Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

4 Reasons to Get Excited For the 25th Anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom

From special merchandise to nature-themed food and beverage offerings to adventurous in-park experiences, there are so many opportunities to celebrate. Check out these four ways below!

1. TREE’t Yourself with 25th Anniversary-Inspired Merchandise

In honor of this milestone, you can show off your love for the park with items from the new Disney’s Animal Kingdom 25th Anniversary collection, available starting April 21 for a limited time at Island Mercantile, Discovery Trading Company and Mombasa Marketplace. The earthy collection includes everything from a commemorative Spirit Jersey to a tumbler and a pocket tee. Guests can also find a limited-edition commemorative Earth Month pin available for purchase now at select retail locations in the park. All of these items add up to the perfect “OOTPD” (outfit of the park day) for your next trip to Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

• aktfag47947843681a.jpg
  • aktfag47947843681b.jpg
  • aktfag47947843681d.jpg
  • aktfag47947843681e.jpg
  • aktfag47947843681c.jpg
Also, the excitement doesn’t stop there. Coming soon is a 25th Anniversary Mini Loungefly Backpack and bucket hat that you won’t want to miss out on!

• aktfag47947843682a.jpg
  • aktfag47947843682b.jpg

2. Take Your Taste Buds on an Adventure With Commemorative Menu Offerings

What’s a Walt Disney World celebration without some delicious treats? Throughout Earth Month and on the 25th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, you can enjoy new food and beverage offerings that celebrate this unique park.

• aktfag47947843683a.jpg
  • aktfag47947843683b.jpg
New items debuting throughout Disney’s Animal Kingdom exclusively on April 22 include the Colossal Elephant Roll and the 25th Anniversary Alive with Magic Cupcake. At Tiffins Restaurant, guests can enjoy a 25th Anniversary Dessert Platter, or they can dig into a 25th Anniversary Earth Tart at Tusker House Restaurant.

Additional Earth Month-themed sweets and sips will be available in the park throughout April, like the Bee Hive Mousse Dome and Flamingo Cupcake as well as the Bubbling Pink Lagoon and Viva Gaia Tonic drinks. Fun fact: The Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail Sundae features a white chocolate image of Kejana, one of the beloved gorillas you can see in the park.

All of these items and more can be found in the Disney Eats Earth Month Foodie Guide.

3. Strike a Wild Pose with Friends and Family

aktfag47947843684-1024x476.jpg

Starting April 16, Disney PhotoPass Service will offer photo ops in celebration of Earth Month and the park’s 25th anniversary! You can enjoy special props, Magic Shots and more to celebrate when you visit Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

In the spirit of sustainability, the 25th anniversary sign prop is made completely out of recycled materials, including upcycled sign backers as well as cast member costumes and patches.

4. Explore Commemorative Wilderness Experiences

aktfag47947843685.jpg

Adventure is out there at Disney’s Animal Kingdom this month, and as someone who loves to draw, I am most excited about The Animation Experience at Conservation Station. During the month of April, you can learn to draw characters like Dumbo, Terk from “Tarzan,” Crush or Bruce from “Finding Nemo,” Tigger from “Winnie the Pooh” or Simba from “The Lion King”! Adventure doesn’t stop there though; from April 16 to April 23, Wilderness Explorers have the opportunity to earn a special badge by completing a limited-time nature challenge.

To experience the 25th anniversary celebration on April 22 and the rest of the guest-favorite thrills throughout the park, you must have a valid park ticket and a park reservation for Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Also, be sure to keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog for more exciting information leading up to the 25th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park!

My husband wants that backpack. We will be there on the 22nd (and later in the trip), but I'm wondering if it will sell out before we get a chance to buy it. We will see.

Also, I think will be really expensive, so may be a blessing if it sells out. :)

The DVC Disney Sorcerer Pass will be available for eligible Disney Vacation Club Members to purchase online tomorrow, April 13, no earlier than 6 a.m. ET.

View attachment 752772

Brooke Geiger McDonald Twitter

A few notes: An eligible DVC member who wants to do monthly payment plans (only available to Florida residents) will need to wait until April 20.

Scott Gustin Twitter
Hopefully it will be possible to upgrade existing MYO tickets online to this pass. It would save them a lot of calls!

Mama Odie to Appear in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, Plus More Updates

Concept art first look at Mama Odie to Appear in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure

The magic of the bayou is calling, so listen closely because we’re “digging a little deeper” into the experience guests can expect from the future attraction coming to Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure! The enchantment of the bayou will illuminate with a celebration during Mardi Gras season hosted by Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen. And today, I’m thrilled to announce that Mama Odie will reprise her role as the catalyst to that magic.
Mama Odie inside Tiana's Bayou Adventure concept art coming soon to Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World

As depicted in this newly released rendering, Mama Odie jokes with guests along their journey after a special display of her magic. The two-hundred-year-old Bayou Fairy Godmother, with her eccentric belongings and “seeing eye snake,” Juju, is comically eccentric, yet wise and all-knowing, throughout the adventure. We’re so delighted that legendary actress Jenifer Lewis, who starred as the voice of Mama Odie in Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “The Princess and the Frog, is once again returning to her role for the attraction.
Legendary actress Jenifer Lewis posing with Disney's Tiana at 2023 New Orleans Disney event

If Mama Odie is a catalyst to the magic, then Sharika Mahdi is a catalyst to the Imagineers’ creations. This New Orleans artist and YAYA Arts Center alumna has inspired our work on the attraction with a local’s perspective. As we bring our attention to Mama Odie and the important role she plays in Tiana’s story, I’d like to share the latest in a four-part series commissioned to Sharika: a tribute to our wise and whimsical keeper of the bayou.
Sharika Mahdi New Orleans artist and YAYA Arts Center alumna four-part series artwork tribute to our wise and whimsical keeper of the bayou Mama Odie

Notice how the long, flowing brush strokes offer visual cues for the floating journey that lies ahead in Tiana’s premier attraction. Along with “The Princess and the Frog” film, our team continues to use Sharika’s latest piece as inspiration for how Mama Odie will appear throughout the attraction. You may see evidence of this in the resemblance of the images above depicting Mama Odie.
Mama Odie joins a cast of friends – familiar and new – in Princess Tiana’s debut attraction. In December, we shared how a band of newly introduced critters will provide some of the soundtrack to your journey. In February, we shared the backstory behind the water tower that will punctuate the exterior. But what else is in store? Here’s a sample of what to expect from this musical adventure:
  • Brand-new cast of original Disney characters with distinct names and personalities
  • Dozens of entirely new Audio-Animatronics figures
  • Adorable critters with incredible talent, bringing the diverse flavors of musical gumbo found in New Orleans!
  • New, original music alongside favorite tunes from the film
  • Do you love beignets as much as Louis? Well, you’re in luck because the alluring scent of beignets being prepared for the party will be part of the attraction queue!
  • Additional talent voices from the film reprising their roles, including Bruno Campos as Prince Naveen, Michael Leon Wooley as Louis, and the one and only Anika Noni Rose as Princess Tiana
  • Familiar faces from the film such as Princess Tiana, Prince Naveen, Mama Odie, Louis, Eudora, Charlotte, “Big Daddy,” the King and Queen of Maldonia and Prince Ralphie
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure builds on the story of Princess Tiana, a character whose pride and perseverance reminds us of a universal truth: within us lies the potential to make our dreams come true. This all-new adventure will bring Disney Parks guests into Princess Tiana’s world like never before when the attraction opens in Disneyland park at Disneyland Resort and Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort in 2024.

Last edited:

I don't know if it would have had the space to pull it off, but a restaurant with a view of the attraction (similar to pirates in california) would have been cool.
I've always liked the Pirates concept. I feel like they need a ride with an integral restaurant, where when done eating you get a "fast pass" for the attached attraction.

similar to the below
3 cabellaros/san Angel
small world/Pinocchio village haus
Living with the land/garden grill

Obviously not knowing their final plans, they have also shown they can take an attraction from fear/dread anticipation to a more lighthearted/fun anticipation of thrilling elements (Disneyland ToT to Mission Breakout).

I have to say, this update gave me a sigh of relief, where the last one sounded.... less than I had been hoping for. I wonder if the initial reaction was not as positive as they hoped, because some of this kind of seems like what many vocalized that they were looking for.

P.S. @HokieRaven5 As many times as I see your name I can't believe I haven't said "Go Hokies!" yet! :)

I have to say, this update gave me a sigh of relief, where the last one sounded.... less than I had been hoping for. I wonder if the initial reaction was not as positive as they hoped, because some of this kind of seems like what many vocalized that they were looking for.

P.S. @HokieRaven5 As many times as I see your name I can't believe I haven't said "Go Hokies!" yet! :)
Yeah Disney probably overshared on the queue backstory bit and should’ve saved it for after this announcement. Don’t think it would’ve gotten the same reaction.

Go Hokies!!

Mama Odie to Appear in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, Plus More Updates

Concept art first look at Mama Odie to Appear in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure

The magic of the bayou is calling, so listen closely because we’re “digging a little deeper” into the experience guests can expect from the future attraction coming to Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure! The enchantment of the bayou will illuminate with a celebration during Mardi Gras season hosted by Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen. And today, I’m thrilled to announce that Mama Odie will reprise her role as the catalyst to that magic.
Mama Odie inside Tiana's Bayou Adventure concept art coming soon to Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World's Bayou Adventure concept art coming soon to Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World

As depicted in this newly released rendering, Mama Odie jokes with guests along their journey after a special display of her magic. The two-hundred-year-old Bayou Fairy Godmother, with her eccentric belongings and “seeing eye snake,” Juju, is comically eccentric, yet wise and all-knowing, throughout the adventure. We’re so delighted that legendary actress Jenifer Lewis, who starred as the voice of Mama Odie in Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “The Princess and the Frog, is once again returning to her role for the attraction.
Legendary actress Jenifer Lewis posing with Disney's Tiana at 2023 New Orleans Disney event's Tiana at 2023 New Orleans Disney event

If Mama Odie is a catalyst to the magic, then Sharika Mahdi is a catalyst to the Imagineers’ creations. This New Orleans artist and YAYA Arts Center alumna has inspired our work on the attraction with a local’s perspective. As we bring our attention to Mama Odie and the important role she plays in Tiana’s story, I’d like to share the latest in a four-part series commissioned to Sharika: a tribute to our wise and whimsical keeper of the bayou.
Sharika Mahdi New Orleans artist and YAYA Arts Center alumna four-part series artwork tribute to our wise and whimsical keeper of the bayou Mama Odie

Notice how the long, flowing brush strokes offer visual cues for the floating journey that lies ahead in Tiana’s premier attraction. Along with “The Princess and the Frog” film, our team continues to use Sharika’s latest piece as inspiration for how Mama Odie will appear throughout the attraction. You may see evidence of this in the resemblance of the images above depicting Mama Odie.
Mama Odie joins a cast of friends – familiar and new – in Princess Tiana’s debut attraction. In December, we shared how a band of newly introduced critters will provide some of the soundtrack to your journey. In February, we shared the backstory behind the water tower that will punctuate the exterior. But what else is in store? Here’s a sample of what to expect from this musical adventure:
  • Brand-new cast of original Disney characters with distinct names and personalities
  • Dozens of entirely new Audio-Animatronics figures
  • Adorable critters with incredible talent, bringing the diverse flavors of musical gumbo found in New Orleans!
  • New, original music alongside favorite tunes from the film
  • Do you love beignets as much as Louis? Well, you’re in luck because the alluring scent of beignets being prepared for the party will be part of the attraction queue!
  • Additional talent voices from the film reprising their roles, including Bruno Campos as Prince Naveen, Michael Leon Wooley as Louis, and the one and only Anika Noni Rose as Princess Tiana
  • Familiar faces from the film such as Princess Tiana, Prince Naveen, Mama Odie, Louis, Eudora, Charlotte, “Big Daddy,” the King and Queen of Maldonia and Prince Ralphie
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure builds on the story of Princess Tiana, a character whose pride and perseverance reminds us of a universal truth: within us lies the potential to make our dreams come true. This all-new adventure will bring Disney Parks guests into Princess Tiana’s world like never before when the attraction opens in Disneyland park at Disneyland Resort and Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort in 2024.
If they’re piping the smell of beignets in the queue, they darn well better have some waiting for me to buy at the end!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter