"Disney Mountain" Project from 1986

Geoff_M

DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
The guys at WDWNT got a hold of a previously unknown pre-feasibility study from 1986 for a proposed $1.2B project called "Disney Mountain." Effectively, it was to be the sort of a completion of Walt's EPCOT island city project. It was to be built against Epcot and the then planned "Studio Tour" attraction. It was is be a five level "island" that would have contained 10 hotels, convention spaces, restaurants, large amphitheater, lots of small attractions, water park, underground parking, and a central tower... among other things. All of this would have been in the area that now is home to the Swan, Dolphin, and The Boardwalk.

Equally amazing, is that WDW in fact DID embrace many of the ideas contained in the "Disney Mountain" project and actually did built such things in the 90's... but they were instead scattered around the property. Many of the components of the "Mountain" will have a familiar ring in such things as some of the themed hotels that were built, as well as The Boardwalk, and Pleasure Island.

The booklet the WDW team shows includes a lot of concept art too. The project/study appears to have been conducted with the aid of Bechtel.

Note: The topic actually starts at about the 18:00 mark of the video.

Last edited:
The guys at WDWNT got a hold of a previously unknown pre-feasibility study from 1986 for a proposed $1.2B project called "Disney Mountain." Effectively, it was to be the sort of a completion of Walt's EPCOT island city project. It was to be built against Epcot and the then planned "Studio Tour" attraction. It was is be a five level "island" that would have contained 10 hotels, convention spaces, restaurants, large amphitheater, lots of small attractions, water park, underground parking, and a central tower... among other things. All of this would have been in the area that now is home to the Swan, Dolphin, and The Boardwalk.

Equally amazing, is that WDW in fact DID embrace many of the ideas contained in the "Disney Mountain" project and actually did built such things in the 90's... but they were instead scattered around the property. Many of the components of the "Mountain" will have a familiar ring in such things as some of the themed hotels that were built, as well as The Boardwalk, and Pleasure Island.

The booklet the WDW team shows includes a lot of concept art too. The project/study appears to have been conducted by Bechtel.

Note: The topic actually starts at about the 18:00 mark of the video.

I unfortunately don't have the time to watch this now, but I plan to watch through it later this week. Thank you for posting!

It simply amazes me the amount of ideas, plans, and concepts that we may never know about (or that may eventually get uncovered).

It's a long video, but it's amazing. To put it in perspective, I think it gives an interesting insight into the thinking of WDI at a time that Epcot had been completed and people were starting to ask "OK, what should we do next?"

Its equally amazing that Disney ideas never die they just evolve.

Exactly. When Uncle Bob wants something new, I'm sure the first thing they do is go into the archives, dust off the shelves and see what they can use. Why try and build something new if there are already plans for it.

Also, I'm curious how many ideas were created back in the 70's and 80's that never came to fruition due to the technological limitations at the time? For some reason I'm remembering the magic mirror in Enchanted Tales with Belle was one of them, but I could just be making stuff up.

Exactly. When Uncle Bob wants something new, I'm sure the first thing they do is go into the archives, dust off the shelves and see what they can use. Why try and build something new if there are already plans for it.

Also, I'm curious how many ideas were created back in the 70's and 80's that never came to fruition due to the technological limitations at the time? For some reason I'm remembering the magic mirror in Enchanted Tales with Belle was one of them, but I could just be making stuff up.
Hatbox ghost would be one. It was tried in the 60s but just couldn't work right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter