Disney Movie Club CLOSING

Cabius

More Disney-obsessed than is healthy.
Announcement just sent out via email!

1708454564192.png
. . .

1708454581063.png

I typically declined the feature of the month, but occasionally would pick it up and add a bunch of deeply-discounted old titles to the mix while I'm at it. They carried some movies that were hard to find elsewhere. So I'm not heartbroken, but it will be missed!

TWDC shouting "All shall submit to streaming! Physical media shall not pass!"

Feel bad for all the folks (like me) that love the artwork that comes with physical media. Nothing better than staring at inserts with really incredible work by artists. Sad.

Feel bad for all the folks (like me) that love the artwork that comes with physical media. Nothing better than staring at inserts with really incredible work by artists. Sad.

Well, I mean, it's not Disney's fault exactly. Physical media just isn't selling like it used to. Consumers propmted the change. Disney Movie Club though had some unique offerings, even some stuff that's not on D+ so it's a shame to see it go.

I still have a bunch of DIS classics on VHS from when our DD was growing up. I enjoy the interviews with Jeffrey Katzenberg, Roy Edward Disney, etc.

I think that's what helped bring back vinyl records - kids/young adults realized there was some cool art work there the whole time. Maybe it will eventually be the same with video. One of my young adult kids bought an old laser disk player on ebay a few years ago, loves the art work on those big old discs...

Will the Disney Movie Club have sales on their movies now that the closure is happening? It's a shame that Disney Movie Club is closing and why are they closing in the first place? I think it's due to the popularity of streaming movies and places like MAX and Netflix and Disney+. My mom is a loyal member of Disney Movie Club and she used to love to get deals on Disney movies all the time

Will the Disney Movie Club have sales on their movies now that the closure is happening? It's a shame that Disney Movie Club is closing and why are they closing in the first place? I think it's due to the popularity of streaming movies and places like MAX and Netflix and Disney+. My mom is a loyal member of Disney Movie Club and she used to love to get deals on Disney movies all the time
Yes, they teased that they'll reward existing members with "perks" before the final closure. I think we'll see sales to get rid of all the stock.

I think the decline in popularity makes the deal with Sony make sense if Disney is trying to shift risk to a partner. I hope Sony will produce steelbooks because I'd like to continue my Disney Animation and Pixar Steelbook collection as new titles come out. I also hope more of the older movies get remastered in 4K. Most recently they did Snow White and Cinderella but they seemed to stop there for pre-renaissance films.

I think the decline in popularity makes the deal with Sony make sense if Disney is trying to shift risk to a partner. I hope Sony will produce steelbooks because I'd like to continue my Disney Animation and Pixar Steelbook collection as new titles come out. I also hope more of the older movies get remastered in 4K. Most recently they did Snow White and Cinderella but they seemed to stop there for pre-renaissance films.

I do think that this is the way to go. As the physical market becomes more and more niche, the collector's item typs of releases will still have some appeal. A nice steelbook with some cool extras are what is going to appeal to the customers. People just aren't buying your run-of-the-mill releases anymore.

why are they closing in the first place? I think it's due to the popularity of streaming movies and places like MAX and Netflix and Disney+.
That's a big part of it, but I think instrumentally the issue is that Disney is outsourcing their physical media production/distribution to Sony, at which point it no longer makes sense to be in that business.

Wild to think how much has changed since the VHS industry exploded as a revenue source for Disney in the 80s and 90s!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter