Disney In Talks to Acquire Majority of 21st Century Fox

Reading some articles online and it seems getting rights back to Marvel IP, oiginal Star Wars etc is a major push for them wanting this deal.

Shows like the simpsons though I just don't know what Disney will do with it make it exclusive to their streaming site, which would again help drive traffic or sell he rights to Comcast for example

Something that popular/profitable might be a worthwhile trade chip in getting Marvel rights back under one roof, both movie and theme park.

That's why I think they should do. I think the theme park rights for Disney may be worth more to them. Personally I think Universal would agree and love to solely own The Simpsons

All I really want to know is, when are one of these parks going to open a "Hunger Games" land?:D

The answer to that question is two months ago! If you're hoping for Disney or Universal though, that's probably not going to happen - Hunger Games is owned by Lionsgate which is a completely different movie house not owned by Disney, Fox, or Comcast.

Holy cow. $60 billion

Way back in the beginning of this thread somewhere I put that content was going to get very expensive. With all the streaming planned services, you have to have something to show. This is why I don't think all the individual services will survive. Netflix had the right model to start, but all the content providers think they should get a bigger piece. But very few of them alone can provide enough. So they will be buying each other for content to get bigger. And that will make it very, very expensive. Too expensive to be worth the low monthly cost that makes it feasible.

Yet Disney buying up Fox and adding it to their portfolio would probably be enough now for people to move to Disneys streaming service.

Will be another blow for Netflix and other streaming services as I wonder if Disney will put all of the Fox content from those services.

With Disney doing its own streaming service, I wonder what their overall need for Hulu would be other than just keeping the existing subscriber base in their pocket.

Also a lot of Fox produced movies tend to be R rated or directed for adults, so I wonder what they are going to do there

I have to imagine that if they acquire another third of Hulu as a result of this transaction, it would make more sense to use that platform than develop something else from the ground up. Depends on how far along the other project is.

I'd imagine that Disney Now and Disney life apps will be laid to rest and they go down to just the two streaming services

Way back in the beginning of this thread somewhere I put that content was going to get very expensive. With all the streaming planned services, you have to have something to show. This is why I don't think all the individual services will survive. Netflix had the right model to start, but all the content providers think they should get a bigger piece. But very few of them alone can provide enough. So they will be buying each other for content to get bigger. And that will make it very, very expensive. Too expensive to be worth the low monthly cost that makes it feasible.

it will be interesting to see as if the few that survive get bigger and stronger - but also more exclusive / less content available on multiple platforms - do we see less cord cutting as it is one thing to get a lot of what you want for $10/month or whatever, another to cut the cord and be paying $50/month

Yet Disney buying up Fox and adding it to their portfolio would probably be enough now for people to move to Disneys streaming service.

Will be another blow for Netflix and other streaming services as I wonder if Disney will put all of the Fox content from those services.

With Disney doing its own streaming service, I wonder what their overall need for Hulu would be other than just keeping the existing subscriber base in their pocket.

Also a lot of Fox produced movies tend to be R rated or directed for adults, so I wonder what they are going to do there

I feel like Hulu's business model is a little bit different than the classic streaming service, in that it offers live TV and uploads new episodes just hours after they air, as opposed to Netflix where shows appear months after the season ends. Some networks have services where episodes are available the day after airing, but they're full of ads and only last a few weeks. It's possibly Disney will do this with ABC, Disney, Freeform, and now Fox on their new service, but if they're looking to compete with Netflix I think they'll probably just do all of their movies, older shows, and seasons once they're complete.

As for R rated movies, I really don't think Disney's ownership will change that for Fox. Disney has put out more mature, adult-targeted movies under different names since "Splash" in the 80s. Pretty Woman is rated R, and that was produced by Touchstone Pictures and distributed by Buena Vista Pictures - both companies being pseudonyms for Disney.

I could easily see my family moving from Netflix to a Disney/Fox streaming service...the catch is they need to keep the price comparable to whatever the Netflix base plan is.

I could easily see my family moving from Netflix to a Disney/Fox streaming service...the catch is they need to keep the price comparable to whatever the Netflix base plan is.

Iger's comment when they announced they were launching a streaming service is that it would be cheaper than Netflix to start ... now, this was before Fox, etc. but seems they are cognizant of price (at least at launch) for this

The answer to that question is two months ago! If you're hoping for Disney or Universal though, that's probably not going to happen - Hunger Games is owned by Lionsgate which is a completely different movie house not owned by Disney, Fox, or Comcast.
Yes, I know Hunger Games is owned by Lionsgate...a girl can dream though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter