Disney Genie announcement

Yes. When you purchase it for a day it can be used at all parks you go to on that day.

Thanks! I've looked but can't seem to find any official verbiage from Disney confirming this. While we only plan to use G+ at MK and DHS, there will be some days we hop between those parks.

I think it’s a mistake to have everyone book 7 am.

I thought I could book my first genie+ and the other 2 LL at 7 am for later in the day (like scheduled fast passes)

From what I understand after reading here, and lots of blogs is:

If your a resort guest at 7 am you can:
-book your first genie plus selection for the first available return time. You can make a second one 120minutes later or after you use your first.
- book and pay for up to 2 lightening lane passes. You get to chose your return time.
-virtual que if a ride is using it for a park you have a reservation.

if you are not a resort guest at 7 am you can:
-book your first genie plus selection for the first available return time. You can make a second one 120minutes later or after you use your first.
-virtual que if a ride is using it for a park you have a reservation.

if you are NOT a resort guest you cannot buy individual lightening lane upgrade until offical park opening time.

You get the next available time for Genie plus. You will be able to see the time

you can choose your time with individual lightening lane uogrades

Questions I still have:

If I have a park hopper can I buy lightening lane upgrade for any park at 7am for after 2pm.

if I have park hopper do I have to wait until 2pm to use genie plus in another park or can I watch return times and start booking them earlier for after 2pm.

will genie plus use multiple expirence lightening lane passes when a ride goes down during your return window..

We are considering park hopping so I would like to know the answer as well.

We downgraded our resort from deluxe (so booked parks that had extended hours for deluxe guests) and I don’t want to rearrange all the days as ADRs (difficult to get ones- Oga, Space, BOG, Ohana) are already set and are hard to change. Now they’ve added an extra hour to AK (until Oct 30th) and some days MK in Oct.

Planning is horrible with all these last minute changes.

What I just don't understand is that Disney is not allowing us to pick the time of day for our first Genie+ time. So, if I go on at 7am to pick our first ride, yet not doing rope drop or have a breakfast reservation before heading to the park I have to wait and keep refreshing the app to hopefully start booking our first ride for when we actually are going to the park.

This seems like a very poor setup to not allow guests to pick times and make it a first available time only.

Strategically I would attempt to make 1st LL for at minimum 2 hours going forward so that you can book a second attraction prior to that. My guess is what will happen is that people will want to book high interest rides and then as people arrive and attempt to book SDD for example will keep pushing back to later on the day. If you get one for 3pm then at least you have one, then you have time to work the rest of the not as popular rides before that.

what I worry about is if I pay for Genie + and then it ends up being a race to grab a time and end op not having any availability to ride something like SDD then that would really stink. Is this new G+ going to be like getting a BG all day long? Hopefully not as that will make most people stressed and therefore makes the system not what it is intended to be, something to manage crowds and wait times.
I would think the strategy would be to try to book your main ride at park shortly after 2pm, then focus on your smaller tier quick in and outs at park 1 until you are ready for a mid day break-then hop to the park with the top tier attraction do that and then focus on quick in and outs, (possibly another longer wait ride after lunch first then the easier access rides) if there is reasonable availability. Unfortunately I will be learning this day off so that is awful.

What I just don't understand is that Disney is not allowing us to pick the time of day for our first Genie+ time. So, if I go on at 7am to pick our first ride, yet not doing rope drop or have a breakfast reservation before heading to the park I have to wait and keep refreshing the app to hopefully start booking our first ride for when we actually are going to the park.

This seems like a very poor setup to not allow guests to pick times and make it a first available time only.
This is my biggest concern. Especially when combined with extended evening hours.

This is my biggest concern. Especially when combined with extended evening hours.

yes what this system is- is a in real Time system. You are right. If you aren't rope dropping then you won't have a reason to book at 7am. At 7am return times are going to be for the first hour the park is open. You are correct you will want to watch the times for when you think you will get into the parks.
If I can offer reassurance tho- this is exactly how maxpass worked and I never felt like I couldn't enjoy my mornings we weren't rope dropping. It also mean that while we were at breakfast or whatever - that I could start stacking them for when we would be in the park. The same strategy works for mid day breaks.

Thoughts and prayers for the CMs who have to deal with explaining this whole thing to guests when it first launches. There's 150+ pages of chit chat here among savvy WDW folks and yet there seems to be many questions and much confusion. Can you just imagine when this wave crashes upon the rocks of the general public?
And yet according to Disney, this was supposed to make your vacation planning easier, and we asked for it. OH BOY
Honestly, I think it's Disney's fault, they have put out the information in bits and pieces with information missing. So then everyone is left speculating and scratching their heads.

And what time the later in the day LL become available could vary greatly on how crowded the parks are so any knowledge from people who already traveled may mean nothing. If the crowds are low when Genie+ is rolled out then maybe you can wait until 9am to book the first LL but if it is crowded then maybe by 7:30am you need to book.

Disney took the constant refreshing for FP+ from during the day to 7am each day. I am not sure how that is any better.

So can we still use our magic bands to get on rides at lightning lanes with Genie+? I know we use our phones to buy Genie+ and then select one ride at a time. I'm hoping we don't have to scan with our phones at ride entrance also.

So can we still use our magic bands to get on rides at lightning lanes with Genie+? I know we use our phones to buy Genie+ and then select one ride at a time. I'm hoping we don't have to scan with our phones at ride entrance also.
It will work with magic bands or plastic cards.

Exactly! If you're not going to the park in the morning, you will have to constantly be refreshing until you can see a time that works for you. I used to pick my FP+ times for after lunch. HOW do I make that happen with Genie+?? I am SO annoyed.

if you are NOT a resort guest you cannot buy individual lightening lane upgrade until offical park opening time.
To build on this question, at which park's official opening time can I buy the ILL$ pass? For example, if I'm an offsite guest and starting the day at MK, then hopping to Epcot, if I want to buy a pass for Remy, can I do that when MK opens or do I have to wait until Epcot opens?

To build on this question, at which park's official opening time can I buy the ILL$ pass? For example, if I'm an offsite guest and starting the day at MK, then hopping to Epcot, if I want to buy a pass for Remy, can I do that when MK opens or do I have to wait until Epcot opens?
I believe it will be for the Park that you have a park reservation for that day.

Exactly! If you're not going to the park in the morning, you will have to constantly be refreshing until you can see a time that works for you. I used to pick my FP+ times for after lunch. HOW do I make that happen with Genie+?? I am SO annoyed.
I could be wrong, but it’s my understanding that with Genie+ you’ll only be able to select the nearest wait time available, so hitting refresh will only display a new timeslot when the current one runs out, unlike Fastpass+. Only the individual attraction selections will let you choose from several time frames

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter