Disney is really pushing phone usage!

But you said you were with your daughter who also had a phone because you used her charger. You could have ordered from Amazon on her phone.
We werent together until the evening. She is 17 and went off with her friend all day. On day 1 I really needed my own. When we got back to the room at night (10pm-ish) I charged my dead phone, then kept MDE off the remainder of the trip. I needed it to get updates on our room being ready on Day 1 and wasnt sure what I needed on the phone for direct to room, so I had MDE on all day. She was in the MK. I volunteered to stay behind and wait for room/luggage and to be honest...just chill for a day! It was day 5 for us in FL. I was tired :) Didnt help when I ran around resorts/Main St USA looking for a charger for hours.

These kinds of posts always kinda amaze me. I'm in my late 40's....my parents are in their early 70's. Maybe it's my occupation in IT that gives me a proclivity to tech and using a smartphone but it's almost like an essential part of my life. Same goes for my wife. Same really goes for most of our family and friends. My parents (especially my Dad) are pretty savvy with their phones as well. I know plenty of my parents friends who are even more savvy. Y'all do know that you can change the text size on your screen so it's easier to read? (for all the reading glasses comments)

Oh - I have zero issues with tech. Your disconnect is assuming that people who want a break from staring at devices must mean they're tech-unsavvy. Presbyopia is a royal pain in S$#@^% AND the #1 vision problem among those over 40. If you don't have it or are just in beginning stages, you can't possibly understand - because I sure didn't years ago when I could easily see anything I wanted to in a glance.

Unfortunately many platforms and apps aren't mobile-first optimized or designed to play well with enlarged font sizes, so simply bumping up font size creates other user aggravations and problems.

Progressive glasses can help those of us with presbyopia (3 fields of vision - near, intermediate and far) but only if you're reading a quick word or two...most people find they have to physically remove their glasses and dig out a diff pair from purse or bag if they're going to spend any length of time reading something on a cell screen. Or tote one pair around their neck and another on their eyes - fun. Not to mention the headaches one experiences after doing this a while.

First world problems, for sure, but the aggravation adds up. I need a break from devices: I put them away when I'm enjoying life: on the beach, in theme parks, in restaurants, movie theatres, etc.

I get that many people such as yourself can't understand why anyone would mind being tied to a device most of their vacationing hours. In turn, I truly don't understand how you guys can stand it, (and btw, "you guys " includes my DH, who will certainly have his cell surgically attached one day soon.) :rotfl:

Guess we have to agree to disagree! :-)

Last edited:
I love that it is pushing towards phone usage.

I'm a Gen X'er so I kind of fall into the middle ground about tech in general. My friends/peers are about half and half on who does or does not use phones/apps/interwebs to run their lives.

I much prefer technology and as I am on the phone a lot for work and social interactions, it just feels like second nature to use it.

think it was a trip to Chicago back in 2013 when I first used my phone for walking navigation, tickets, museum entry, airline checkin, not to mention navigating the convention I was at. I never looked back and I do a ton on my phone no matter where I vacation and it is my number one planning tool.

Apple is actually rumored to be going portless. They may be forced to go usb-c in Europe for a short period before going strictly wireless charging.

But even then it sounds like many keep their phones for many generations and there would still be a long period of people using micro usb, lightning, and usb c.

My iphone 12 is USB C and it has the capability to charge wirelessly (still needs a cord on most pads though). My ipad, is lightning. My watch, magnetic cord. My external batteries USB C. My personal fan USB C. I bring a lot of different chargers and cords.

It's the one big annoyance of devices and travel (heck even between home and office travel).

I would really like it to be standardized for all devices.

While WDW may covet the young crowd...it's the parents and grandparents by far who are funding these trips. Annoy them enough and it'll impact the bottom line.

Many Gen Xers are grandparents now, and the oldest Millennials are actually 40. I say this with understanding and respect (I have 75 and 80 year old parents who also refuse to adapt to smartphones), but while I'm sure there are many families who are lucky to have septuagenarian and octogenarian parents/grandparents/greats still paying for big family trips, the bulk of the marketing for the parks is geared toward the age 30-54 family crowd, who are footing their own bills.

My iphone 12 is USB C
Your iPhone 12 has a lightning port. There have been NO iPhones produced that have a USB C port.

It did come with a USB-C to lightning cable. You are under no obligation to use it and could use a USB-A to lightning cable as well if wanting to connect the phone to a charging block or battery bank that only has USB-A output.

Many Gen Xers are grandparents now, and the oldest Millennials are actually 40. I say this with understanding and respect (I have 75 and 80 year old parents who also refuse to adapt to smartphones), but while I'm sure there are many families who are lucky to have septuagenarian and octogenarian parents/grandparents/greats still paying for big family trips, the bulk of the marketing for the parks is geared toward the age 30-54 family crowd, who are footing their own bills.

I am currently 54 and I am a heavy technology user. Even my folks (mom 78, Stepdad 71) are savvy enough to use their smart phones for basic stuff (I do all the rest for them LOL).

I also work in libraries where we have to service both demographics. We are not just books anymore.

Phone usage for everyday life is way more common then people think and it is a trend across the board. It is honestly easier in almost every business/gov/social service/entertainment application to access service by phone over in person or even on standard desktop devices.

I really think non smart phone users are in the sunset. I'm not saying that's bad or good, I'm just saying that's the trend we are seeing.

Your iPhone 12 has a lightning port. There have been NO iPhones produced that have a USB C port.

It did come with a USB-C to lightning cable. You are under no obligation to use it and could use a USB-A to lightning cable as well if wanting to connect the phone to a charging block or battery bank that only has USB-A output.

Sorry I should have been clearer. It is a lightning port but not USB connection. I would like all devices to have one port/one charging connection.

That's what I get for not responding on the fly and not proof reading. LOL

[snip]
And where do people charge their phones? I used a lounge to change my phone during Food and Wine and spending quite a bit of time there waiting for my phone to change. I may pick up a few of the portable battery packs but then that is one more thing you have to carry around.

On a park day where you have to routinely use MDE, you carry an extra battery, or you put it in something like a Mophie case. Stopping 3X in a typical day to spend 30 minutes glued to a wall whilst a phone charges is not really a workable solution to combat this degree of battery drain.

As to cable type, after one too many trips with members of my family always expecting ME to come up with the proper cable that they needed at that moment, I bought 2 of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Charging-C...ble+charger&qid=1629753570&s=wireless&sr=1-28. I used a thick rubber band to attach a biner clip to them and put them on the zippers of the bags we take into the parks. No more bugging mom about the cable you left in the hotel room.

I travel with a BUILT cable case, and the thing weighs a couple of lbs. when I'm with family, because I've learned from experience that they have an absolutely uncanny ability to find the one outlet in the hotel room that is dead, and then plug their phone into it before collapsing into bed. Then in the morning the phone is still dead, and somehow it's always up to me to come to the rescue. Since I draw the line at carrying multiple 10,000 mAh power bricks, I now actually make it a point to go around the room after they have all gone to bed, and check that every phone is indeed charging, and that every backup battery is charging as well. Doing that easily requires bringing a mini-surge protector strip. Each person carries their own brick, even DH, who HATES to carry his own, and will always optimistically decide that his phone will make it and he can leave the extra battery in the room. (I'm on to that one now. I pick that sucker up, put it in my pocket, and hand it to him as soon as we get on the bus.)

FWIW, I've finally managed to get all of my personal portable electronics on the same connection standard; my phone, power brick, tablet and laptop are all USB-C. Of course, at WDW I have a misting fan, so I use a little converter dongle to charge that one. Business travel (when it finally comes back) is going to be a piece of cake on the charging front.

Last edited:
I am currently 54 and I am a heavy technology user. Even my folks (mom 78, Stepdad 71) are savvy enough to use their smart phones for basic stuff (I do all the rest for them LOL).

I also work in libraries where we have to service both demographics. We are not just books anymore.

Phone usage for everyday life is way more common then people think and it is a trend across the board. It is honestly easier in almost every business/gov/social service/entertainment application to access service by phone over in person or even on standard desktop devices.

I really think non smart phone users are in the sunset. I'm not saying that's bad or good, I'm just saying that's the trend we are seeing.

I see the same trend, at work. But I'm with SHH that when I'm playing I prefer to keep my phone securely put away most of the time. Why? $$$$. If you constantly carry a smartphone, you are constantly at risk of breaking said smartphone. Like you I'm a librarian, and on my salary, replacing a broken smartphone is painful. Replacing one my teen DD has dropped on the pavement 4 times in a day because she's sweatily bopping around a theme park with it constantly in her hand is more than painful; it's infuriating. I simply do not want to have it out all the time in a high-risk environment where my attention (or hers) is constantly distracted. FWIW, I never use my phone as a boarding pass for the same reason; I get easily distracted in airports, and I really don't want to put my phone at risk of getting set down and left behind. During the pandemic I've started to carry it around my neck on a lanyard because I need the voice-to-text function to replace lip-reading, but most people are not willing to look that dorky all day. :o

We are water-park people, so we won't be giving up MagicBands anytime soon. Cheap, waterproof, un-smashable unless you use a hammer, and easily replaced; no way am I giving that up for an expensive and delicate alternative.

I'm willing to bet that for most Americans today, a cell phone (together with the cost of operating it) is the 3rd most expensive single item they own, right behind a home &/or a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
I also hate moving away from magic bands, mostly because it makes managing things for kids so much better. I have to thumb thru passes in my app or watch.... meh.

But, I can say that I use my Apple Watch to pay for pretty much everything these days. Waterpark, theme park, gas station, grocery store, you name it.

again, for everyone saying that smart phone users are the norm now and those who don't or aren't comfortable with them are older and fading away, it's NOT about understanding or refusing to use a smart phone. I am literally on tablets, cells and laptops all my waking hours for work, errands, banking, investing, entertainment, etc.

I choose digital over in person or phone to get stuff done 100% of the time: I rarely step into a grocery store or restaurant. I bought our last two cars 100% online - never stepped foot into a dealership.

The only difference between me and all of you is that I don't want to be stuck on the darn thing all day when I'm outside, enjoying my vacation.

again, for everyone saying that smart phone users are the norm and those who don't are going away...for many of us, it's really not about refusing to use a smart phone. It's not about ABILITY to use these devices at all. I'm on tablets, cells and laptops virtually all my waking hours for work, errands, banking, investing, etc, etc. I choose digital over in person or phone to get stuff done in daily life 100% of the time: I rarely step into a grocery store or restaurant - I've even bought our last two cars 100% online - never stepped into a dealership.

The only difference between me and all you cool, hip folks that "get it" is that I don't want to be on the darn thing all day on my vacation.
Exactly! I can use it (even though the thing with the glasses gets old real quick), but I want to use it to make things more convenient, not less.

Right? I'm a smack dab middle millennial and have been funding my own trips for over 10 years.

Texting is annoying with the tiny screen and feel like I have to tap with a toothpick to spell out the words and then have to double check what I typed before sending due to the annoying 'auto-correct' that typically inserts the wrong words. Text 'conversations' always seem disjointed and it far too easy to misunderstand what the other person is saying. If you want to text me with more then a yes/no answer or say what time we are meeting, then I rather you call me.
I had texting turned off on my phone. Not interested. One of my better decisions. 😊

Edit: I also turned off auto-correct. I'll make my own mistakes in e-mails, thanks.

Last edited:
Contemporary has a Fuel Rod kiosk in the lobby. Is $30 for a mediocre charger a perfect solution? No. But it was a solution, and it had your cables, which you could have used on someone else's charger. This was a $30 problem.
As I already stated a couple of times, including in a reply to you, I did buy it. It could not keep up. It kept my phone charged while using, but didnt charge the phone. It would not go above 10% while the phone was on and in use. One step forward, 2 steps back sort of thing. I even swapped it for a new power bank. No luck.

The original post was about losing cables and claiming there aren't any Andriod cables at WDW, which just isn't true.

I didnt say WDW, I said the 4 stores at the Contemporary, 2 stores at GF that had any chance of selling charges and several stores on Main St USA..oh...and the marketplace at BC. Who knows about the rest but all these places only had Apple/IPhone chargers

You're not missing something. The MDE app is NOT disabled-friendly, even if you are defining "disabled" as simply farsighted. For starters, it has no Settings option; the only thing you can set is language preference and whether or not to get notifications; you can't set the notifications to be anything other than sounds (normally I have my phone set to flash for notifications, but that doesn't work with MDE.)

It is not possible on every screen to enlarge text within the app, not by permanent setting, and not using finger-spread page zooming (it works on some screens, but not all: you can enlarge the theme-park reservation screen, but not the Mobile Ordering one, which is bass-ackwards, since you are much more likely to be using a phone to order food). It also has a tendency to hang when used with the phone set to high-contrast mode.

St1tch, the OP related an incident about a lost charging cord, which of course is on her, but it all fits with the reality that if you cannot comfortably rely on being able to consult/use a smartphone to make all your in-park decisions, then your ability to enjoy the parks to their fullest is diminished, and the galling part is that that is not accidental, but designed-in to the present day park experience. If you are going to sell power-related phone accessories in the parks at all, then you need to sell them for all types of phones, not just one brand. (I'm not going to extend this wish to things like cases, just items that allow phones to actually function.) And if you are going to create an app that uses this much power, then the power banks sold in the parks need to be up to the challenge of providing it. A 2600 mAh Fuel Rod isn't going to do that for a current-generation smartphone.

It's not just about text size, it's about forcing a guest to both carry and frequently use a fragile, expensive device that requires an independent power source. If you are going to make it so you cannot take advantage of the majority of park activities without it, then it should at least be designed so that it is less likely to fail. Step 1 for that would be stripping down the excess content & visuals so that power & bandwidth consumption is reduced, and beyond that, creating a settings menu that allows disabled guests to decide for themselves how they can best interact with it. The Disney Company prides itself on accomodating the disabled, but this is one area where they have really fallen short.

All of this!! Thank you for explaining my concerns way better than I did :) Needing a smartphone to buy an apple juice at Contempo was just absurd to me!

Mobile ordering and check in and all of that has been great. I've never been to WDW when it wasn't a completely phone-dependent experience, as it has been for many years. Since Covid, I haven't seen many restaurants even have physical menus anymore.
Not true. My last trip was Aug/Sept 2019. 2 weeks at Poly on DxDDP. 26 TS restaurants, all gave a menu. QR scanning wasnt even a thing. Capt Cooks/Contempo you could verbally order or press buttons at a kiosk. Magic Band for FPs/room key/purchases. Only time I needed a phone was when my 3 FPs were done I could go and book another. Thats it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter