• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magic

My husband is sort of like that. I have been going to WDW every year since my first granddaughter was four years old! He went that time and then two years later, for Christmas. While he enjoys the parks, you can just see that he hasn't gotten the "bug". My kids, (all grown) have the "bug" and look forward to going when they can. I have two more granddaughters that go with me now. They get "it". This year, the girls and their mother and two year old son went. As young as he is, he "gets it"!!!! His father on the other has never been and doesn't want to. He has agreed to go when the boy is 5 or 6, just to get my daughter off his back!!:lmao: Maybe then his opinion will change. I am still working on my husband and do each trip that I take. He will give in sooner or later or I will be on his back!!!:rotfl2:

Remember that Disney has something for everyone. If she likes cruises go on Disney cruise, if she likes luxury hotels, book one, if she likes spa, get her spa, if she likes dining make lots of ADRs. Disney is not only about characters and parks, not everyone in that. Chances are she will change her mind once she is there, but make your vacation according to what she likes.

If you still can recapture that "child-like enthusiasm and innocence" there is a chance. Thankfully DH and I first went together in 2001 when we were still fairly young...that trip provided lots of giddiness and memories we still cherish today. We both got it....we had tears in our eyes as we drove home (and still do every time we are leaving on the plane).

But I agree with other posters, you either have it or don't. I'm not saying people who don't have it don't like WDW...but they get that magical sensation in the pit of their stomachs that warms the soul. And there is still a chance for those who might not have had that feeling before, to get it in the future ;).

For instance, I have my family in town visiting us from California. They live around the corner from DL. My aunt often heads to DL for a morning to walk around and do rides (by herself at times). I completely understood where she was coming from and we began finishing each other's sentences with excitement about the park! Other family members in the room just looked at us and smiled. They just didn't get it ;) :wizard:.

I think a lot of the magic comes from memories and the abilty to let yourself be open to having a good time no matter the situation.

Maybe a different style of doing Disney would make it more enjoyable / magic for her. For example, if she hates crowds try making reservations for breakfast in the park an hour before the park opens, on a non extra magic hour day. Then be willing to leave when the park gets too crowded for her. Or you could stay with the kids at the park when the crowds grow and send her off to shop or relax at the pool.

My DH doesn't get it. He is a good sport and comes along for the ride because I love it and our DDs love it, but he doesn't love it. We've been several times with the kids and twice before we had kids - it just isn't his thing. He always has a good time, but he doesn't anticipate the trip, wonder when the next trip will be, get disappointed if a favorite ride or restaurant is closed, or get particularly excited about new rides. He enjoys it well enough, but he would just as soon go somewhere else once in a while. :scared1:

We have taken to each of us choosing the vacation in alternate years. We are doing Disney in 2010 and Disneyland in 2012 (my years to pick). His year is 2011 - no idea what we will do, but it will likely involve tents and baiting fishing hooks. :confused3 Maybe I need to suggest camping at Ft. Wilderness? ;)

He is under the impression that we will stop going to WDW once the kids go off to college, at least until we have grandkids. How wrong he is . . . :rotfl2:

If she hasn't gotten it by now, she never will. Sorry. Hopefully she goes along and enjoys what you and the kids get out of it.
My dh can't. He's a whiney little brat when he comes along. So I leave him home. He's not like this at home, but something about Disney World makes him nuts. Don't know if it's the lines, heat, cost, or what, but it's always better when he stays home. We share so much else of our lives with each other, we don't mind not having this.

For me, the magic hits the minute I see the castle in the distance. I cry every time. It evokes memories of Sunday nights as a child, cuddled up with my Mother and five brothers and sisters watching World of Disney. It was always a peaceful, loving time in what was a not so peaceful or loving household. It was magic and the magic has been there for me ever since.
I am lucky to have two daughters who feel it too and always want to go with me. It's just like the commerical where the parents turn into little kids. We are all eight years old for a few days.

WDW is a vacation, and an expensive one to boot. There's a big whole other world out there with tons of other places to go and things to spend your money on. Yeah, I love it: In the last four years, I 've been four times to WDW (all short trips) and once to DL and once to Tokyo Disney. But I don't go there at the expense of going other places.

Does she not want to spend the money or prefer to spend it going somewhere else or on something else (not a vacation)?

How old are your kids? How long did you go for? Maybe you are spending too long there for her taste? The next time you propose going, how about visiting other sites (NOT crowded amusement parks) in Florida and spending only two days at WDW.....

Some people take the same vacation every year. That would drive me crazy.

First time poster on here...

My wife just said, "what exactly is the magic?"

I am 100% Disney, with hopefully three disney kids following in my footsteps, but can't understand why the wife doesn't get it.

For the others out there...

1) Is there any chance of my spouse 'getting it'?

2) What can I say or do to help her 'get it'?

by the way... she thinks "Wishes" is just a good fireworks show.:sad2:

Leaving in 45 days, so i have a couple more weeks for the switch.

Some people in my family don't "Get it" either. My sister can't seem to understand why I keep going back & not try somewhere else? I have traveled to other vacations places but none have that Magical feeling like when I step through the gates & onto Main street & see the Castle!

My husband, although not a Disney freak like me, respects the fact that my Disney is his Harley! He understands that this is my passion, so much so that while on a short trip last Dec (conference at Colorado Springs how cool was that!) He asked me if I wanted to look into the DVC...well YES!!!! So now we are DVC members at AKV.

He may not always go to Disney with me & that's OK but my youngest loves it as much as I do & totally "Gets it"!

My first few times at Disney (First trip was 1992) I would do what my children dubbed "The mommy walk" I would fast walk through the parks so I could squeeze everything in; never knowing if or when I would ever return. :confused3

Now that my kids are out of school & my new husband understands & respects my passion I can go anytime I want! :banana:

We were just there in June with his daughter (15) & mine (23) & now just my youngest & I will be returning in Nov. (His daughter wasn't raised Disney :rotfl2: so she doesn't get it either)

Whenever someone questions me about my many trips to WDW I ask them what are they passionate about...golf, scrapbooking, motorcycles? Well, mine is Disney :lovestruc And everytime I go back there is something new to discover. :cloud9:

[QUOTE=KellyNY;33745605]Remember that Disney has something for everyone. If she likes cruises go on Disney cruise, if she likes luxury hotels, book one, if she likes spa, get her spa, if she likes dining make lots of ADRs. Disney is not only about characters and parks, not everyone in that. Chances are she will change her mind once she is there, but make your vacation according to what she likes.[/QUOTE]

I agree, maybe change things around a little. Sometimes people love the parks, but need to change the experience. Maybe do something very romantic for her. Disney has a floral/gift service that will deliver gifts to your room. They used to have a Cinderella slipper with flowers, tiara's, rose petals in the room, etc. Can be a challenge with kids in tow. Think of a way to add a little something that she really likes into this trip and keep it a surprise. Good luck.

If you want to give us some details about your "normal" Disney trip we can give you a lot of advice about some changes that might make things more magical for your DW. For example: where do you normally stay, do you get up for rope drop every day, how long do you stay at the parks, what do you do outside of the parks etc.

hey all! :wave2: i am usually a lurker (love the photo threads)....:surfweb:

But i just had to share my story....my brother, sister and i grew up in a turbulent (understatement) household. father alcoholic, mother really unstable….they “raised” us on 5-6,000 a year…most of which went for alcohol and other things. We witnessed lots of domestic abuse and moved too many times to count.

I got married at 18. I am now 32 with a wonderful husband…still the same guy lol. We have a life completely opposite of the way I grew up….my kids are rotten. My dream had always been to go to Disney but that’s exactly what it was, a dream. Well, my brother was in college and he and his DGF wanted to go for a 3 day weekend. Her mother insisted on a chaperone….and my brother volunteered me. My husband stayed home with the kids because at the time we couldn’t afford for us all to go. But he happily sent me. :cheer2:

I cried at the main gate, I cried at the magic kingdom gate, I cried seeing the monorail, and pretty much the whole time. We were like two ten year olds that trip…my brother and I. It was like nothing I can describe. We were excited about everything….even the carpet in space mountain…it was so clean. We ended up going to MNSSHP that night. When we finally left Magic Kingdom that night we literally walked out backwards…I was almost doing okay until my brother looked at me, 22 years old btw, and was crying. He said “can you believe that WE have been to DISNEYWORLD? The same kids that used to not have food? Or toilet paper?”…it broke my heart. In a good way.

When I got back all I could talk about or think about was that I HAD to get my DH and two kids there. Well, my husband was such a cynic about it. He kept saying “I’ve been to six flags.” Finally exactly one year later we took our first trip as a family. I was so nervous…scared to death he would hate it. We went to Magic Kingdom first….DH was so excited seeing the castle…he said “it’s a real castle”…and he is a MAN’s man…a fireman :firefight…so very tough. I made sure the first ride was Splash Mountain…we got off and of course the DD 9 and DS 6 were ecstatic. But my husband looked at me and immediately grabbed me and kissed me and said “omg, I get it!”….

To end this rather long story….my first trip was 6 years ago. I have went back again with my brother, his wife and my mother. Then went with my sister for her very first time….who cried a lot too. We have gone every year since. DH says we will never go anywhere else. He would kill me knowing I wrote this but he gets all choked up watching Fantasmic…EVERY time lol. He loves everything about it. The smells, the lines, the food, and the characters. He even really got mad at me the time I offered Piglet bacon…still gives me grief over that one.

:tink: I would just say give your wife time….I am a firm believer in the Magic. Magic is what got me there. pixiedust:

But i just had to share my story....my brother, sister and i grew up in a turbulent (understatement) household. father alcoholic, mother really unstable….they “raised” us on 5-6,000 a year…most of which went for alcohol and other things. We witnessed lots of domestic abuse and moved too many times to count.

I got married at 18. I am now 32 with a wonderful husband…still the same guy lol. We have a life completely opposite of the way I grew up….my kids are rotten. My dream had always been to go to Disney but that’s exactly what it was, a dream. Well, my brother was in college and he and his DGF wanted to go for a 3 day weekend. Her mother insisted on a chaperone….and my brother volunteered me. My husband stayed home with the kids because at the time we couldn’t afford for us all to go. But he happily sent me. :cheer2:

I cried at the main gate, I cried at the magic kingdom gate, I cried seeing the monorail, and pretty much the whole time. We were like two ten year olds that trip…my brother and I. It was like nothing I can describe. We were excited about everything….even the carpet in space mountain…it was so clean. We ended up going to MNSSHP that night. When we finally left Magic Kingdom that night we literally walked out backwards…I was almost doing okay until my brother looked at me, 22 years old btw, and was crying. He said “can you believe that WE have been to DISNEYWORLD? The same kids that used to not have food? Or toilet paper?”…it broke my heart. In a good way.

When I got back all I could talk about or think about was that I HAD to get my DH and two kids there. Well, my husband was such a cynic about it. He kept saying “I’ve been to six flags.” Finally exactly one year later we took our first trip as a family. I was so nervous…scared to death he would hate it. We went to Magic Kingdom first….DH was so excited seeing the castle…he said “it’s a real castle”…and he is a MAN’s man…a fireman :firefight…so very tough. I made sure the first ride was Splash Mountain…we got off and of course the DD 9 and DS 6 were ecstatic. But my husband looked at me and immediately grabbed me and kissed me and said “omg, I get it!”….

To end this rather long story….my first trip was 6 years ago. I have went back again with my brother, his wife and my mother. Then went with my sister for her very first time….who cried a lot too. We have gone every year since. DH says we will never go anywhere else. He would kill me knowing I wrote this but he gets all choked up watching Fantasmic…EVERY time lol. He loves everything about it. The smells, the lines, the food, and the characters. He even really got mad at me the time I offered Piglet bacon…still gives me grief over that one.

:tink: I would just say give your wife time….I am a firm believer in the Magic. Magic is what got me there. pixiedust:

I must say your story sounds pretty close to mine. :sad1: I was 32 when I first went to WDW & like you I got all emotional.

I can remember in 1971 when they had the opening of WDW Televised, I was 11 years old sitting in front of the TV, dirt poor & thinking how lucky those people were to be there & how I would never, ever be "rich" enough to experiance it myself. It was a real sad feeling.

Then I went to a tech school, got married at 20, 3 kids by the time I was barely 26 & life took over & never once gave Disney another thought, until my friend suggested we join them in a trip to Disney.

April 1992, my first trip to Disney with my 3 kids ages 6, 8 & 9 & my now x husband. I had the best time in my whole life. We went every few years after that. Unfortunatly got divorced in 2004 but my new husband knew how passionate I was about Disney & we brought into DVC last Dec so now I can go anytime I want :banana:

God has a way of working things out. I may have lived a hard childhood but my life as an adult has been anything but. I'm a very lucky & "rich" woman & I mean very lucky & by rich I mean in spirit :angel:

I'm very happy for you & your family; you sound like you've come a long way & truely deserve it. Many blessings to you & have a Magical Day :tink:

Thank you for sharing your story. People from this group love to hear things like this. There is just something about Disney...

this will be our 3rd trip with the kids in the last 5 years.. so she has been there/done that...

I suggested a trip with just the two of us when the kids graduate and... well, that's a no. if fact our oldest dd is 10 and she thinks she is getting to old for the park! :scared1:

I'm dealing with a tough cookie here... help appreciated!

Try a Disney cruise. Lots of Disney without the parks... Also, while at the Resort, try some of the non-theme park venues -- water parks, mini-golf, boat experiences, DTD...

I also suggest playing Disney movies into a speaker pillow while she's asleep...:laughing:

This discussion would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it over there now.

Uh, too old at 10?!? Well, I don't know how many times you've been, but perhaps she is just not sentimental about things. Some people aren't. However, I believe there is always hope. There will be that one moment when you look at her during wishes and her eyes light up! My husband was not a disney person, but he is getting into it now. Okay he's not a nerd like me sitting here at 11pm researching new stuff about the parks and sharing ideas with other disney nerds, but hey, I'll take it :)

That is one of the sweetest things I have ever read. Thank you so much for sharing such a personal story. You are right, that is Disney magic. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter