• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney is hurting for cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

DIS Veteran
As posted from WDWpro at WDWMAGIC.

Let me preface this post by saying I know much more than I'm going to say in this thread. That's just the way it's going to have to be in order to protect sources, prevent doxing, and keep jobs safe. Additionally, it lets those sharing info with me know that if something needs to be off the record, it will stay if the record.

The Disney company is currently hurting for cash, and not by a little. The absolute destruction of the global film industry means that Disney is losing billions and billions of usual expected revenues with no certain end in sight. Mulan has been pushed to the end of August, but even that still seems optimistic, and likely box office revenues may by as low as 20% of what it could have been. A burgeoning cold war with China likewise makes promoting the film an uncertain formula. The MCU is currently benched, live action Star Wars is on pause, Indiana Jones 5 is more unlikely daily, and there's simply no good path forward outside of the animation studios. Furthering the dearth of income, Disneyland was prepped to reopen at great expense, only to be indefinitely postponed yet again. The money to reopen Walt Disney World has been immense, but with increasing COVID infections in Florida, it seems more and more likely that increasing capacity will be a slow process, which means revenues for WDW will be lower than projected when the rush was approved to get the parks open fast. Adding to this, capex projects needing completing at WDW are substantial, more than ever in the past decade. Conflict has broken out inside Disney's top levels with some pushing for continued spending in new projects, such as Splash Mountain reskinning, while others are extremely bearish with a view that Disney should hold every possible dollar.

It is from within this paradigm that Disney is now struggling with public messaging not matching internal capabilities. For example, Splash Mountain changes were announced with little design ready to implement, based off of a blue sky design that had a concept art package quickly produced for social media advertising. Just one problem: the actuaries were not approached, nor were budgets forecast for the changes. In fact, you might say a rogue committee approved the decision without determining the cost or the feasibility... and then the company realizes the issue after public announcement. So what to do? As of now, the plan is to "quickly" change the DLR version, where it is more likely to be received positively, then use Epcot capex funds that would have gone to Mary Poppins and JII to change the superior WDW version starting in 2022 or 2023. However, hopes that Disney can plus the attraction are difficult to materialize with Imagineering already completely flummoxed how they can possibly reskin many dozens of animatronics in a crown jewel attraction. One imagineer has compared the task to retheming Pirates of the Caribbean to a Jungle Book ride. Yet more attractions are likely to be modified, budgets be damned. This has created friction even all the way to the Bobs with Iger doing everything he can to save his legacy, while Chapek tries not to be the fall guy while looking at a company in dire financial straits. Whereas Chapek wanted to spend the capital necessary to retrofit MK for a pandemic and then slowly open other parks as demand and money permitted, Iger overruled the plan and pushed for a full reopening to prevent Universal from getting the upper hand.

Now the company has greater inner turmoil than at any point in the recent past. Spending is continuing in spite of depression-like revenues projected for the remainder of the year... and often on new projects of a social nature (changes are coming to Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Pirates of the Carribean, Carousel of Progress, etc). This is coming from one or two factions in the company who share overlap. Other factions are scared the company is stretched thin and needs to hold spending as much as possible. Fear also exists that if relations with China deteriorate, the company could lose both Shanghai and Hong Kong. Not since WWII has uncertainty been so high. The cost of maintaining parks during a pandemic are significantly higher, yet raising ticket prices is nearly impossible.

Going forward, what does this mean?

1. Epcot changes are likely to be MUCH less than originally planned.
2. Layoffs are coming.
3. Announced additions are on very long timelines.
4. Disney World having to close again would be devastating.
5. OLC and Disney relations are strained; expect that to manifest in visible ways.
6. Every penny counts, and cost cutting measures can be expected within 12 months.
7?. Is Chapek the fall guy? Many are speculating Iger plans to use him as the scapegoat.
8. 50th celebration is essentially canceled down to only things that cost little... no new floats, no big refurbs.
[/QUOTE]

Not surprised at all. Disney right now could potentially charge more at Disney world without offering anything more. Once fireworks and shows start up again I can really see them doing that to get money flowing. The cash cows will always show up.

I wonder if Bob Iger will try to replace all this IT workers again with H-1B visa foreign workers. After they train their replacements, of course.

And that $15 an hour Iger saddled his successor with is going to hurt more CMs than it will help. Easy to hand out the candy when you know that you will be leaving someone else holding the bag and the bill.

Meanwhile, he pulled down $65 million a year. Disney needs leadership that loves Disney more than their own bank account.

Last edited:

So what Im reading is....CEO and higher ups are worried because it will cost money and they will lose face with the stock market if Disney doesnt pump the numbers sooner rather than later.

The new WDC has been about short term gains for over a decade now. If continuious stock market growth isnt seen, then there is a problem.

They need to get back to the days of long term investment in the product and customer rather than focusing solely on the next few quarters.

Not surprising they are hurting for cash, Disney has been closed for months and we know it's not just the parks. No sports, can't film, promote movies, etc. etc.

They can make announcements on the changes to the rides (that offend people) - but why the rush? Can't change them overnight and add no one is working.....I think Disney/the whole corporation will survive. Raise prices being one of them and cut corners everywhere else. :(

The new WDC has been about short term gains for over a decade now. If continuious stock market growth isnt seen, then there is a problem.

This isn't just Disney, but true for almost all publicly traded companies. It's also the reason why the stock market is no longer a true measure of our economy or our economic reality.

Sadly I don't see any of these companies ever turning back to a long term focus as there's no incentive for them to do so

Not surprising they are hurting for cash, Disney has been closed for months and we know it's not just the parks. No sports, can't film, promote movies, etc. etc.

They can make announcements on the changes to the rides (that offend people) - but why the rush? Can't change them overnight and add no one is working.....I think Disney/the whole corporation will survive. Raise prices being one of them and cut corners everywhere else. :(
I have no doubt they will survive. I expect a lot of the plans they had for attractions at the different parks will be scrapped now. What is going to hurt them to is that it will probably be awhile til they see the crowds they are used to. There is a reason they opened ticket sales and resort stays already.

This isn't just Disney, but true for almost all publicly traded companies. It's also the reason why the stock market is no longer a true measure of our economy or our economic reality.

Sadly I don't see any of these companies ever turning back to a long term focus as there's no incentive for them to do so

It's that way for a reason. It's what stockholders expect. And when I say stockholders, I mean almost most of America.

It's that way for a reason. It's what stockholders expect. And when I say stockholders, I mean almost most of America.

Yep ... I have no solution to the issue as like many I'm part of the system ... my retirement is tied up in the markets like everyone else. It's kind of a death spiral as for most the only viable investment option is to throw your money into the markets which fuels the short term gain stampede, and wheel keeps grinding as our future relies on those returns

Yep ... I have no solution to the issue as like many I'm part of the system ... my retirement is tied up in the markets like everyone else. It's kind of a death spiral as for most the only viable investment option is to throw your money into the markets which fuels the short term gain stampede, and wheel keeps grinding as our future relies on those returns

Same here. No solution here either. You really have no choice. Have a bad feeling that it's going to end ugly one day for everybody involved.

It does not take a genius to figure Disney is hurting for money. My biggest beef is anyone who says Disney has not invested in the Park. Lets just talk WDW. Starting with the Magic Band tehnology which cost over 2 Billion, than there was the Magic Kingdom Fantasy land makeover another half a billion, followed by Avator at 1 billion, Toy story land at half a billion, Star Wars at over 1 billion. And what about the cost of the total makeover of Disney Springs? Not even mentioning the ongoing Tron, Guardians of Galaxy rides or the total make over going on at EPCOT. These are just the ones off the top of my head, I am sure if I did some research I would come up with more. Please no more bogus claims that Disney does not invest in the Parks.

1. Epcot changes are likely to be MUCH less than originally planned.
2. Layoffs are coming.
3. Announced additions are on very long timelines.
4. Disney World having to close again would be devastating.
5. OLC and Disney relations are strained; expect that to manifest in visible ways.
6. Every penny counts, and cost cutting measures can be expected within 12 months.
7?. Is Chapek the fall guy? Many are speculating Iger plans to use him as the scapegoat.
8. 50th celebration is essentially canceled down to only things that cost little... no new floats, no big refurbs.

The tourist industry as a whole will take a while to recover from 4 months of ZERO business -- and potentially 6+ more months of severely REDUCED business. It's a shame since all it seems the lockdown did was wreck the economy and just delay the inevitable rise in spikes. Disney could have just been closed for the originally planned 2-3 weeks, gotten ready to do this social distancing and mask thing and opened in April ...

1) Not shocking - if the parks are going to have severe less attendance for at least a year (or more) . .there is no reason to "attract" people to Epcot for a while.

2) Also expected -- if several of the hotels are going to be closed for a while, that alone means a lot of cast members that maybe have been repurposed for now for cleaning aren't going to last long once the extra cleaning is seen as not needed as much.

3) You mean like Tron and Ratatouille?

4) And for that reason it is not going to close again. Nothing should at this point -- the virus is here .. it's inevitable. Even closing down for 3 months didn't "stop" it .. so why close down again.

5) No comment

6) I think we are already seeing cost cutting measures .. which for now .. can be "in the name of safety" .. like no college program, no luggage delivery, announcement of no free magic bands soon .. etc. etc. Some rides may go "seasonal".

7) Not sure anyone can be a fall guy -- this situation is no one's fault

8) I can't see them putting money in the celebration .. they may not need to .. people will be itching for WDW without anything "special" since a lot of people will have not gon for a year or two because of the virus ... but just use it as an advertising gimmick to get people to show up.

Personally I feel that some of the nice Disney customer service will be lost as disney cuts staff .. which makes "magical moments" less likely to happen. Plus .. I am sure some staff will just be grumpier because of having to wear a mask all day, working in a stressful environment (where they may be afraid for their health) or having to work harder because staff has been cut.

Reduced staff means a lot more "self-service" options --- we were already seeing it with self check-in and mobile ordering. I'll be sad if I go into a Disney hotel lobby and there is like only one person at the check-in desk .. no special activities at resorts .. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter