Disney in your Classroom

We are heading over to Florida in 2015 and as a Physics teacher I plan on doing lots of Disney themed calculation sheets. It would definitely make Potential and Kinetic energy change during rides more real if it is filmed first person by their teacher!

I introduced a new unit teaching theme to my fourth graders using Disney. We talked about Disney movies and watched Pixar Shorts before moving onto picture books and then chapter books. I also cut out these pictures and cut the theme separately and had the kids match as an independent activity later in the unit.
http://9gag.com/gag/4394507

This blog also has some great ideas oh using Pixar Shorts to teach reading strategies! http://technologyuptospeed.blogspot.com/2013/08/movie-shorts-and-reading-strategies.html

One more- If you can still find them, get pairs of those Mickey head paint samples from Home Depot. Laminate them and put them in a bag to make pairing students easy.

Thank you for the links!! What a cool idea!

So glad this thread has found new life. I have some new Disney in my room this year, I'll get some pictures up soon.

Best wishes to you all with a new school year on the horizon! (My new batch of 3rd graders arrive a week from tomorrow!!):goodvibes

Eureka has a new line of Disney classroom decorations. I went a little crazy at the teacher supply store - I think I bought everything!
One unit I do that I love is "Finding Science in Finding Nemo." The students research the coral reef and the creatures that appear in Finding Nemo. The animal adaptations are amazingly accurate in the movie. They create a presentation to the class on the animal they researched and its adaptations, and then we watch the movie and observe how the animals in the movie show the real life adaptations. They love it!

Thanks for sharing - I just ordered new posters and banners for my room from Eureka.:cool1:

Eureka has a new line of Disney classroom decorations. I went a little crazy at the teacher supply store - I think I bought everything!
One unit I do that I love is "Finding Science in Finding Nemo." The students research the coral reef and the creatures that appear in Finding Nemo. The animal adaptations are amazingly accurate in the movie. They create a presentation to the class on the animal they researched and its adaptations, and then we watch the movie and observe how the animals in the movie show the real life adaptations. They love it!

Thanks so much for posting this! I'd never heard of Eureka and placed a large order Sunday night and it came today! Beautiful stuff! Can't wait to laminate and put it up!

I teach Physical Science and was thinking of trying this with the students....I have a new white board so I wanted to incorporate something like this http://www.dep-store.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=77E37VL00

I tried the demo...it is such fun!!! I think it would be a great teamwork kinda thing and something they can log into at home or school.

This looks like an awesome idea! I did something similar for an enrichment class I taught a few years back. It was a fun time!

Thanks for sharing - I just ordered new posters and banners for my room from Eureka.:cool1:

Thanks so much for posting this! I'd never heard of Eureka and placed a large order Sunday night and it came today! Beautiful stuff! Can't wait to laminate and put it up!

I have never heard of Eureka either! I guess I need to put an order in! Loving the posters!!!! :thumbsup2

I a restraining myself from ordering more - the posters do not have a little kid look and will work in my 3-6th grade gifted intervention room.

Hi All,
What a fun thread! I teach 5th grade and don't have any Disney in my room, but when I used to teach a gifted program (before my district cut it :sad1:) I had done a very similar Disney vacation planning project.

Awhile back, before I had my own classroom I worked as an assistant in a preschool. The teacher I worked with was a huge fan of Winnie The Pooh, so I made her a Winnie the Pooh themed classroom. Everything below is made from scratch. I either made out of construction paper or drew and then painted. I apologize for the various sizes of the pictures. I'm not sure why that happened. :confused3

Front door featured Winnie the Pooh - he had various outfits that could be changed for the seasons. Here he is in his summer attire.
poohswimwear_zps2c8f68b3.jpg

Here is his Winter outfit:
art010.jpg

Spring... the rain drops are for the kids' names to go on
art013.jpg

Fall....
art014-1.jpg

The job board:
jobgarden_zpse01bb3e6.jpg

Eventually the kids' names were written on the carrots.
jobboard003.jpg

On the weather board was piglet, and his clothing was changed for the weather:
Cold...
art033.jpg

Raining...
art031.jpg

Sunny...
art030.jpg

Eeyore Birthday board. Eventually, I made party hats for each month that went on this board, and the kids names were written on the corresponding hat.

art034.jpg

The hallway had a Tigger "where are we?" poster but I can't find a picture of that, unfortunately.

Then I got a job as a TA, and made these for the 4th grade teacher I was working with. I don't have a picture of it in the classroom, but this was the job board.

plutojobboard001-1.jpg

Sorry how blurry this is.
plutojobboard002.jpg

Just found this thread...can't believe I missed it all these years on the Disboards.
I teach 5th grade and last fall (2014) I decided to redo my classroom disney-mainly red, black and white.
I keep trying to upload pictures from my phone camera but it just keeps saying they are too big.
I used ribbon from Joanne's and Michaels and made ribbon curtains.
I bought classic Disney burlap from Joanne's for the background of my bulletin boards and then used red burlap ribbon for the border.
I used washi tape to create letter that say MICKEY and POOH for the front of my cabinets.
I used washi tape to create indoor recess bins as well as to decorate furniture in my classroom.
I bought black bookshelves and put fabric on the inside backing that was black and white polka dotted to make them look like disney.
So many other things...I wish I could upload pictures to show you.

What a fun thread! I am a 6th grade teacher in California, and even 6th graders appreciate and love the Disney theming throughout the room. Did you all know that JOanne's sells Disney classroom decorations? There are borders, calendars, you name it!

Here are a few ideas:

On the first day of school I ask the kids to look for Hidden Mickeys around the room. It's a great way to discuss the expectations or reasoning for the different areas. For example, a hidden Mickey on the schedule, or back cabinet.

I also pass out "Magical Manners" or tickets with Tinkerbelle on them. The kids can use those to purchase things at our monthly auction.

I have stuffed animals everywhere, use Disney font and a few other subtle things that the kids really love.

Just found this thread...can't believe I missed it all these years on the Disboards.
I teach 5th grade and last fall (2014) I decided to redo my classroom disney-mainly red, black and white.
I keep trying to upload pictures from my phone camera but it just keeps saying they are too big.
I used ribbon from Joanne's and Michaels and made ribbon curtains.
I bought classic Disney burlap from Joanne's for the background of my bulletin boards and then used red burlap ribbon for the border.
I used washi tape to create letter that say MICKEY and POOH for the front of my cabinets.
I used washi tape to create indoor recess bins as well as to decorate furniture in my classroom.
I bought black bookshelves and put fabric on the inside backing that was black and white polka dotted to make them look like disney.
So many other things...I wish I could upload pictures to show you.

I'd so love to see pictures!!! I'm not sure why it is saying that they are too large. Have you asked over at the tech support forum? Someone there can help for sure!

Brancaneve, I had no idea about Jo-Anne's. I know that Michaels tends to have some stuff too! I'd love to see pics of your classroom too!

What fun! I'm so glad that this thread has been revived.

I love the Eureka posters and am so glad they have a Wreck it Ralph poster. I love Wreck it Ralph and I'm totally going to put this up in my room! :D

My students sit in groups of four. I named each table a different country. I was going to use the WS countries exclusively, but wanted a bit more diversity. I still included some though. I live near DLR, so most of my students know nothing about Epcot, but whenever I walk by the Morocco, Italy, or Japan group, a smile a little to myself. :goodvibes

My students sit in groups of four. I named each table a different country. I was going to use the WS countries exclusively, but wanted a bit more diversity. I still included some though. I live near DLR, so most of my students know nothing about Epcot, but whenever I walk by the Morocco, Italy, or Japan group, a smile a little to myself. :goodvibes

Cute idea!!!!

Here are a couple things from my classroom that make me love to come to school every day!
IMG_0995.JPG

This is above my door leading out of my classroom. I made the ribbon curtain.

IMG_0988.JPG

This is the outside of my door looking in.

IMG_0997.JPG
This is another ribbon curtain along with my classic Pooh. I also have classic Tigger and Eeyore on other walls as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter