/ILL$ may not work. Offsite guests cannot reserve those selections until they have entered a park. You may not be able to see any IA$ time slots at all if you're checking from home. I guess we will know for sure after Oct. 19.

My personal thoughts on Genie+ is I'm cautiously optimistic for it. I loved fastpasses and worked that system very well and always was able to get multiple fastpasses after my first 3 were used up. I rarely had to wait in standby and when I did, it was 20 minute or less wait. I'm assuming at this point that my ability to get Genie+ day of should be about the same as it was for Fastpass+. I will definitely be adding on the $15/day to my package tickets and will just be thinking of it as part of my ticket pricing. I'm not sure how often I will take advantage of the IAS offerings, but I do like that there is an option there for me if I really want to get on a super popular ride and don't want to wait. I see me taking advantage of this for the new rides I haven't been on yet like RoR, MMRR & Ratatouille.

A few things I'm waiting for more info on that will help with my planning...

I know you can only hold one Genie+ at a time, but can you hold both of your IAS at a time and/or can you hold an IAS and a Genie+ at the same time?

I know you can only ride the IAS attractions once per day to a max of 2, but can you repeat Genie+ attractions (assuming availability)?

How will this work with APs? I'm considering upgrading my tickets to AP this coming trip, but not sure the impact if I do. I'm assuming I would have to just purchase the Genie+ daily for $15 as opposed to purchasing it up front as part of my package, but I'm not sure.

Not at all. The fact that you have no control over a return time makes this nothing like FP+. It’s more like a paid electronic version of the original FP system. The angst is that Disney has taken nearly full control of your schedule unless you just want to resign yourself to standby all day. Their marketing for this is truly Orwellian. In one sentence it tells you how the app will keep telling you where to go and the next sentence talks about how you can be more spontaneous. No matter how you look at it - people whom actually liked planning their Disney trips - which is a great number of people on this board - just lost a hell of a lot of control over their day and most likely a great increase in wait times overall (not to mention how bad this is for people who don’t want to wake at 7am and rope drop).

We’ll I guess we are interpreting the information in two different ways.

I will wait to see how it actually works for awhile before I declare it a failure. I’m going right after it begins and again in January - be a good comparison.

Last edited:
Wow -
$15 to ride RoR - seems to me that ride is one and done - very underwhelmed to say the least
$10 to ride 7DMT in MK and $7 from EE in AK - EE is the bargain here

Space Mountain - how often does that break down - will be interesting to see how many will actually pay for this.

Will they continue to inflate the wait times?

BTW- I am OK with the $15 a day for the other rides - that would work for me I think - will have to see how it pans out - if it is only once per ride per day - then no

Last edited:
I think the casual Disney guest will do just fine with this. They aren’t the guests who are going to research how to maximize it or how to find loopholes to make it better. They aren’t Disney fanatics. So if they pay for G+ they’ll just book some LL as they go about their day and be happy they skipped some lines. Most won’t even know FP used to be free. I bet a large portion of casual guests won’t even pay for it and if they do they’ll barely use it. I know so many people who did Disney during FP+ and never even utilized that. I even know one family that paid for DDP and barely used it because they made no ADRs and couldn’t get into any restaurants. This site doesn’t show the average Disney guest. We are the small percentage of over planners.

I agree with you. There was a pretty high % of guests who never utilized a FP at all, many of that group thought people were paying for them back then when they weren't. I expect Genie+ not be much different and in fact you will likely end up with a group of casual guests who buy Genie+ and may still not take advantage of it completely. It can be hard when you are on boards like this with a bunch of uber planners to remember that we are very much the minority of the number of guests who visit the parks.

My personal thoughts on Genie+ is I'm cautiously optimistic for it. I loved fastpasses and worked that system very well and always was able to get multiple fastpasses after my first 3 were used up. I rarely had to wait in standby and when I did, it was 20 minute or less wait. I'm assuming at this point that my ability to get Genie+ day of should be about the same as it was for Fastpass+. I will definitely be adding on the $15/day to my package tickets and will just be thinking of it as part of my ticket pricing. I'm not sure how often I will take advantage of the IAS offerings, but I do like that there is an option there for me if I really want to get on a super popular ride and don't want to wait. I see me taking advantage of this for the new rides I haven't been on yet like RoR, MMRR & Ratatouille.

A few things I'm waiting for more info on that will help with my planning...

I know you can only hold one Genie+ at a time, but can you hold both of your IAS at a time and/or can you hold an IAS and a Genie+ at the same time?

I know you can only ride the IAS attractions once per day to a max of 2, but can you repeat Genie+ attractions (assuming availability)?

How will this work with APs? I'm considering upgrading my tickets to AP this coming trip, but not sure the impact if I do. I'm assuming I would have to just purchase the Genie+ daily for $15 as opposed to purchasing it up front as part of my package, but I'm not sure.
From what has been reported by reputable bloggers, not necessarily directly from Disney:
  1. You can hold two IA$ concurrently. They just cannot be for the same experience and you cannot purchase a third that day. You can also have a Genie+ selection while holding those 2 IA$ reservations. It's possible, under certain circumstances, to even have 2 Genie+ selections reserved if the first one is 120+ minutes away from the time when you reserved it.
  2. Genie+ will be limited to once per attraction per day.
  3. You cannot add Genie+ to your AP for the length of your AP. It will be a daily purchase.

We’ll I guess we are interpreting the information in two different ways.

I will wait to see how it actually works for awhile before I declare it a failure. I’m going right after it begins and again in January - be a good comparison.
I'm looking forward to your impressions from your first trip. I trust you to give a fair evaluation of it. Please report back when you've had first-hand experience with it.

We decided to give it a go for our November weekend trip. Being there only two days and having park hopper, we will have a limited time and more LL options since we can move between parks. Glad it will be out for a few weeks so we can gather feedback and experiences from others before making a plan.

Wow -
$15 to ride RoR - seems to me that ride is one and done - very underwhelmed to say the least
$10 to ride 7DMT in MK and $7 from EE in AK - EE is the bargain here

Space Mountain - how often does that break down - will be interesting to see how many will actually pay for this.

Will they continue to inflate the wait times?

BTW- I am OK with the $15 a day for the other rides - that would work for me I think - will have to see how it pans out - if it is only once per ride per day - then no
You are very, very much in the minority with that. Which is ok. Its often regarded as the best theme park ride in the world. I've ridden it about 15 times and I would gladly pay $15 for it every trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter