• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Junior 24-Hour Channel on the Way (Still)

GrnMtnMan

DIS Veteran
I know this has been previously announced, but it has been so quiet for so long that I was getting worried that Disney Junior was going to continue just as a programming block, rather than a dedicated channel.

Anyway, Comcast and Disney announced a long term agreement today for Comcast to carry Disney networks. This should keep Disney from being part of those 11th-hour-channel-dropped-from-your-cable-provider games these guys play with each other.

The launching of the new Disney Junior channel, which was originally slated to replace Sopanet, is specifically mentioned in today's press release:

Xfinity TV customers will also receive the recently announced Disney Junior, a new 24-hour basic channel for children ages 2-7, parents and caregivers. Upon its debut in 2012, the new channel will feature animated and live action programming that blends Disney’s unparalleled storytelling and beloved characters with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills.

Curious if the channel is a) still replacing Soapnet, and b) if the channel will be exclusive to Comcast for some period. Anybody have any insight?

I know this has been previously announced, but it has been so quiet for so long that I was getting worried that Disney Junior was going to continue just as a programming block, rather than a dedicated channel.

Anyway, Comcast and Disney announced a long term agreement today for Comcast to carry Disney networks. This should keep Disney from being part of those 11th-hour-channel-dropped-from-your-cable-provider games these guys play with each other.

The launching of the new Disney Junior channel, which was originally slated to replace Sopanet, is specifically mentioned in today's press release:

Curious if the channel is a) still replacing Soapnet, and b) if the channel will be exclusive to Comcast for some period. Anybody have any insight?

I too have Comcast and I saw this. I don't think it's exclusive. Say goodbye to all of the kid cartoons on Disney Channel. Here are the shows on Disney Jr. coming up on the new channel:

Jake and the Never Land Pirates (Now)
Tinga Tinga Tales (Now)
Babar and the Adventures of Badou (Now)
Tales of Friendship with Winnie the Pooh (January 2012)
The Happy Hugglemonsters (2012)
Sofia the First (Spring 2013)

Ethan

I don't have Comcast...that's why I was asking. Comcast is an option for me though. I currently have RCN and have also had Verizon FIOS. I wish there were more info about this, as my contract is up soon and I want to know if I should switch provides.

I'm actually pleased about much of this content (for the youngest kids) is moving to a single channel. I'm trying to keep my 4.5 year old from getting into the tween shows on the main Disney channel, so keeping her on the Junior for a few more years would be nice. I hope it stays as commercial free as the Junior programming block is.

Update: RCN added Disney Junior The Channel yesterday in SD and HD in the Washington DC area. It replaced the SD SoapNet channel and displaced StyleHD in the HD tier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter