Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Yeah, seems like a big change. I don't know why there couldn't be a little overlap in the age ranges, maybe a year. Some kids will like different things than others.
From what I have been reading, there were cases where older kids bullied/harassed/assaulted younger kids and that led to the policy change.

I think 3-12 is way too big of an age range. I understand the families that are upset, but I think it is a positive move. I also would have been fine if they let the 12 year olds stay, but separated the ages, like 3-6 and 7-12.

From what I have been reading, there were cases where older kids bullied/harassed/assaulted younger kids and that led to the policy change.

I think 3-12 is way too big of an age range. I understand the families that are upset, but I think it is a positive move. I also would have been fine if they let the 12 year olds stay, but separated the ages, like 3-6 and 7-12.

Yeah, that makes sense - 3 to 12 is a pretty large range. I would probably have it split like that with maybe a one year overlap where the kid on the borderline age could pick which they prefer.

I can see that, my 12yo cousin is taller than me by a head.

New Year’s Eve & January 2024 Hours Extended at Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom

Magic Kingdom will open an hour earlier, at 8:00 a.m., on December 31, January 4, 5, and 6. Early entry for hotel guests will begin at 7:30 a.m. on these days.

The park will stay open until 1:00 a.m. on December 31, New Year’s Eve. It will stay open for an extra two hours on January 1 through 6, until 11:00 p.m. each night.

Extended evening hours for select resort guests is on January 3 from 11:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.

Guests can also enjoy New Year’s Eve at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, which will be open until midnight on December 31. The park will open a half hour earlier from December 31 through January 6, at 8:30 a.m. Early entry will begin at 8:00 a.m.

On all days except December 31, Disney’s Hollywood Studios will close at 9:00 p.m.

Lastly, Disney’s Animal Kingdom has gained an extra hour in the mornings every day from December 31 through January 22, as well as on January 26 and 27. The park will open at 8:00 a.m., with early entry at 7:30 a.m.

It will stay open an extra hour on New Year’s Eve, until 8:00 p.m. The park will also close at 8:00 p.m. on January 4 and 5. From January 1 through 3, it will close at 7:00 p.m. The park will close at 6:00 p.m. every other day through January 27.

Pirates of the Caribbean Turns 50 at Walt Disney World

Ahoy, me hearties! Today, one of the most beloved attractions in Disney history, Pirates of the Caribbean, marks its 50th anniversary at Walt Disney World Resort! And to celebrate, we’re diggin’ in our Blog archive full o’ treasure to spy a few classic photos of the attraction in Magic Kingdom Park and more.

Pirates of the Caribbean construction at Magic Kingdom Park

As many of you know, Pirates of the Caribbean debuted at Florida’s Magic Kingdom Park in 1973 and was one of the park’s first major additions after its 1971 opening. Look closely at the first rare photo from our archives and you’ll see what future Disney World adventurers saw – the chance to sail the high seas with pirates “Opening Christmas 1973.”

Construction walls around the making of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Magic Kingdom Parks in 1973

Behind the walls in the image above, history was in the making at the spot where riders would board a weathered barge for a treacherous voyage to the 17th century when rowdy rogues and rapscallions ransacked Caribbean seaport towns.

Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom Park

Once the attraction opened, Disney World guests would find themselves sailing past Dead Man’s Cove, navigating cannon fire between a Caribbean fort, singing along with pirates to their anthem, “Yo Ho, Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me)” and enjoying other unforgettable pirate experiences.

Walt Disney and an Imagineer working on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride

The first Pirates of the Caribbean attraction opened at Disneyland park in 1967. And as we shared here on the Disney Parks Blog a decade ago, it was one of the last attractions Walt personally oversaw the creation of back in the 1960s. It remains one of the most immersive attractions ever created for a theme park!

Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom Park

Of course, we’re just touching on some of the attraction’s history today but if you’re as big a fan of Pirates of the Caribbean as we are, then you’ll want to check out the Pirates of the Caribbean episode of the Original series “Behind the Attraction,” now streaming on Disney+.

Pirates of the Caribbean attraction

The Disney+ episode explores how Walt loved adventure stories, especially those that featured swashbuckling pirates. It features interesting stories like a look at how the attraction was initially conceived as a wax museum but technological advances convinced Walt that a more sophisticated attraction could be created using state-of-the-art Audio-Animatronics figures.

A new Pirates of the Caribbean-themed lounge is coming to Adventureland at Magic Kingdom Park

Also, there’s more to come at Disney World with a first-of-its-kind experience that’ll extend the story of Pirates of the Caribbean. At Destination D23, we shared the exciting update that a special Pirates of the Caribbean-themed lounge is coming to Adventureland at Magic Kingdom Park.

So, Pirates of the Caribbean fans – be sure to keep yeeye on the Disney Parks Blog for more on the new Disney World experience and other treasures in the future.

Since it’s been mostly quiet on any news here’s a RUMOR:

“Could something finally be coming to the building formerly housing Voyage of the Little Mermaid at Disney’s Hollywood Studios?

While we have no concrete information about what the new show/attraction will be, we know that crews will be touring the area in the coming days.

Some sort of announcement is expected soon after that, potentially before the end of the year.

Of course, as with all rumors, take this with a grain of salt until officially announced by Disney.”

Orlando Theme Parks News

“Could something finally be coming to the building formerly housing Voyage of the Little Mermaid at Disney’s Hollywood Studios?

While we have no concrete information about what the new show/attraction will be, we know that crews will be touring the area in the coming days.

Some sort of announcement is expected soon after that, potentially before the end of the year.

Of course, as with all rumors, take this with a grain of salt until officially announced by Disney.”

Orlando Theme Parks News
Hoping this is a rumor that comes to be true!

Orlando Theme Parks News
I have an idea for what can go in that space. How about a dark ride that is a tribute and celebration of the golden age of Hollywood films. You can even call it the Great Movie Ride!

Orlando Theme Parks News
I bet we get an Encanto show. Disney shoved Frozen into DHS. Encanto makes sense next for a singalong.

I bet we get an Encanto show. Disney shoved Frozen into DHS. Encanto makes sense next for a singalong.
I've been saying for the last year that they should do an Encanto show in there with tech from the Bourne Stuntacular.... Large immersive background screen synced to moving foreground sets. They pioneered the tech with the Mandolarian set.

I feel bad for families who booked intending for their 11 and 12yo to be in the Oceaneer Club and Lab. It's also about the freedom the Edge offers the kids. Some 11 and 12 yo are ready to move about the ship on their own but not all are.

I wish they'd given more than 2 weeks notice for this massive change!!
We are sailing in March. My daughter will be 10 then and luckily she can still go. I think at 11 she would still want to be able to go to the kids club, so it's a bummer she won't be able to if we cruise again.

My son was done with the kids club by 10. Every kid is different so I do wish they had left some overlap.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2023/12/disneys-animal-kingdom-welcomes-new-baby-elephant/

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Welcomes New Baby Elephant

Sat, December 16, 2023

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Welcomes New Baby Elephant​

Scott Terrell

by Scott Terrell, DVM, DACVP, Director of Animal & Science Operations, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts

The holidays are a time to celebrate the heartwarming moments in life, and we’re extra thankful this year because for the first time in seven years, an African elephant calf was born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom!
African elephant calf Corra born at Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort

The beautiful baby elephant is backstage bonding with mom Nadirah, and she is already bringing plenty of joy to our animal care team this holiday season. And at just 218 pounds, she is absolutely adorable! African elephant births like these are carefully planned through the Association of Zoos and Aquariums Species Survival Plan. This program helps ensure the responsible breeding of endangered animals in managed care.
African elephant mom Nadirah with her new calf Corra, born at Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort
African elephant mom Nadirah with her new calf Corra, born at Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort

This is Nadirah’s first calf, making this birth extra special because Nadirah herself was born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in 2005, making her the first second-generation calf. Since this is Nadirah’s first birth, her sister Luna was there to guide and comfort her throughout the process. The calf will soon get to meet her grandma, Donna, and her other aunt, Stella, too. It’s common for adult females in the herd to assist in raising young elephants until they are considered to be independent, typically around 8 years old. Meaning, these family bonds will only grow stronger as the calf gets older.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Welcomes New Baby Elephant Corra

Nadirah became pregnant through natural breeding in early 2022, and she’s received special care from our animal care team for the entirety of her nearly 22-month pregnancy. It takes a team of dedicated cast members to care for a pregnant elephant and eventually, her newborn calf.
Under the expert care of animal keepers, our veterinary team and scientists, mother and baby will undergo continued post-natal exams and spend several days bonding before they are ready to join the rest of the herd. During this bonding period, the elephant team is watching for the pair to share key moments like successful nursing and weight gain.

From animal keepers who carefully observed the expecting mom to endocrinologists who monitored hormone patterns and veterinarians who helped manage the overall health of the calf, we’ll be sharing all the major milestones that led up to the birth and beyond. Check back on the Disney Parks Blog for updates and sweet behind-the-scenes moments with mom Nadirah and her newborn baby girl named Corra!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2023/12/disneys-animal-kingdom-welcomes-new-baby-elephant/

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Welcomes New Baby Elephant

Sat, December 16, 2023

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Welcomes New Baby Elephant​

Scott Terrell

by Scott Terrell, DVM, DACVP, Director of Animal & Science Operations, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts

The holidays are a time to celebrate the heartwarming moments in life, and we’re extra thankful this year because for the first time in seven years, an African elephant calf was born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom!
African elephant calf Corra born at Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort

The beautiful baby elephant is backstage bonding with mom Nadirah, and she is already bringing plenty of joy to our animal care team this holiday season. And at just 218 pounds, she is absolutely adorable! African elephant births like these are carefully planned through the Association of Zoos and Aquariums Species Survival Plan. This program helps ensure the responsible breeding of endangered animals in managed care.
African elephant mom Nadirah with her new calf Corra, born at Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort
African elephant mom Nadirah with her new calf Corra, born at Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort

This is Nadirah’s first calf, making this birth extra special because Nadirah herself was born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in 2005, making her the first second-generation calf. Since this is Nadirah’s first birth, her sister Luna was there to guide and comfort her throughout the process. The calf will soon get to meet her grandma, Donna, and her other aunt, Stella, too. It’s common for adult females in the herd to assist in raising young elephants until they are considered to be independent, typically around 8 years old. Meaning, these family bonds will only grow stronger as the calf gets older.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Welcomes New Baby Elephant Corra

Nadirah became pregnant through natural breeding in early 2022, and she’s received special care from our animal care team for the entirety of her nearly 22-month pregnancy. It takes a team of dedicated cast members to care for a pregnant elephant and eventually, her newborn calf.
Under the expert care of animal keepers, our veterinary team and scientists, mother and baby will undergo continued post-natal exams and spend several days bonding before they are ready to join the rest of the herd. During this bonding period, the elephant team is watching for the pair to share key moments like successful nursing and weight gain.

From animal keepers who carefully observed the expecting mom to endocrinologists who monitored hormone patterns and veterinarians who helped manage the overall health of the calf, we’ll be sharing all the major milestones that led up to the birth and beyond. Check back on the Disney Parks Blog for updates and sweet behind-the-scenes moments with mom Nadirah and her newborn baby girl named Corra!
We did the Caring for Giants tour on December 2 and the tourguide mentioned Nadirah would be heading backstage soon so that she wouldn't have her baby out in front of guests. I guess she made it backstage just in time! So cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter