• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not a gift card related question, but since others on here shop on ebay I thought I'd ask. During our trip DH and DS got into pin trading. I thought I would order some from ebay so for our next trip we would have some to trade. I received the pins I ordered yesterday and I can tell majority of them are fake. I sent the seller a message asking if they were authentic and she came back saying they were 100% tradeable....(not the same thing, but ok). I'm probably going to ask for a refund, but I purchased them with a few other things last week when they had the coupon for $15 off $60. I wasn't sure how a refund would work in that case. Would it be the full amount of the listing price or just a percentage of how much the discount would have been. I'm trying to factor shipping in as well so I'm not sure if that would justify the return.

I purchased a lot of 25 (about 6 lots) from wns528 and we checked each pin on pinpics and were pretty picky. Seemed that half were scrappers and half real. She says they came from the park and it looks like she is telling the truth because they were from different years and different conditions. I asked her if I could trade her back some of the scrappers (I paid for return shipping) and she was SUPER nice and was willing to trade and said in a personalized note that she tried to weed out any scrappers herself as well. We still got some more scrappers but not as many the next time around. It is a way better scenario for getting cheaper pins than anything I have seen out there. Scrappers are everywhere and some of them are super hard to tell the difference and I would not have known if not for having a real one right next to it. She may not have the lots right now, but you can always send a message and ask. She charged $12.50 for 25.

I purchased a lot of 25 (about 6 lots) from wns528 and we checked each pin on pinpics and were pretty picky. Seemed that half were scrappers and half real. She says they came from the park and it looks like she is telling the truth because they were from different years and different conditions. I asked her if I could trade her back some of the scrappers (I paid for return shipping) and she was SUPER nice and was willing to trade and said in a personalized note that she tried to weed out any scrappers herself as well. We still got some more scrappers but not as many the next time around. It is a way better scenario for getting cheaper pins than anything I have seen out there. Scrappers are everywhere and some of them are super hard to tell the difference and I would not have known if not for having a real one right next to it. She may not have the lots right now, but you can always send a message and ask. She charged $12.50 for 25.

This is the problem with pin trading now and why its all but over. Most the pins in the parks that you might trade for are scrappers. I traded a bunch two years ago and wound up with a lot of scrappers trading with CMs.

Not sure if it's been mentioned (I don't check this thread as often, sadly) but Ebates is offering 1% back for Raise gift cards again. I know they stopped for a long while. Isn't much use now but thought I'd mention it.

The person I had bought them from said they had all been traded in
This is the problem with pin trading now and why its all but over. Most the pins in the parks that you might trade for are scrappers. I traded a bunch two years ago and wound up with a lot of scrappers trading with CMs.
The person I had bought them from said they had all been traded in the parks so I can believe it. I honestly couldn't trade something I knew to be a fake though. It's sad because my son really enjoyed trading while we were there, but I'd hate for him to trade an authentic pin and wind up with something that wasn't.

I'm new to the pin trading idea and "just" bought a lot of 100 pins on ebay. I don't think my kids will be into trading at the parks as they are going to be 15, 18 and 21 the next time we go and are all really shy. I was thinking the pins would be more for accessorizing their outfits, drawstring bags and the visors of our camper. What exactly are the ones for scrappers that are mentioned?

I'm new to the pin trading idea and "just" bought a lot of 100 pins on ebay. I don't think my kids will be into trading at the parks as they are going to be 15, 18 and 21 the next time we go and are all really shy. I was thinking the pins would be more for accessorizing their outfits, drawstring bags and the visors of our camper. What exactly are the ones for scrappers that are mentioned?
Scrappers are pins that aren't authentic to Disney. From what I've read the molds aren't tossed when production of a pin is finished so people will make replica's from the molds and sell them for cheap. People will still trade them with cast members even though they're not authentic. I'm not sure how often it happens since we were only trading pins we had bought from one of the shops, but I've read that cast members have to accept trades even if they think the pin might be a scrapper.

I agree. I personally do not want to give my kids full priced pins to trade in the parks. That way they can trade their hearts out and I won't feel like we just traded $5-$10 pins for scrappers!

How can you tell they are authentic? Are they marked differently?
Some of them can be really difficult to see the difference. If you do a google search, you will find some that show the real pin next to the scrapper/fake/etc. Some have spelling errors, some have spacing differences, some have color errors, some are different thicknesses, some will have rough edges, etc.

@smellyia Hope you all have a really awesome vacation! Stay safe, hear the rains are coming! And enjoy using those gc's and the awesome AP discounts, more Disney savings than you planned and that = more fun and pixie dust!

How can you tell they are authentic? Are they marked differently?

Most pins have Mickey heads on the back. If there is a border around the edges it's fake. If it's a barely noticeable very even edge it could be authentic in more recent pins but that is rare. Pretty much, if there is a border it's fake. There should be 1 or 2 nubs by the post. Not there, it's a fake! Real ones definitely feel thicker but so do some of the fakes. Best way to tell is to go to pinpics and compare color and design. A lot of fakes, the color is off slightly. One part is light purple instead of sky blue. After so many you can start to spot fakes much quicker.

There are cast members now in DLR who goes through the pins they put on the lanyards they send out everyday to trash the scrappers. Even though it's not enough, it's hopefully less stressful for those who want to trade with real pins.

Kroger has a digital coupon for 4x fuel points on gift cards through 10/11. Haven't tried it out yet.
i experimented with this last time and did not get the points on a $50 master card. sign in store said it did not apply to visa, american express or mc but i tried it anyway. my kroger is a fred meyers in oregon. when they had it specifically on visa, mc, and ax i had to call and show coupon before they would authorize the points.

i've still got $75 in ebay gift cards. was able to purchase a starbucks gc today on ebay with gift card.

i experimented with this last time and did not get the points on a $50 master card. sign in store said it did not apply to visa, american express or mc but i tried it anyway. my kroger is a fred meyers in oregon. when they had it specifically on visa, mc, and ax i had to call and show coupon before they would authorize the points.
It works where I am for fixed amount visa and MasterCard debit cards. The signs at my store specify that you don't get points for the loadable (select amount) visa and master cards.

It works where I am for fixed amount visa and MasterCard debit cards. The signs at my store specify that you don't get points for the loadable (select amount) visa and master cards.
checked coupon and it says mc/visa/ax no way they can tell me that it doesn't qualify this time! thankyou

There are cast members now in DLR who goes through the pins they put on the lanyards they send out everyday to trash the scrappers. Even though it's not enough, it's hopefully less stressful for those who want to trade with real pins.

They evidently aren't doing it on the ships because we came home from our most recent Officer Pin Trading on the Wonder with some fakes. For me, personally, I don't really care what's in our collection because for my daughter, it's about the trading. Anything we really want, we purchase and keep in a separate stash. It's about the trading for us. But on the other hand, I feel bad trading back fakes for people that want real pins. But honestly, what can I do? We started out with a good stash of real ones and we're down to a lot of fakes, so I dunno. It seems like a lose lose unless you go into it knowing that it's about the trading and you get what you get.

H
If you area member at Sams Warehouse, and you plan on staying with Swagbucks, I would get a Sams or WalMart Card. Sams sells sells 3 $50 Disney cards for 142.95 (or something like that.) When you have enough gift cards, you can exchange there. If that's not an option for you, then Paypal, Target or BB are your best options. Unless you have self checkout at your Target, you won't get a RED Card discount, but heck, it's still a free card.

We have a Those using Swagbucks thread here on DIS, which you might find helpful

I have done disney GC from target but how do you get red card discount at self checkout if doing gc to gc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter