• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you buy a Disney gc from Target (or anywhere) and the silver spot isn't scratched off, do you think it's pretty safe if it just sits around and collects for a year or so before it's needed? Someone else mentioned gift card hackers, so I'm nervous, now that theres not a DVA to put my gift cards in.
I would say it's pretty safe, yeah. But pretty safe is pretty vague! There are people out there attempting massive amounts of random numbers against gift cards and credit cards all the time. I'd say the silver being scratched is irrelevant -- once you own it, the number is what it is. Thieves aren't trying to read it, they're hoping to discover it. If my credit card gets hacked, I believe my cc will protect me. If a gift card gets hacked, I think it's going to be just out of luck. That's the risk.

Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, so walmart gift cards work at sam's club.

OMG!!! Where have I been all this time? I never knew this, I kept reading people doing this but I just wasn't getting it but now I know! Thanks all! :goodvibes

My husband won a $50 Barnes & Noble GC from a work related golf outing - what can I do with it? Where can I exchange it for a Disney GC?:scratchin

Just saying many purchased the e-gift card and they were cancelled. It's a few pages back but the physical GC were not an issue.
I decided I really didn't want to try at my Walmart, everything always seems broken and I didn't want to risk trying gift-card transactions so instead I bought some Starbucks egift cards (delivered in like 10 mins) and a $200 Visa gift card to be mailed to me. The Visa card comes with an aprox $7 fee but when I did the math it still worked out good enough for me to give it a go, especially since I will transfer the points to my CSR. Fingers crossed they don't cancel my Visa purchase!

OMG!!! Where have I been all this time? I never knew this, I kept reading people doing this but I just wasn't getting it but now I know! Thanks all! :goodvibes

My husband won a $50 Barnes & Noble GC from a work related golf outing - what can I do with it? Where can I exchange it for a Disney GC?:scratchin
Haha! That's awesome! (I'm a book nerd!) Besides the usual places to sell it online (I've never tried those) the $50 could cover membership dues at B&N for 2 years if you're interested. Idk how much barnes and noble online shopping you do but it gets you free shipping and they also send out slightly larger coupons to members than the general public on occasion.

Haha! That's awesome! (I'm a book nerd!) Besides the usual places to sell it online (I've never tried those) the $50 could cover membership dues at B&N for 2 years if you're interested. Idk how much barnes and noble online shopping you do but it gets you free shipping and they also send out slightly larger coupons to members than the general public on occasion.

We're member as well. I guess I could just keep it and easily re-gift it to a teacher. I just don't know how much more stuff my house can take! Love our local library!

If you buy a Disney gc from Target (or anywhere) and the silver spot isn't scratched off, do you think it's pretty safe if it just sits around and collects for a year or so before it's needed? Someone else mentioned gift card hackers, so I'm nervous, now that theres not a DVA to put my gift cards in.
At the recommendation of someone else on these boards, I ordered a Disney GC direct from Disney (the lowest amount $25), and then I registered it online and now when I buy one locally, I instantly transfer it to the one I got from Disney (up to $1000 of course).

If they just try number after number though and hit yours, there's hardly anything you can do about that except fight it.

We're member as well. I guess I could just keep it and easily re-gift it to a teacher. I just don't know how much more stuff my house can take! Love our local library!
Hahaha! Well, I used a gift card last time for membership renewal- after all there's always room for books! That's what I tell myself at least... our house tells a different story but I try to ignore it...

There's a lot of fear but nobody has been able to bring up 1 instance of someone getting their Disney gift card drained. Sure, none of us want to be the first but please don't let the fear mongers on the boards freak you out about something that has never happened. Some people feel safer ordering a card from Disney direct and transferring to that one, so if that helps calm you go that route. Some feel safer registering it online so they know people can't transfer the balance. Some feel less safe registering online because they're afraid their account could get hacked and someone could transfer all their card balances (also that has never happened). If someone is randomly inputting numbers hoping to hit live gift cards any gift card you buy from Disney or anybody else could be grabbed like that. If the idea of your card being stolen creates a lot of stress for you gift cards are not the route for you anymore, it's ok :)

Hahaha! Well, I used a gift card last time for membership renewal- after all there's always room for books! That's what I tell myself at least... our house tells a different story but I try to ignore it...

Hahahaha! During Michigan winters my son use to ride his tricycle around in our basement (unfinished and very large) that's not the case anymore. I have to tip toe just to get my laundry done.

I have learned the hard way to always verify the balance immediately after purchase. This is going to be a long story, sorry.

I bought $500 worth of Disney gift cards at Meijer almost a year ago, 1@ $300, 1@ $100, and 2@ $50, in one transaction, paid cash, got the receipt. Didn't check anything and filed the gift cards and receipt away along with all of my others.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I'm adding all my gift cards into DVA because my vacation payment deadline is coming up. Three of the cards come up with an error, so I check the balance online and it gives another error. I then call the number on the back and it tells me that all 3 gift cards were never activated. It actually says "This card has not been activated" as opposed to "Your balance is zero," so there's no way that I could have just spent the money since it had never been activated. So I go through my receipts, start matching numbers, and confirm that the gift cards are for $300, $100, and $50. Apparently the other $50 gift card that was purchased at the same time had been activated, but none of these had. And yes, the receipt showed that I had paid in full in cash.

So I go down to Meijer and explain the situation, but of course, they don't know what to do since it's almost been a year and their system doesn't go back that far. Managers come over and I explain that my receipt proves they were paid for, you can call and see that they were never activated, and they need to fix it. They go into the office to call the regional manager, etc and ONLY THEN do I actually see that at the very bottom of the receipt it actually says "The following gift cards did not activate" and lists the card numbers. So I show that to the managers too.

I get a nice long lecture on how could I have not known until now (umm, I was saving for a trip, and why did you charge me for something that did not activate???) They insisted that they've never seen a gift card not activate and basically acted like I was trying to scam the system. Then they said that since it's been so long, there was nothing they could do. I responded, "You have three choices. 1) You activate these gift cards with the $450 that I paid you 11 months ago. 2) You give me new activated gift cards with $450 on them and I give you these ones back. 3) You refund my $450 in cash that I paid for gift card values that I did not receive. I have proof right here that I was charged and the money was not placed on the gift cards. I'm sorry I did not notice sooner but I will not lose $450 for YOUR system or employee error." They then said they'd have to speak with corporate and would get back to me early the next morning and asked to hold on to the gift cards and receipt. Yeah, I'm going to give you all of my proof that I've even made a purchase from you for you to hold on to over night. Not gonna happen. I did let them make a copy of the receipt only and was assured of that phone call the next morning.

By 4 pm the next day I still hadn't heard from them, so I drive down and it's a different manager. Funny enough, it's the manager that a week ago tried to insist on replacing a jar of spaghetti sauce that my daughter accidentally dropped while bagging groceries. I had told him no, that it was our mistake and they shouldn't lose money for our mistake. He kept insisting and saying, "Let me replace it, you're not responsible, that's not how it works here." I had replied to him, "That's how personal accountability works." He looked shocked, then nodded, smiled, and wished me a good day.

So anyway, fast forward and he greets me with, "Hey, it's you again!" I mention that I'm here to figure out what was determined about my gift cards and he of course has no idea what I'm talking about. So I begin rehashing the story and show him the receipt and gift cards. He cuts me off after matching the gift card numbers to the receipt and turns to an employee and says, "Wait, so the only issue with giving this lady new gift cards is that the register sales aren't going to match up for today?" She nods. He then says, "Well, clearly she paid and didn't receive what she paid for. Go grab three new gift cards." He then smiles at me and says, "I believe in accountability as well." I smile and thank him. The second I walked out I checked the balance and the new cards had been activated.

Sorry for the long story, but point being, always check your gift cards to ensure they've been activated AND read your ENTIRE receipt in case there's a message of importance at the bottom. Even though I did get the issue corrected, it was still a hassle and had I not encountered that one manager who I had that recent broken jar experience with, it might have turned into an even bigger hassle.

The Visa gift card I ordered from Walmart today has already shipped. I have a FedEx tracking number. That just makes me feel better, an actual tracking number! Gonna be hard to cancel my order now Walmart!

I'll second @LongLiveRafiki and say you need to check your balance to make sure it is active and credited the correct amount. AND SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS until you've used the cards!!! I once received Disney gift cards (from Target) that were completely legit but the numbers were not even registered in Disney's system. Literally, the numbers on my gift cards did not exist in Disney's system. I have no idea how that happens, but it did. Once I sent Disney all the information they requested - including my RECEIPT - my gift cards were quickly replaced. I hit a spell around the time the big churns were winding down where I had my BB e-gift cards hacked and drained, I never received Disney GCs I had ordered, and then I received faulty Disney GCs. I was so thankful that people on this board had recommended tracking the cards on a spreadsheet (back when churning was more complicated...and lucrative) and saving all my receipts. If I had not taken the advice, I would have potentially lost between $500-800!

Just to double check that I read right ... I can no longer buy Target giftcards on Raise, then use them online to buy Disney cards and getting my redcard discount to get another 5% off.

Thanks everyone.

This is crazy fun! When did Sam's start accepting Walmart GC as payment? They must be affiliated? I was thinking people were buying Visa or Master card GC at Walmart then going into Sam's - I could see this but not the other. :idea:
The founders name was Sam Walton. They've always been owned by the same company.

Just to double check that I read right ... I can no longer buy Target giftcards on Raise, then use them online to buy Disney cards and getting my redcard discount to get another 5% off.

Thanks everyone.
Correct. You cannot use a target gift card to buy another gift card online. That's how they closed the 5% red card loophole.

It's been a while, but folks reported being able to buy third party gift cards at B&N with their gift cards. I've never noticed any third party gift cards available there, but I haven't been looking.

It's been a while, but folks reported being able to buy third party gift cards at B&N with their gift cards. I've never noticed any third party gift cards available there, but I haven't been looking.

Good to know! I have never taken notice either.

Did anyone else notice on Target's website the new Disney gift card email delivery item?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter