• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Land November

bhodonne

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We will be in DL for the avengers half marathon November 12-17. We are DVC members and veterans of WDW. We have never been to DL though. What restaurants are a must book? We have two kids 11 and 9 and can behave in any situation. (Most of the time ). I am assuming that you can use Disney reward dollars the same as in WDW. We have been annual pass holders for a while but what about the ticket situation at DL. Buy direct or are there any savings going through another site. We are staying at the Grand Californian. Give me your veteran secrets!!!!! I really appreciate it!

I'm not the best one to recommend restaurants, but you will be at Disneyland during what will most likely be the opening week/weekend of the holiday season, so join us in the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread for more info on that, if you have time -- http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...erthread-5-awaiting-details-for-2015.3358217/. (You don't have to read the whole thread, but page 1 of the thread has a lot of good info and links to info, and we discuss breaking holiday news and rumors in the thread as well!)

I think your best bet for tickets is through get travel. There should be a link on the run disney website. If you were wanting to see fantasmic and world of colour then you might consider a dinner package. Blue bayou has a great atmosphere (it's in the pirates of the caribbean ride), and carthay circle is the signature restaurant in DCA.

Thank you for the information! I'll take a look at the thread and check out the restaurants. I appreciate the help!

There aren't really very many good ticket deals (nothing quite like the discounts you might see for WDW at places like Undercover Tourists). aRES, way.com, getawaytoday.com, AAA, and Costco are the most frequently mentioned options for selling slightly discounted tickets ($5 to $15 is pretty much the range). Just make sure you read the fine print for any handling fees or taxes (there shouldn't be any) that a third party vendor might add that will cut into the discounts.

In terms of the Disney Rewards Dollars, the only caveat I'd add is to note that a good number of the DTD locations (third party) do not accept Disney Gift Cards. I don't know about the Rewards Dollars (i.e., are they like the Gift Cards?), but I would check with the location your thinking of using them at to make sure they accept them.

Dining at DLR is different than at WDW; there are fewer locations (just because there are fewer parks and hotels), but there are still some outstanding selections. Dining reservations open up 60-days in advance (online or over the phone), but it's not nearly as critical to be online right when the system rolls. You can usually get prime dining reservations fairly close to your dates. What kinds of foods do you like? Are you interested in buffets, character meals, or TS locations?

For my family, my favorites at DLR are Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe (lunch/dinner), Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, Big Thunder BBQ, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, and PCH Grill (dinner). Allears.net has menus for DLR, so you can get a sense of the restaurants. There is also a Dining Reviews with Photo thread that highlight some of the places that fellow Dis'ers have gone to recently.

If you are currently WDW APs, you also might want to crunch the numbers for upgrading to a Premier Passport (even if just one person in your party does it). The AP discounts at DLR are far and away better than those at WDW and can save you money pretty much anywhere.

We've used the Disney Rewards Dollars at lots of different locations, but like figment says, I think you can only use them at Disney-operated restaurants and stores (so no Ralph Brennan's, Naples, Tortilla Jo's, etc.).

For a first DL trip, I think the table service restaurants you must try are Blue Bayou and Big Thunder BBQ. If your kids are really into characters, you might also consider Goofy's Kitchen and/or Ariel's Grotto.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter