Disney has priced us out.

When homeschooling you can simply adjust the days. I have friends who begin school during the summer and work on weekends to allow them to travel when it is best for them.

We work through summer. Our recess is the pool :rotfl: Works for us :thumbsup2

I know! In Quebec were allowed as long as there is a replacement. I feel expecting lucky. We have fewer sick days than other provinces (5 compared to 15 I think? In BC) though.

Tu es chanceuse! I'm in Ontario - used to b 20 sick days lost 10 of them as well as a wage freeze last year :(

I agree with this 100%. I *can* afford a lot of things, but I can't *justify* them all. I would simply rather take 2 vacations than 1 expensive one. Or I would rather save the price difference for retirement or my child's college education. Both my husband and I have good jobs but we coupon clip, buy discount gift cards, and buy a lot of generic stuff. If you can get the same product for less, why not? I have a hard time with the folks arguing for DCL when they've not tried any other lines. We're always telling our 6-year old "you have to try new things before you decide you don't like them". :)

Sounds like your child has some pretty smart parents.....agree 100%...:goodvibes

I haven't read this whole thread yet but I just compared prices between DCL Fantasy and NCL Breakaway, both the last week of May (this year), three people in an interior stateroom, and both Eastern Caribbean. NCL Breakaway - $ 1,901.76 DCL Fantasy - $ 5,320.22 For a difference of - $ 3,418.48 NCL Breakaway is a brand new ship, has five multi-story waterslides, ropes course, rock climbing wall, 29 dining venues (9 are complimentary), fireworks, broadway shows, jazz and blues clubs, dueling piano bar Howl at the Moon, "The Waterfront", etc. Sorry, I've been on the Fantasy and while she's a nice ship, she ain't all that!

That's great but guess I wonder why threads like this are started, you don't see posts oh that Bentley priced me out (extreme)... Point is I'm sorry your return on vacation dollars doesn't go as far as you feel are worth it, but it is a matter of supply and demand... Disney only needs to fill four ships and judging by the lines I see every cruise they don't seem to be having issues....but back to my point are these threads just intended to justify and validate your decision to get confirmation that you are doing the right thing????

It almost feels like the more posts there are like these the more it seems that Disney is worth the premium, perhaps the unseen magic and little touches do make a difference other wise why would you care that prices went up you can go on one of the other lines with all those other features and probably have a great time so why would you care that you can't go on a Disney cruise anymore, only thing it shows is that you truly do desire cruising on dcl if it was only a bit cheaper.

Since the beginning Disney has always been able to command a premium price, and if you're not willing to spend it why does it matter that others are.... You are posting to a Disney cruise line travel forum for people looking for tips about sailing on Disney cruises clearly you had great experiences on dcl before or else it wouldn't matter how much it cost....

Just be happy there are other choices out there for you but the dramatic price differences tell me that there are a lot of people out there who feel like it is worth it.

I agree with you too sence you have so many posts :thumbsup2

I was trying to offer a different perspective. Everyone doesn't have the same things to consider in life. I know that if we didn't live in a military town I wouldn't understand why some things are done differently here. :goodvibes

Wow, lots of Canadian teachers on the boards. By husband teaches in BC and gets three personal days so he can sometimes use them to add a day to the school breaks, but only one teacher is allowed off at a time and he can't use two at once, so it's a pretty limited perk. Now that he's in administration he's even more limited.

He teaches in the district next to the one we live in and we just got the calendars for both next year and found out my daughter and my husband will have different spring breaks! :headache: I'm okay with her losing a week since it's only grade one, but it's annoying to say the least.

To top it off, I'm a nurse, so if I want vacation time in the summer I have to apply for it 8-10 months ahead of time. So since our only options are high season and planned in advance, we're completely priced out. We took our first Disney Cruise in January 2012 ( 6 night Mexican Riviera, outside cabin for $2500 2A 2K) and it's amazing how a Disney Cruise has gone from a bit of a splurge to a completely unobtainable luxury in just a few years.

And I love the "how do you know if you don't try it?" comment! I have no issue with anyone who says they've tried other lines and find that Disney is worth the price. Everyone places their own value on certain things and if a week on a Disney cruise is worth as much as two cruises on NCL or RCCL then I'm glad you have the option. But when people say that Disney is bigger, cleaner, has better food, has better service, is safer, has larger cabins, or really isn't any more expensive when you do all the math but has only ever cruised with Disney it doesn't make me angry or anything, it's a free world, say whatever you want, but it does make me shake my head a bit.

That's great but guess I wonder why threads like this are started, you don't see posts oh that Bentley priced me out (extreme)... Point is I'm sorry your return on vacation dollars doesn't go as far as you feel are worth it, but it is a matter of supply and demand... Disney only needs to fill four ships and judging by the lines I see every cruise they don't seem to be having issues....but back to my point are these threads just intended to justify and validate your decision to get confirmation that you are doing the right thing????

It almost feels like the more posts there are like these the more it seems that Disney is worth the premium, perhaps the unseen magic and little touches do make a difference other wise why would you care that prices went up you can go on one of the other lines with all those other features and probably have a great time so why would you care that you can't go on a Disney cruise anymore, only thing it shows is that you truly do desire cruising on dcl if it was only a bit cheaper.

Since the beginning Disney has always been able to command a premium price, and if you're not willing to spend it why does it matter that others are.... You are posting to a Disney cruise line travel forum for people looking for tips about sailing on Disney cruises clearly you had great experiences on dcl before or else it wouldn't matter how much it cost....

Just be happy there are other choices out there for you but the dramatic price differences tell me that there are a lot of people out there who feel like it is worth it.

Threads like this are started by people who have sailed on DCL and would prefer to sail on DCL. The problem is - DCL's price increases have made it difficult for many to be able to pay those prices, and for others to be willing to pay those prices. I'm in the latter group - except I have never been willing to pay what Disney charges for their peak-season cruises. I have also been happy to sail other cruise lines. It makes no difference to me if others want to spend big bucks for DCL's Europe or summer Caribbean cruises, or splurge on suites. However, as long as some people are willing to pay those prices, Disney will continue to push the limits of pricing - just as they do at their theme parks.

1. I didn't start this thread, I simply responded to it.

2. Until we got off topic into pulling kids out of school, most people on here agree DCL prices are getting too high.

3. I fully understand the concept of supply and demand. I also know that a VERY small percentage of the cruising public is aware that DISboards and Cruise Critic exist so it really doesn't matter what we say here...what matters is the bottom line.

4. I truly DON'T care to be cruising on DCL, regardless of price. I prefer Celebrity. DH, however, prefers DCL so I like to keep track of what's going on.

5. Value is subjective. I don't think DCL is a bad value if you like Disney and won't have much fun vacationing non-Disney. I couldn't care less what others spend on vacation; it's their money and their perceived value.

6. I am extremely happy there are other choices out there with a dramatic price difference. Every time I show DH the difference...I get to cruise MY preference!

I think threads like this are started for several reasons:

1) In hopes DCL will read and take notes
2) To see if other people in the 'community' are on the same page, or on the 'same boat.'
3) To find options

And out of frustration that the experience they once had can't be afforded to continue.

I haven't read this whole thread yet but I just compared prices between DCL Fantasy and NCL Breakaway, both the last week of May (this year), three people in an interior stateroom, and both Eastern Caribbean.

NCL Breakaway - $ 1,901.76

DCL Fantasy - $ 5,320.22

For a difference of - $ 3,418.48

NCL Breakaway is a brand new ship, has five multi-story waterslides, ropes course, rock climbing wall, 29 dining venues (9 are complimentary), fireworks, broadway shows, jazz and blues clubs, dueling piano bar Howl at the Moon, "The Waterfront", etc.

Sorry, I've been on the Fantasy and while she's a nice ship, she ain't all that!

I'd jump on it - at least put a deposit down. I know the RCCL deal ends Monday, is it the same with NCL??

We have been told by shoreside Cast Members that Disney Cruise Lines does monitor DISboards, so they may or may not be paying attention. Only the person doing the monitoring (or non-monitoring) knows for sure.

For months I had been anxiously awaiting the release of the 2015 cruises to Alaska for my son's graduation trip. RCCI released theirs in February, but I was holding out for Disney.

However, on Wednesday when I was finally able to get a look at the prices, I promptly moved over the the RCCI website and officially booked our trip on the Jewel of the Seas instead.

A balcony room for 2 in June 2015 to Alaska was $2000 less AND a better itinerary.

For the past year, I have been charging ALL of our expenses to my Disney Visa and paying it off each month in order to earn as many points as possible to be used on our cruise, but with these prices, it just isn't worth it. Instead I'll use my points for airfare to get to our ROYAL CARIBBEAN cruise.

I'm a US teacher and my only option is high season. I had a dummy cruise booked waiting for summer rates. I expected a price jump but a 3k price jump!! For my 40th I was willing to shell out extra $ for a DC but when I got the quote I truly was shocked. I am able to use my DVC points for spring break at the Parks and take Western Caribbean cruise on Carnival or RCCL over the summer for the same cost...I get Disney does it right I have never done a cruise but I value Disney since I own DVC. I just don't see us ever spending that kind of $ for their cruise.

What deal does RCI have going on? Was planning to book the Allure for May....

I though it was "3rd and 4th person sail free" until the end of March. I may be mistaken about the end date. I also though NCL had the same deal. We were able to get 4 adults and 1 child in a 2-bedroom suite on RCCL and we're only paying for 2 adults. That's why we "jumped ship" from our Magic cruise.

Check out the Royal site. They have a giant banner and you can see which cruises still have the deal available. I think they have it as "kids sail free", but it's really anyone over 2 people in a room.

Well I actually looked at the newest and coming soon NCL ships. Gasp! I mean seriously I love DCL so much that I want to only sail on their ships. However, I'd like to do some of these exotic itineraries at some point and have to go a less expensive route. I'm going to try a US port to go out of first. Europe is still a ways off but this will open up options when my son is old enough to go and enjoy the ports.

I was looking for a local departure and found the Princess Cruise Line Transatlantic 2015. I had already checked out the DCL 2015 TA. Look at the difference!

Cheapest inside cabins
2015 sail dates Transatlantic
$1509 pp Princess 17n
$3293 pp Disney 15 n

More than twice as high! We only book DCL when we can find comparable , or only slightly higher, rates. DCL prices most of us out!

I booked a cat 10 for the dcl transatlantic and it was about $1875 pp for the 15 night 2015 transatlantic. I am glad I booked it on day 1!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter