Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to share my experience today with the Happy Guy gift cards that I bought at Kroger on the 4x fuel points promotion. I bought 4 $50 HG gift cards and took them to Home Depot today to buy Disney gift cards with them. I got one $50 Disney gift card and went through the self check out lane with it. Their system would not accept the Happy Guy gift card as payment. A Home Depot employee came over and explained that they had recently changed their policy and you could no longer buy a gift card with a gift card.
So, I tried another Home Depot in my area. This time I was also buying a small filler item. I went to the self checkout and got the same error message about not being able to use the HG gift card. A helpful employee came over and tried processing my transaction selecting "credit" as payment method instead of gift card. This worked. I was able to buy the $50 Disney gift card and the filler item with my HG gift card. I paid with a credit card for the remaining balance, which was the price of the filler item.

So, now I have 3 more $50 HG gift cards that I hope to be able to convert to Disney gift cards. I will go back and try to buy the Disney gift card by selecting credit as the payment method and swiping the HG gift card. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to buy a filler item and hope that will work. This is a lot of work, and I think I'm probably done with purchasing the HG gift cards.

It says on the bottom of the Happy Cards to run them as credit. That's the only way it works, since the card can be used at multiple stores that aren't owned by the same company.

I wanted to share my experience today with the Happy Guy gift cards that I bought at Kroger on the 4x fuel points promotion. I bought 4 $50 HG gift cards and took them to Home Depot today to buy Disney gift cards with them. I got one $50 Disney gift card and went through the self check out lane with it. Their system would not accept the Happy Guy gift card as payment. A Home Depot employee came over and explained that they had recently changed their policy and you could no longer buy a gift card with a gift card.
So, I tried another Home Depot in my area. This time I was also buying a small filler item. I went to the self checkout and got the same error message about not being able to use the HG gift card. A helpful employee came over and tried processing my transaction selecting "credit" as payment method instead of gift card. This worked. I was able to buy the $50 Disney gift card and the filler item with my HG gift card. I paid with a credit card for the remaining balance, which was the price of the filler item.

So, now I have 3 more $50 HG gift cards that I hope to be able to convert to Disney gift cards. I will go back and try to buy the Disney gift card by selecting credit as the payment method and swiping the HG gift card. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to buy a filler item and hope that will work. This is a lot of work, and I think I'm probably done with purchasing the HG gift cards.
You scared the living daylights out of me at the beginning here but it sounds like all is still well in the HG HD world. Just to be certain- did you try to process it as a gift card? Because that has never worked. These must always be processed as credit.

You scared the living daylights out of me at the beginning here but it sounds like all is still well in the HG HD world. Just to be certain- did you try to process it as a gift card? Because that has never worked. These must always be processed as credit.

So do the Happy cards in effect allow the issuers to get around the pesky rule that Visa and MC giftcards have to allow debit use? I’m assuming this guarantees them the higher credit swipe fees. I wonder if these are the future of variable store gift cards. I don’t expect Visa or MC gift cards to disappear but I have to assume these are more profitable to the issuer (even without the activation fee since in this case they get the target stores to cover a portion of the cost like they do with store branded gift cards).

It says on the bottom of the Happy Cards to run them as credit. That's the only way it works, since the card can be used at multiple stores that aren't owned by the same company.

Unfortunately that's exactly what I tried here in Macomb MI and it failed. It was the gift card and confirmed by the company. I ended up waiting a month to get my refund from them. This was during the height of the holiday season. I was not purchasing Disney GC's but a cooler.

Unfortunately that's exactly what I tried here in Macomb MI and it failed. It was the gift card and confirmed by the company. I ended up waiting a month to get my refund from them. This was during the height of the holiday season. I was not purchasing Disney GC's but a cooler.

So the gift card itself was defective? That sounds like a separate, albeit highly annoying, issue than what the OP was upset about. She was trying to run it through as a gift card, not credit.

So the gift card itself was defective? That sounds like a separate, albeit highly annoying, issue than what the OP was upset about. She was trying to run it through as a gift card, not credit.

Just sharing my story. Yes, it was the gift card. If anyone has any issues where a refund is warranted be forewarned it takes a month to get your money back. On a good note I purchased the HG gc from Staples, buy $300, get $15 off. The amount of my check was $300 and my credit card I used for this purchase was charged $285, so I did make money but it was very frustrating.

Thanks! The coupon is active now for me. I have both a 3rd party coupon and a Visa/Mastercard coupon. :)
Same here. Good timing--I need google play gift cards to pay for youtube tv and more Disney for my next Disney cruise. Should probably start getting Universal too for our three days in December.

And still have $175 left on my Lowes offer and my Lowes restocked Kroger gift cards.

Do you know how long a membership has to have lapsed before we can take advantage of these offers? Or if it's possible to get a new membership in my DH's name instead of mine?
I’m not positive about how long the primary needs to wait before they are eligible as a new member.

The secondary/complimentary member from your previous membership is eligible at any time, and then the previous primary can be the complimentary member on the new membership.

So if you had the primary membership and your husband was the complimentary, he’d be eligible at any time to be the primary on the new membership, and you’d be eligible at any time to be the secondary on the new membership.

Same here. Good timing--I need google play gift cards to pay for youtube tv and more Disney for my next Disney cruise. Should probably start getting Universal too for our three days in December.

And still have $175 left on my Lowes offer and my Lowes restocked Kroger gift cards.
We bought 2x$200 in Kroger GCs last time around, the offers that expired in November. We used one right away, and then grocery/gas were rotating categories for Discover and Freedom... so I just started using the 2nd one two weeks ago :rotfl:

Wanted to report that I went back to the Home Depot where I was able to use the HG gift cards yesterday and was able to buy 3 Disney $50 gift cards with my 3 $50 HG gift cards. I went through self check-out and processed the payment method as credit. It worked like a charm!

Do you know how long a membership has to have lapsed before we can take advantage of these offers? Or if it's possible to get a new membership in my DH's name instead of mine?

I believe memberships are one year. You have to go into your account and change the auto renewal. Yes, it's been reported people have their spouses signed up as well. My hubby signed up during the multi offers, I've received several emails to sign up as well but I'm waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter