Disney manicures anything special?

I get mine done at home too. I had one gel (they call it the no chip) pedicure on the ship after I stubbed my big toe and ruined my pre-cruise pedi. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't what I wanted to spend my time doing on the cruise.

Last time I vacationed, I had my regular nail tech at home give me a gel pedi, and I'll do it next vacation too. Sunscreen and sand wreak havoc on regular polish. My gel pedi still looked great after days 10 of beach going.

BTW, DCL charged me 60$ for the no chip pedicure. At home, I get a gel mani/pedi for 75$.

Usually I don't have my nails painted cause it chips within a day (if not sooner). I just don't have time for that. My toes though last forever - well as long as I don't wear regular shoes but who wants to do that?! Since I live in the south I'm used to being in flip flops or sandals. This time of year stinks. Hopefully spring will be here soon so I can ditch these shoes and socks :)
I plan on playing around with my nails before the cruise and thanks to everyone here I might go get a gel mani this weekend!
So many fun things associated with planning a disney cruise! Shoot I already want to start planning the next one. Anticipation is half the fun!

I usually take the day off before we fly and do a whole pre-cruise spa day. The view at the local spa isn't as nice, but for $500 I'm wrapped, massaged, facialed, mani'd and pedi'd and my toes are ready for sandals the moment I arrive in Florida.

Ok, So I need some help - What is shellac. Sorry I guess I don't get my nail done often enough to know. The last time I tried to get my nails done it was the OPI gel manicure and it didn't even last 24 hours. The manicurist tried it again and they come off again. She then told me my nails were too healthy for it to "stick" to. :confused3
So do all the nail places do shellac nails? Is that how I ask for it?
Sorry for sounding so dumb :goodvibes

OPI Gelcolor and CND Shellac are very similar. Orly, Gellish, Finger Paints and even Sephora have jumped on the bandwagon. All are UV or LED cured polishes that are painted on. This category is often called Soak off Gels because you can remove them by soaking them in acitone.

Gel nails are a hardened product similar to acrylic in application and hardness that has be ground off (or pulled which can destroy the nail). When putting these on, they use a metal drill to rough up the surface first. They harden on their own - without the use of light or anything. They may put a clear coat of shellac on top for shine but that is not really the gel itself.

I would be careful about going in somewhere asking for Gels. Usually if you ask for Shellac, they know what you mean. It should stick as long as they clean the surface well. Sometimes your nails take a certain brand better too - so try CND Shellac or Gellish.

I had one last year on the Fantasy - gel manicure - it worked out at nearly $100 just for hands. Great manicure, lasted about 3 weeks but solo expensive and the manicurist was just downright miserable, she was homesick and whilst I was sympathetic it just didn't make for a pleasant experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter