Disney in a thunderstorm?

Yumi696

Mouseketeer
So our trip starts today and it seems that it will be raining/thundering during our entire trip. What happens during bad weather? Do parades and night shows get cancelled? We're probably going to power through the storm as much as we are able to, but we're wondering how our itinerary will change. Will they shut down rides?

Sorry for the rambly post; we've just never been to Disney during severe weather.

Thunderstorms=awesome park days! Outside rides will close but usually open back up quickly. When it is storming head to inside attractions. Storms also tend to clear out a lot of people from the parks so when those outside rides open back up you are golden.
I never check the weather for a Summer Disney trip because it's going to storm usually everyday but the magic remains!

Try to stick it out and enjoy it. Many will leave the parks and provide the people who stay much shorter lines when the weather clears up. As others have said, it rains daily in Florida in the summer. We put up the umbrellas and hit the shops or grab a bite to eat or head in the direction of our next FP+ and just wait it out. Rarely is it more than an hour.

A few years ago, I watched Fourth of July fireworks at MK on the third in pouring rain then at Epcot on the fourth in pouring rain. The shows were never canceled though I think they shortened the Epcot show (it ended with "Battle Hymn of the Republic" rather than the National Anthem). You have the right attitude by powering through. Thunderstorms in Florida are typically short.

Are you bringing your own ponchos? It's a good idea so you don't have to pay inflated Disney prices. An umbrella won't do the trick, and spring for more than the dollar ponchos (too short).

I think we're unlucky because we usually visit in the summer and it seems that the 'brief' PM thunderstorms last for a few hours when we're in the parks. We haven't seen Fantasmic! in a long time because it always seems to be cancelled due to weather when we reserve the Fantasmic! Dinner package. I hope I'm not jinxing the OP because we're headed to WDW on thursday for a 10 day stay and will be (hopefully) enjoying Fantasmic! on friday and an Illuminations Cruise on saturday. Nevertheless, agree with others that rain shouldn't 'dampen' your enjoyment of the parks, and we've learned that there's something quite comforting about knowing exactly what the weather will be like every day.

A year ago, in early June, we were in the FP+ area, waiting for the Festival of Fantasy parade. About 8 mins before it was supposed to start, they made an announcement that due to 'weather' coming in, the parade was being cancelled for that afternoon. Sure enough, about 20 mins later, it rained. So, they can cancel something right up until it's supposed to start!!!
We've been to WDW in really severe thunderstorms....actually truly incredible to watch if you're under cover!!! The outside attractions will shut down from the time they get an inkling of lightening...and keep it down until the threat is passed. The rain does tend to thin out the crowds though....especially if it's after 4ish.....seemed like people just said 'what the heck, the day is almost done anyway' and left.

It thins the herd! So many people will leave and the rain will cool everything down. If it is the typical Florida thunderstorm, powering through is smart.

We got some rain on our last trip. Surprised to see AK safari still running during a thunderstorm. We rode it in the rain after the lightning passed, and the animals were all very active. Rained another day, all morning at MK. Really thinned out the crowd, in the afternoon we were able to get lots of additional FP at kiosks with almost no wait. Also surprised to see 7DMT running in steady rain, CM said they only shut it down for lightning.

It POURED several times our last trip (like the rain coming in sideways in torrents) and I thought that was pretty miserable. Nothing you can do to keep dry so you are walking around in a poncho and are still soaked. Folks are right that the parks tend to be a lot emptier when that happens but I didn't find it to be much of an advantage -- rather be at a more crowded park and dry than walking around drenched at an empty park. We watched Wishes one night in the rain - had a good seat for that right in front of the castle because a lot of people left when the rain started in.

Word of advice...if you go at this time of year, be sure to have waterproof footwear. No socks!!! And ponchos. I like to wear shorts/tops that are quick drying. They're more expensive to buy but man, they sure are better in stormy weather!!!! If you do wear sneakers and they get soaked, stuff them with newspaper that night...that will help them dry out more quickly. If you plan ahead, you'll be able to just keep on truckin', while everyone else leaves the park.

While they typically get cancelled, we had a CM tell us last week that "the fireworks are already loaded, so they have to fire them tonight" in spite of the threat of a nighttime thunderstorm. Not sure how true that is, but it does make sense.

I love Disney right after the rain! The parks are so empty. However if it is really storming I do tend to hunker down in place and hopefully that place is somewhere like Epcot where you can spend so much time in the pavillions like the Land, the Seas or Imagination. Just check the forecast for when the the rain is supposed to be that day and tweak your schedule - maybe you can move lunch to when it will be raining or dinner. Lots of extra clothes and shoes are good to have! I like @goofy4tink 's advice - waterproof and quick drying!

We leave on Thursday for our trip & my plan is to stick it out - I have 33 ponchos (the $1 ones) so basically 1&a spare for each day, 4 pairs of shoes for each in case one gets wet, quick dry clothes, & a positive attitude cause we're finally going back!!!!

We go every August and it is almost a guarantee to have an afternoon thunderstorm each day. We just bring ponchos and wear Tevas so our feet dry quickly. Like others have said it clears out the parks and cools things off.
Edited to add that outside rides will close if it is lightning and thundering but will reopen when the storm passes.

We just returned from 9 days in Orlando. We didn't get any rain in the first five days but it rained each of the last 4. Petty much all rides continued to operate with the exception of Test Track. Illuminations was delayed for 40 minutes and Fantasmic for about 15 minutes. Like everyone else said, we loved it when it would start raining. The heat broke and it made touring bearable.

Pshaw, that's wonderful Florida Snow! Seriously power through it and enjoy the crowd levels as they thin. The only thing to really concern about is lightning which is when they will cancel parades and shut down outside rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter