• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Grand Californian?

FARBRI

DVC MEMBER SSR
Can Someone Please Tell Me About This Disney Grand Califorian I Keep Seeing On Here.

The Grand Californian is a hotel resort at the Disneyland Resort in California. It's a spectacular, dark wood, "lodgey" type of resort. It would be in the deluxe category if it were at WDW.

There are lots of rumors that DVC will build an add on DVC Resort there, but so far there is nothing official.
But... We can all hope!! :thumbsup2

MG

I adore the Grand Californian, maybe even more than my beloved Wilderness Lodge. Staying there isn't a bargain in terms of points, but it's worth it. (Points had been lower last year as part of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration.)

We love the Grand Californian and have stayed several times. It is a very nice walk to Disneyland and there is a private enterance for CA Adventure. Downtown Disney is right there also...it is a great location for the DLR. I was in DLR over the past week and spoke to a DVC person there about the "CA rumors". He stated that the demand in California has been greater than they thought so the original 52 units they had planned they feel may now not be enough. I think things are being slowed down a little so they can perhaps build more than originally anticipated. I threw out a rumor I saw about the Disneyland Hotel and turning one of those towers into DVC. He did say that all of the towers are being shut down one by one to be retro-fitted and gutted on the inside. He said if anything......they would build a forth tower were the DVC office currently sits now for a DVC site. So......we shall see. :confused3 I would so love :love: a DVC at Grand Californian

We stayed at the Grand Californian in April of 2005 and we loved it. It is sooo beautiful and convenient to everything. We would love a DVC there. :wizard:

The Grand Californian is similar to Wilderness Lodge (It was designed by the same person). It is a little more formal and less "Rustic" It has the best location of any Disney owned resort (Literally surrounded by DCA, Disneyland, and Downtown Disney). We just stayed there two weeks ago. It is our favorite Disney Resort period. When they announce DVC units there, we wil be first in line.

I am so happy to read everyone's glowing reviews! I booked the GC for this sept (on points) and just got my confirmation in the mail. I am so excited!

Living out here in SanDiego we always use our points at Grandcalifornian. Will be there again in July for a few days ...5 days in DEc and than again next summer 7 days in concierge level before we board the Magic for our cruise:thumbsup2

Cant wait for DVC to do something about that cause would sure want a piece of it.

We were at DLR to see the new version of the subs, and chatted up a DVC CM. It seems the markers, stakes, etc. marking off the area for the GC expansion are now gone. Word is, that the GC DVC is dead.

We were at DLR to see the new version of the subs, and chatted up a DVC CM. It seems the markers, stakes, etc. marking off the area for the GC expansion are now gone. Word is, that the GC DVC is dead.

The markers are gone because the survey is over. This does not mean the plan is dead. Rank and file DVC cast members know no more info than we do. Only the higher up know what the plan is, and they wont speak. I would not consider it dead on the word of one CM.

The Grand Californian is THE BEST!! Even better, imo, than Wilderness Lodge but while in Florida I'll take the Lodge anyday. The GC is totally beautiful and located perfectly for walking to the parks, getting on the monorail, or shopping/dining at Downtown Disney. My absolute favorite thing about GC is the lobby fireplace. It is soooooo AWESOME! It's a great stone alcove (almost cave-like) in which you can sit in one of the many rocking chairs and basically fall asleep in front of the fire. We had our honeymoon there and would go back in a heartbeat, regardless of price.

GC is my farovite DLR hotel, we love staying there. The resort fee is covered by your DVC points so you don't have to pay for parking.

Hi,

I've been lurking the DVC Boards, trying to figure out if DVC is for us. We're Californians and love to go to Grand Californian and would plan to use some points regularly for such trips. So questions I have...

1) Has anyone had problem with availability trying to reserve Grand Californian using points? How far advance do you plan? Is it a big hassle to get a room through points?

2) If you use points, is housekeeping included? (I'm assuming yes, but I don't know)

3) How about early entry?

Thanks for your help. Also interested to hear feedback from Californians on how they like DVC in general...

-Jen

Hi,

I've been lurking the DVC Boards, trying to figure out if DVC is for us. We're Californians and love to go to Grand Californian and would plan to use some points regularly for such trips. So questions I have...

1) Has anyone had problem with availability trying to reserve Grand Californian using points? How far advance do you plan? Is it a big hassle to get a room through points?

2) If you use points, is housekeeping included? (I'm assuming yes, but I don't know)

3) How about early entry?

Thanks for your help. Also interested to hear feedback from Californians on how they like DVC in general...

-Jen

Hi Jen,
We live in SanDiego as I mentioned before. We stay there all the time and can get a room even at last minute. I called a few days ago and scheduled a weekend for July 13 for a few days.

It is not the best bang for your pts,staying at your home resort is your best at WDW. We don't go to WDW everyyear so we use them at DL instead.

There has been talk with the DCL placing one of the new ships here in Ca. that GC may be adding DVC rooms/villas to assist DVC members.

As for GC having HK yes that is included because it is not considered DVC only one of the many many places that you can use your pts...but you need to pay extra for DVC at WDW if you want everyday service. Otherwise you are on your own .

I have never found it a hassle at all getting a room where and when I wanted using my pts. You just need to plan at least 11 months out or 9 months out at other then your HOME resort if planning WDW.

hope this helps and good luck on your decision....it was one of the best ones we made :thumbsup2

Thanks "Got Disney" That does help. While I agree that GCH is less of a deal than WDW if using points...it still seems to be a better deal to use DVC points than pay cash for a reservation. We love GCH, but it has gotten so expensive! Maybe a DVC contract would guarantee that we could afford at least a few days there a year.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this 11-months in advance planning. We're lucky if we plan a vacation 3 months in advance. Is it really that impossible to plan a WDW on points with less upfront planning time?

-Jen

Thanks "Got Disney" That does help. While I agree that GCH is less of a deal than WDW if using points...it still seems to be a better deal to use DVC points than pay cash for a reservation. We love GCH, but it has gotten so expensive! Maybe a DVC contract would guarantee that we could afford at least a few days there a year.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this 11-months in advance planning. We're lucky if we plan a vacation 3 months in advance. Is it really that impossible to plan a WDW on points with less upfront planning time?

-Jen
Jen,
You dont have to plan your vacation that soon. There is a 11 month out booking for your home resort and 9 months for the other resorts. The 3 month difference is so the DVC members can first get there rooms at there Home resort before anyone else that wants to stay there but has a different home resort.

You can book out at 3 months but you may not get the dates that you want or Resort. I have never had a problem and plan our vacations when flying to WDW a year in advanced anyway but at DL I always book sooner and many times last minute.

You can also bank pts if you need for the following year and borrow from the next. Kind of confussing I knwo but it is made so you are sure you go on vacation. Once you have your pts you will always look forward to using them:thumbsup2

[QUOTE="Got Disney";19487991]...
You dont have to plan your vacation that soon. There is a 11 month out booking for your home resort and 9 months for the other resorts. The 3 month difference is so the DVC members can first get there rooms at there Home resort before anyone else that wants to stay there but has a different home resort.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, the reservation priority is 11 months for your Home Resort and 7 months for the other DVC resorts using points.

Can Someone Please Tell Me About This Disney Grand Califorian I Keep Seeing On Here.
I wrote a trip report on my first visit to the Grand Californian almost 5 years ago. You can find it at http://home.att.net/~mao693/dlgcoct2002.htm. There are a few pictures that might give you some idea of why so many of us think very highly of the hotel. Do note that some of the specifics (i.e., how I got to the hotel and airport, what eating options were available, etc.) are about 5 years old and I'm sure things have changed.

I wrote a trip report on my first visit to the Grand Californian almost 5 years ago. You can find it at http://home.att.net/~mao693/dlgcoct2002.htm. There are a few pictures that might give you some idea of why so many of us think very highly of the hotel. Do note that some of the specifics (i.e., how I got to the hotel and airport, what eating options were available, etc.) are about 5 years old and I'm sure things have changed.
Not much has changed from 5 years ago, although the carpeting in the lobby is new. It had to be replaced after the Christmas tree fire there. DTD has had a few changes regarding stores, and restaurants. We are hearing of an expansion to DTD lately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter