• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Springs to Remain Temporarily Closed Today Due to Tropical Storm Ian

As the effects of now Tropical Storm Ian continue to be felt in the Central Florida area, Disney has announced that Disney Springs will remain closed today, September 29th. Disney’s previous guidance was that they expected Disney Springs to remain closed, but they have made that decision official this morning.

As a reminder, the Walt Disney World theme parks are currently closed today, September 29th. Disney has not announced if the theme parks will remain closed on September 30th, but they are currently scheduled to reopen.

It's my Friday this week, compressed schedule, so I'm good, LOL!
It was supposed to be mine as well, supposed to travel from today through the weekend, but due to the storm, all plans were canceled. Pretty disappointing. Kids are upset they’re not getting taken out of school! We’re going to make the best of the weekend, though, and still travel, but heading out west!

Significant flooding reported in Orlando as Hurricane Ian passes Walt Disney World

Early reports are that Walt Disney World power remains on, with flooding being the primary concern this morning.

The FL Turnpike is closed in both directions from mile markers 254 through 267 in Orange County due to significant flooding. The northbound and southbound lanes in this area will remain closed until the storm passes and the flooding subsides.

Disney has not yet updated its original plans, closing all Walt Disney World theme parks on September 28 and 29. It remains to be seen if Disney will attempt any partial opening of the parks on Friday. Disney's priority for theme park reopening is likely to be for resort hotel guests. Disney yesterday halted Park Pass reservations for Friday.

lucky!!! my CDO is next Friday..but I also work in the budget world and we close out our fiscal year tomorrow so I'm ready for this week to be OVER!

Oh, I know that pain too well, in my previous life I worked in Finance, fiscal year end and the month and a half following was the most stressful time of the year.

Operational update for Orlando International Airport - all approach roads flooded

Orlando International Airport has provided a status update on its plans to reopen following Hurricane Ian.

Since commercial operations at the Orlando International Airport ceased at 10:30 a.m. yesterday, an emergency plan was put in place in order to secure the facility.
There are no scheduled flights today at MCO.
All roads leading into Orlando International Airport are closed due to flooding at this time. This includes all major and secondary arteries including Jeff Fuqua Blvd and Heintzelman Blvd, and Bear Rd and Cargo
Rd. Our staff will conduct a damage assessment of the entire facility complex to ensure it's safe to resume operations.
Commercial operations are expected to resume sometime Friday, 09/30/22, pending on damage assessment. Whenever a specific time is decided, we'll share it on our social media channels and website.
Travelers are advised to contact their airlines directly for information about their specific flights.

Important Update For Walt Disney World in Aftermath of Hurricane

For the safety of guests and Cast Members, check-in will NOT be accepted on Thursday, September 29, 2022. For guests with a Friday, September 30, 2022 reservation, please arrive at your resort NO EARLIER than 3pm et. Guests who arrive before 3pm will not be able to check in.

Guests may reschedule their trip or cancel their stay. Any customary cancellation fees will be waived. Guests that are checked in will receive updates including any shelter in place requirements.

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, Copper Creek Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Treehouse Villas at Disneys Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and the Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort will be closed through Friday, September 30, 2022 due to weather.

*click for additional info

Last edited:

Disney World Extends Suspension of New Resort Hotel Reservations Until October 3rd

As Disney World continues to experience the effects of now Tropical Storm Ian, they have continued to extend the suspension on new resort hotel reservations. When we last checked, new resort hotel reservations were allowed beginning October 2nd, but Disney World has recently pushed that back a day. Now, new Disney World resort hotel reservations are suspended through October 2nd, with new reservations now available on October 3rd.

Disney World emergency management and operations teams will likely do an assessment of the theme parks and resorts later today as the weather conditions start to improve.

Currently, the Walt Disney World theme parks are scheduled to reopen tomorrow, September 30th. Disney World has said that the reopening date is tentative and subject to change based on conditions.

Kidani Village is fine. A few branches here and there. Along with a tree that has fallen in the middle of the savana. The animals that stayed out during the storm are all fine and are eating the trees.

0906FFD5-0F53-4DE3-8443-B0FF21BB307D.jpeg

The characters are back

1CEA5D31-B10A-48B6-8F33-7CE6EF70209D.jpeg

We’re still on lockdown until further notice. The ice cream was sold out, but they restocked it with Mickey Bars this morning.

Preliminary report from National Weather Service suggests Walt Disney World was largely spared from high wind speeds

The National Weather Service in Melbourne, Florida, has released a preliminary report of the highest wind gusts recorded from Hurricane Ian.

For Walt Disney World, the report lists a Magic Kingdom weather station recording a maximum wind gust of 45mph at 12:20am this morning.

Nearby Orlando Internation Airport recorded a maximum wind gust of 67mph at 7:35am.

Although wind speeds may not have been as high as feared, significant rainfall has caused flash floods, hampering the damage assessment and repairs.

Kidani Village is fine. A few branches here and there. Along with a tree that has fallen in the middle of the savana. The animals that stayed out during the storm are all fine and are eating the trees.

View attachment 706398

The characters are back

View attachment 706399

We’re still on lockdown until further notice. The ice cream was sold out, but they restocked it with Mickey Bars this morning.
That picture of Dug and Russell playing Guitar hero with the kids is the best thing I've seen in a while.

According to this web site, Dorian, in 2019, prompted the parks to close. Dorian took a turn and stayed off the Atlantic coast and missed WDW. I was there in 2017, 2 days after Irma rolled right over WDW as a Cat 3. The parks were closed for 3 days.

j

We were at WDW during Dorian, and were impressed by how things were handled. Even though we really didn’t get hit by much, we felt like things would be fine weathering out the storm on property. LOL Our joke at the time was that even hurricanes can’t afford to go to WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter