• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Exactly!

You're right, harsh is not the right term. It's just that folks don't usually see RT ratings with the kind of nuance you describe, imo. So I'll clarify what I mean: movies that don't fare well with critics can be very enjoyable, but my sense is that seeing a movie rating as rotten = "bad movie, don't watch it" for a lot of people.

ETA: RT's audience score is 83%. Not bad.

Yeah, that's why I really hate the concept behind Rotten Tomatoes. You can't put a number value on every review - sometimes reviews are mixed, but they don't say the movie is bad, and yet it will be considered a rotten. You really have to read the review to understand it, but people just want the number.

Yeah, HM is still a pretty minor IP to be honest. It has its hardcore fans for sure (like ME for one), but it isn't super recognized. Unfortunately, they haven't had the kind of breakthrough hit that POTC had with its first movie.

Jungle Cruise was kinda the same way. they treat it like a franchise movie, but it just isn't that big of a thing. That movie was also pretty good, but just not quite special enough to be more than it is. I think I like it a little better than this new HM movie though.
Just got back from seeing it, agree with your assessment and think it's mainly going to appeal to hardcore HM fans like myself. I loved seeing all the mansion bits, more so than what was present in the Eddie Murphy version. Also loved that my favorite ghost plays such a large role. That being said, I believe it's going to be another box office flop for Disney. It's so, so niche and what were they thinking releasing it in the summer? Why not capitalize on an October/Halloween release to get a larger share of movegoers? Also, why for the love of all that is, did they not coordinate the Hatbox Ghost materializing at WDW with the release of the film? Seriously do the divisions not communicate at all in Disney?? Maybe I'm just too into the mansion to be objective, but I think there was some lost opportunity here.

EDIT to add: Was at a 12:30 PM matinee in a 250+ seat theater to see the movie and it was only me and one other person in the whole theater. Yikes!

Last edited:

Regarding the release, I wonder if this is really just trying to get *some* money from fans while it's in theaters, but with an earlier release it can be on Disney+ by October. Perhaps it's another example of the company prioritizing D+
D+ release is almost definitely a factor here.

As predicted by everyone, based on Thursday box office it looks like Haunted Mansion will probably be a distant 3rd behind the Barbie and Oppenheimer juggernaut

Barbenheimer Stays Strong

Caught Oppenheimer at the closest IMAX monsterplex this morning. From my observation Barbie was doing well on multiple screens and a morning IMAX Oppie was sold out. I asked the staff about Haunted Mansion and they said it was doing OK for the evening but very few people for the matinees. Ninja Turtles sneak preview was packed.

... As an aside, Oppenheimer is a masterclass in filmmaking. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Nolan's directing and Göransson's score combined to make 3 hours of zero action feel like 45 minutes!

I've read that Nolan is done with superheroes but may be open to a Star Wars film ... Please give Nolan a shot at a Star Wars project ::yes:: ... preferably Old or High Republic era

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter