Disney lovers first time at Universal

lisagirl88

Mouseketeer
We are a family of six(kids are 15,13,8 &8). We typically go to Disney, but are really excited to try Universal for the first time this trip. Unfortunately I have really procrastinated planning this trip(we will be at Universal March 4-6) so I am hoping I am able to stay onsite with Express Passes.

Two specific questions:
1. I haven’t researched the rides or park map yet, but was wondering what your families must do rides are? We are not huge HP, Marvel or Minion fans so no need to base it on those things.

2. For Disney I plan a ton for our touring strategy and meal reservations. Obviously we are less than a month away from our universal trip so I am not going to have the time for much planning. Does Universal need the type of planning that Disney needs to “do it right”?

Any other suggestions or advice is welcome!
Thanks!

We are a family of six(kids are 15,13,8 &8). We typically go to Disney, but are really excited to try Universal for the first time this trip. Unfortunately I have really procrastinated planning this trip(we will be at Universal March 4-6) so I am hoping I am able to stay onsite with Express Passes.

Two specific questions:
1. I haven’t researched the rides or park map yet, but was wondering what your families must do rides are? We are not huge HP, Marvel or Minion fans so no need to base it on those things.

2. For Disney I plan a ton for our touring strategy and meal reservations. Obviously we are less than a month away from our universal trip so I am not going to have the time for much planning. Does Universal need the type of planning that Disney needs to “do it right”?

Thanks!

1. Uh. Well. You hit the big three there. Are you rollercoaster fans? If so Hulk is a great coaster. Even if you don’t like HP, that area is really, really cool. Although if you actively dislike it, maybe not. Minions is a fun family friendly ride. So other than those, you’ve got Kong, Jurassic Park, some other random IP (Shrek), a few good non-IP rides and shows. I don’t know. You ruled out my favs. Oh wait, the Simpsons area is very cool.

2. You don’t need to plan dining. At least not like Disney. You might want to make some reservations the week or two before you go for places that take them. Just research the menus to see what sounds appealing to you.

Two specific questions:

Thanks!

If you're hoping to stay at an on site that includes EP, that ship may have sailed at this point. There isn't much planning needed but you do have to start a little further out than now.

I checked availability at the three deluxe resorts and there is some. You will need two rooms for six people. The deluxe hotels will include unlimited express passes for all. There's also availability at Cabana Bay- one suite will hold six, but you would not get express passes included. if you stay onsite deluxe and get free express passes, you won't have to plan much ahead. You'll be able to walk (or boat) to the parks, and you can plan dining the day before or same day.

Hi the great think about Universal is you don't need to plan in advance. You really could go day to day on parks, rides and food. I think if you can get on-site with express pass that would be beneficial. Like pp stated you would need two rooms potentially at one of the three deluxe hotels (RPR, PBH or HRH) unless you look into suites there but they can be expensive. You could do a suite at Sapphire Falls or Cabana like pp state but no ep.

I think you don't have to be a complete fan to ride some of the themed areas you mentioned. The rides are still cool and fun. We don't like Jimmy Fallon but we enjoyed the simulated ride portion. In the studios MIB, , The Mummy, Rip Ride Rocket and Transformers are some of our favorites. The Simpsons area is very cool but the ride makes us sick. In IOA Hulk, Dr. Doom are great. Kong and Jurassic Park area are cool. The HP areas are cool to take a quick walk through and maybe try the ride. You could always check out you tube to see if it interests you. If you like water rides and getting soaked there are a few of those in IOA.

We went to Disney all the time for years and then once we gave Universal a try we were hooked. Happy Planning and enjoy it!

Being less than one month out, book your room now

That will be the hardest part of your trip planning

Read up about the parks at universalorlando.com

Rides, shows, entertainment and park layout

Your kids can get an idea of rides they want to do as a group

Citywalk.com will have menus listed
Get an idea now so you have some basic ideas for family meals

Enjoy your time at the darkside!

The Universal app on the phone has a great map of the whole property. Everyone in the family can start playing with it now to see what is available and might appeal to them. Wait times are listed so if you don't get deluxe with EP, you can stay onsite, take advantage of early entry, and use the app wait times to tour effectively.

One tip before you leave:

Have a few family nights where everyone watches the HP movies together with an open mind.

I never cared much about Harry Potter, until my now 8 year old daughter got my wife and I to watch the first movies. Now we love the story (although we arent maybe die hard fans).

It will make the trip 10 times more interesting. Also maybe watch the first Jurassic Park movie if you have the time. That part of the park is really immersive (as a lot of other parts of UO).

About planning the trip: it is not needed. Just go with the flow. Get the Universal app and watch some YouTube videos of the rides.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the replies!!!! It’s not that we don’t like Harry Potter we just aren’t huge fans. I am probably looking forward to those areas the most.
Not sure we have the budget for 2 rooms in deluxe tier so may just have to settle for a suite at Cabana Bay and just plan on seeing/riding what we can without the express passes.
I love the idea to watch the HP and JP movies before we go!

I was in the same boat; I wasn't really looking forward to the trip and we have always been into Disney...

We stayed on-site and with the express passes we hardly waited in line the entire trip. Don't worry about planning! If you're skipping the lines you'll be able to go at your own pace like WDW used to be!

It was a great trip! I can't say I'm converted to Universal because I grew up with Disney, but WDW needs to step up their game!

I was wondering if the dining plan is worth getting at Universal (we usually get Disney's Dining). We are like a lot of you, Disney Nuts. I feel a little bad going but my grandchildren want to try something different this year. Thanks for any input you guys could give me.

I was wondering if the dining plan is worth getting at Universal (we usually get Disney's Dining). We are like a lot of you, Disney Nuts. I feel a little bad going but my grandchildren want to try something different this year. Thanks for any input you guys could give me.

Do not pre-buy the dining plan! From my understanding, you can buy the dining plan per meal (day), at the time you purchase your meal. If your meal total is around $17 before tax, then the suggestion is to buy the meal plan for the day. This will give you an extra snack and drink to use later. If your meal purchase comes to less than $17 before tax then it is better to just pay for the meal without the plan. You can ask any counter service teller for a meal plan at any time when purchasing your meal.

Do not pre-buy the dining plan! From my understanding, you can buy the dining plan per meal (day), at the time you purchase your meal. If your meal total is around $17 before tax, then the suggestion is to buy the meal plan for the day. This will give you an extra snack and drink to use later. If your meal purchase comes to less than $17 before tax then it is better to just pay for the meal without the plan. You can ask any counter service teller for a meal plan at any time when purchasing your meal.
Thanks so much!!

Thanks for the replies!!!! It’s not that we don’t like Harry Potter we just aren’t huge fans. I am probably looking forward to those areas the most.
Not sure we have the budget for 2 rooms in deluxe tier so may just have to settle for a suite at Cabana Bay and just plan on seeing/riding what we can without the express passes.
I love the idea to watch the HP and JP movies before we go!

We always stay offsite (because I need space) and never have express passes and we go during Thanksgiving, which is busy. We go at park opening and have no problem with getting on the rides we want. I love not having to plan meals and usually only make a reservation for Thanksgiving a couple weeks in advance. The beauty of Universal is that I can plan a little bit (which I like) but not overplan like you need to for Disney. BTW, my daughter (10) favorite ride it The Mummy!

We always stay offsite (because I need space) and never have express passes and we go during Thanksgiving, which is busy. We go at park opening and have no problem with getting on the rides we want. I love not having to plan meals and usually only make a reservation for Thanksgiving a couple weeks in advance. The beauty of Universal is that I can plan a little bit (which I like) but not overplan like you need to for Disney. BTW, my daughter (10) favorite ride it The Mummy!
I also have a Granddaughter who is 10 and she keeps saying she would be afraid of that ride. I'll let her know about your daughter. Thanks for the input.

I also have a Granddaughter who is 10 and she keeps saying she would be afraid of that ride. I'll let her know about your daughter. Thanks for the input.

And my daughter is a chicken when it comes to roller coasters. But she likes Space Mountain and the Mummy is similar but a bit faster. She also loved Escape from Gringotts. Like I said she doesn't like fast/scary rides but those 2 are her favorites.

The Mummy is also my 10-year-old daughter's favorite ride. She resisted riding it (and the other roller coasters), but once she did, she was hooked!

Same with Abby with Space Mountain. She is getting a little braver, now her brother age 12 is a different story. He will ride anything!!!

Do they have the time posted for Express Pass like they have with Disney's Fast Pass line? We are going June 21-23 (Wednesday-Friday) this year and was wondering how the Express Pass lines are.

Last edited:
Do they have the time posted for Express Pass like they have with Disney's Fast Pass line? We are going June 21-23 (Wednesday-Friday) this year and was wondering how the Express Pass lines are.
No assigned time to use the ep lines at uo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter