Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Disney parks blog post with some more info:

1900 Park Fare Reopens April 10 at Disney’s Grand Floridian

Here are five things to look forward to when you return:

1. Wish Upon a Star with Favorite Disney Characters

Because meals are best enjoyed alongside friends, a few familiar faces will stop by throughout breakfast and dinner — some for the first time at this location! In this refreshed character dining experience, you’ll be joined by Aladdin in his Prince Ali look, Cinderella, Mirabel and Tiana in her new look for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure as they celebrate the power of a wish.

2. Enjoy a Feast Fit for Royalty

An enchanting buffet will be served for breakfast and dinner, featuring some returning guest favorites — yes, that includes the strawberry soup! — along with new menu offerings dreamed up by our talented chefs to pay tribute to some of the characters and stories you’ll encounter throughout the restaurant.

3. Look for Nods to the Restaurant’s Heritage

Fans of 1900 Park Fare will remember Big Bertha, an antique organ that has called the resort home since 1988. Look for her in the main dining room, where she’s on display as its grand centerpiece!

Artwork for the reopening of 1900 Park Fare at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa on April 10

Just like before, carousel theming is woven throughout the restaurant — starting with the impressive new mural shown above, which will serve as the focal point of the restaurant’s entrance. In one of the adjoining dining rooms, you’ll find drawings of carousel animals inspired by classic Disney films like “Alice in Wonderland” and “The Little Mermaid.” Keep an eye out for other hidden carousel details when you visit!

4. Delight in Exclusive New Artwork

The artistic touches continue throughout the main dining room, where you’ll also find twelve new portraits created exclusively for the restaurant by Disney artists. Each one, inspired by the impressionist art style of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, features a different Disney character as they hope, dream and wish upon a star (or even a magic lamp or a wishing well).

5. Celebrate Traditions and Create New Ones

Over the years, 1900 Park Fare has been the backdrop of so many of our guests’ favorite vacation memories — mine included! At the heart of this unique restaurant is the magic and whimsy of turn-of-the-century gardens and fairgrounds, where people of all ages came together to enjoy each other’s company. The spirit of those carefree days spent outdoors is brought to life with each detail big and small, making it the perfect place to create new memories with loved ones.

Reservations for 1900 Park Fare open on March 5 at DisneyWorld.com

I will disagree that it's every bit as good as the original since the animation, while good for DTV lacks the environmental detail and massive scale the original has, plus the score is quite lacking in comparison to Hans Zimmer's absolutely unbeatable score, BUT it does have some great songs, characters (except Timon and Pumbaa are not written very well for this, unfortunately), is generally re-watchable and I do enjoy it.

I think it would have easily been better (and some things would have made more sense as well as had way more impact) if they had kept all of the scenes they deleted/cut in the final film. The original is my all time favorite film so that's tough to beat for me of course. Lion King 1 1/2 has objectively better animation and original characters are drawn more on model than II and we get to see teen Simba which is great, but it's not quite as re-watchable for me as II.
Well said, pretty much sums it up for me as well (except for the "all-time favorite film" part, I just recognize it as the masterpiece that it is and I do love it)

Relatedly, the Lion King wasn't expected to be as big as it was, it was made by mostly "B-team" animators because the main animators were working on Pocahontas, which was thought to be the more important and profitable film. And then the Lion King became the highest grossing animated film of all time! Remembering this gives me hope for Moana 2 (thinking of D+ as more of a B-team as compared to the film studio). Reportedly Iger saw footage and was impressed, contributing to the decision to make it a movie.

Latest Timeline from Disney of current projects from Q1 Meeting:
View attachment 832476
Probably overanalyzing, but it is interesting that Poly Tower is "Late 2024" and is before Tiana's Bayou Adventure that used to be "Late 2024" and now simply "2024"... shoot, where did I put my tinfoil hat.

So, I feel like the characters miss the mark a little. CInderella and Aladdin are pretty anachronistic to the time. Tinana and Mirabel are much closer to the turn of the century, when a carousel might be a fixture. I would have had them join Mary Poppins. It's not a super important detail, and something that could be changed easily enough, but still, just a little odd.

Well said, pretty much sums it up for me as well (except for the "all-time favorite film" part, I just recognize it as the masterpiece that it is and I do love it)

Relatedly, the Lion King wasn't expected to be as big as it was, it was made by mostly "B-team" animators because the main animators were working on Pocahontas, which was thought to be the more important and profitable film. And then the Lion King became the highest grossing animated film of all time! Remembering this gives me hope for Moana 2 (thinking of D+ as more of a B-team as compared to the film studio). Reportedly Iger saw footage and was impressed, contributing to the decision to make it a movie.

So, the Disney+ series was still being made by the studio proper, Walt Disney Animation Studio, however the animation work was mostly being done at the new Vancouver location. So it may be a "B Team" but it is more integrated than DisneyToon was back in the day (until Lasseter aligned them under his purview).

And then the Lion King became the highest grossing animated film of all time!
Well, I mean the Lion King still is the highest grossing animated movie of all time.................except that it was released in 2019 😁
So, I feel like the characters miss the mark a little. CInderella and Aladdin are pretty anachronistic to the time. Tinana and Mirabel are much closer to the turn of the century, when a carousel might be a fixture. I would have had them join Mary Poppins. It's not a super important detail, and something that could be changed easily enough, but still, just a little odd.
It does say "a few familiar faces" so I'm crossing my fingers that some of the previous characters return. The stepsisters and Lady Tremaine were great.

I actually liked Frozen 2 much more than the original.
I always thought Elsa's arc in the original had a pretty solid analogy to addiction and recovery ("Conceal, don't feel.") And I'm not the only one. Definitely not the only one. I went to WDW to celebrate my first year of sobriety, and made a point of visiting Elsa to thank her for telling my story--which has me crying all over again.

IMG_4539.jpeg

But Frozen 2 didn't even try to hide it. I mean, "The Next Right Thing"? Come on!

so Chris Pratt had to come wrangle it back into the pen
"They're quicker than you realize, Claire. They're quicker than she realizes!"

Brb telling my sister so we can eat there for our Memorial day weekend trip. One of the best character breakfasts IMO the characters are hilarious.
Agreed. Drizella and my father really had a back-and-forth that was one of a kind. Lady T even got into the action with my Dad and he gave the Hands of Stone "No Mas" verbally and physically because he was beaten thoroughly.

I doubt the same characters return. Doesn't fit TWDC's Inclusion Key, so they will likely be replaced.

An enchanting buffet will be served for breakfast and dinner, featuring some returning guest favorites — yes, that includes the strawberry soup! — along with new menu offerings dreamed up by our talented chefs to pay tribute to some of the characters and stories you’ll encounter throughout the restaurant.
I'll be interested to see the menu. I'm guessing you may see some New Orleans-style grub reflective of Tiana which would be great! Guess I'm getting up early on March 5 to snag an ADR. Looks like 4/13 works best with our schedule which will avoid the opening day rush of Vloggers...

Well, I mean the Lion King still is the highest grossing animated movie of all time.................except that it was released in 2019 😁

It does say "a few familiar faces" so I'm crossing my fingers that some of the previous characters return. The stepsisters and Lady Tremaine were great.

Did they have the Stepsisters there? I remember it being MAry Poppins and Alice and Hatter. I guess that works for Cinderella. Apparently her story takes place around the 1850's. It just doesn't seem that way I guess. Aladdin though....

It appears that TWDC is changing course of having IP streaming shows as a priority (for lack of a better term) for D+ programming, because Moana, Armor Wars and Mando are all now being switched from D+ streaming shows to theatrical movie releases. Plus, I don't like the release date because I am of the opinion that Wicked: Part 1 is going to perform huge box office numbers (like it may be the biggest box office of the year).
Not only will the D+ programming be moved to theatrical, but the COSTS will move with them, too. What does that mean? It means that PRESTO! - streaming's bottom line gets a boost just at the right time.

Did they have the Stepsisters there? I remember it being MAry Poppins and Alice and Hatter. I guess that works for Cinderella. Apparently her story takes place around the 1850's. It just doesn't seem that way I guess. Aladdin though....
Yes, the stepsisters and Lady Tremaine were only at dinner. Mary Poppins, Alice and Mad Hatter were breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter