Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Projection Mapped Dante Topiary Debuts at Flower & Garden
Coco Topiary Dante Projection Mapped0
With the 2024 International Flower & Garden Festival in full bloom at EPCOT, the park has come alive with amazing topiaries, beautiful gardens, and delicious food.

While Flower & Garden is a special time at EPCOT every year, Disney has added even more magic to this year’s festival with an illuminating Wish topiary, a musical Groot topiary, and a special Encanto version of Beacons of Magic.

Asha and Star

Asha and Star
Earlier today, Disney announced that projection mapping technology was set to debut at Flower & Garden tonight in the form of a special new Coco topiary.

We here at MickeyBlog had to check it out, and as you can imagine, it is truly a sight to behold!

Dante Lights Up the Night​

Located near the Mexico pavilion, the Miguel and Dante Coco topiaries were already beautiful.

Dante Coco Projection Mapped Topiary

As night began to fall on EPCOT, however, Dante slowly but surely began to illuminate.

Coco Topiary Dante Projection Mapped

By nightfall, Dante was fully glowing, really showing off his alebrije form.

As you can see, Miguel’s topiary is unlit at night, giving Dante a real moment to shine.

Here is a look at the projection-mapped topiary from another angle. He looks great!

Hopefully, Disney will continue to add these special touches to the Flower & Garden Festival. Between the Wish topiary, Spaceship Earth’s Beacons of Magic, and now Dante, the festival really comes to life at night.

So, next time you visit EPCOT, be sure to stick around through nightfall. You never know what you will see!
That looks amazing! I wish they would have lit Miguel too at night, it looks off balance to not have the whole topiary scene lit.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/remembering-disney-legend-carl-bongirno/

March 8, 2024

Remembering Disney Legend Carl Bongirno​

Disney Legend Carl Bongirno passed away on March 5, 2024, at age 86.

As a financial leader throughout Disney Parks history, Bongirno was at the forefront of a truly unprecedented decade of The Walt Disney Company’s growth, from EPCOT to Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. “We have more than 40 projects in various stages of design and construction,” Bongirno told Disney News in 1987. “In all, it’s approximately $2 billion worth of work.”

Born in Pueblo, Colorado, in 1937, Bongirno held multiple degrees in business and accounting, and joined The Walt Disney Company as a chief accountant and controller for what was then the Disney-owned Celebrity Sports Center in Denver in 1963. Later, his first step into the worlds of Disney Parks was a four-year stint as a treasurer for WED Enterprises.
1920_Carl-Bongirno-2-480x614.jpg

While serving as director of the Finance Division, Bongirno was part of the highly secretive “Project X,” which would become the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. “We bought 30,000 acres without anyone knowing,” Bongirno told his hometown newspaper, The Pueblo Chieftain. “Our people went there under assumed names and would take indirect flights.”

Of course, Walt Disney World would open to the public in 1971—and just a year later, Bongirno became vice president of finance and treasurer of the resort. He was not only responsible for all financial matters, but he also had overall responsibility for all service activities, including wardrobe, warehousing, transportation, laundry, and even the Disney telephone company.
1920_Bongirno-522x614.jpg

Due to health reasons, Bongirno stepped back from business activities in September 1987, instead serving as a special adviser to Walt Disney Imagineering—assisting with the development of special projects until his retirement in late June 1989. Bongirno and his family then returned to Pueblo, though he still frequented the Disney Parks, citing Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park as one of his new favorites. As result of his decades of important service to The Walt Disney Company, Bongirno was named a Disney Legend in 2007.
1920_WDAPL_2016_November_07_TP_0225_am-614x410.jpg

No matter if he was in Florida or Colorado, it seemed his mind was always connected to the Disney magic. As he explained in 1987, “EPCOT and all of Disney’s attractions will always be in a ‘state of becoming’… Our Imagineers will always be discovering new frontiers. It’s a process that I believe makes Imagineering the most unique design organization in the world.”

Bongirno was preceded in death by his wife, Carolyn; parents, Ann and Sam Bongirno; brothers, John and Sam. He is survived by his children, Cara (Bret) Griebenow and Chris (Tiffany) Bongirno; and grandchildren, Ryan, Anthony, and Jordan. A service will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, March 12, at Roselawn Chapel in Pueblo, Colorado, with a reception to follow.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/walt-disney-imagineering-president-barbara-162400541.html

Disney Imagineering chief Barbara Bouza leaves, citing tensions in division
by Dewayne Bevil, Orlando Sentinel
Updated Sat, March 9, 2024 at 1:34 PM CST

Barbara Bouza, president of Walt Disney Imagineering since late 2021, revealed Saturday she is leaving her job.

In an Instagram post on her account, she referred to angst stemming from plans to move staff from California to Lake Nona in Orlando, job cuts, pandemic pressures and “unprecedented hyper-escalation on projects” as part of her tenure.

“It is bittersweet as I wrap up my work as president of Walt Disney Imagineering this month before I create an even bigger impact for the world,” she wrote.

Bouza also saluted Imagineers and their projects, which have “fueled the turbocharged growth of Disney Experience through $60 billion of investment over the next 10 years.”

Robert Iger, CEO of Walt Disney Co., has announced plans to spend that amount on as-yet-unspecified theme-park projects in Disney parks around the world over the next decade.

Walt Disney Imagineering workers were among about 2,000 people to be transferred from their Southern California base to Disney’s $1 billion Lake Nona campus. That project was announced in July 2021 but dropped in May 2023 for what the company called “changing business conditions.”

The cancellation came after Iger revealed plans in February 2023 to lay off 7,000 workers, about 3% of its global workforce of 220,000. Layoffs were planned for every division of the company as it tried to save $5.5 billion in costs.

The Lake Nona campus was also axed amid the company’s battle with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. The governor and Florida Legislature dissolved the Reedy Creek Improvement District, Walt Disney World’s governmental body, after Disney’s then-CEO Bob Chapek vowed to fight for repeal of the Parental Bill of Rights law, which opponents dubbed “Don’t Say Gay.”

The law limits instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity in public schools.

Chapek was ousted by Disney’s board on Nov. 20 and replaced by Iger, who was returning to the company’s helm after leaving in 2020.

Bouza’s post did not elaborate on her future. She said WDI would be in the hands of chief creative officer Bruce Vaughn, “an exceptional creative leader.”

Bouza came to Imagineering in 2020 to oversee its business management, design and development. She replaced Bob Weis, who resigned in 2021. Before Disney, she served as co-managing director, principal, for Gensler Los Angeles.

“As a licensed architect, I was recruited by the Walt Disney Company to challenge the norm and bring broader global industry perspective and expertise,” she wrote. “Joining Walt Disney Imagineering in June of 2020, I truly believed humanity needed Disney more than ever.”

Vaughn worked at Disney for more than two decades before leaving in 2016. He returned to Imagineering to co-lead WDI with Bouza last year.

dbevil@orlandosentinel.com

https://www.yahoo.com/news/walt-disney-imagineering-president-barbara-162400541.html

Disney Imagineering chief Barbara Bouza leaves, citing tensions in division
by Dewayne Bevil, Orlando Sentinel
Updated Sat, March 9, 2024 at 1:34 PM CST

Barbara Bouza, president of Walt Disney Imagineering since late 2021, revealed Saturday she is leaving her job.

In an Instagram post on her account, she referred to angst stemming from plans to move staff from California to Lake Nona in Orlando, job cuts, pandemic pressures and “unprecedented hyper-escalation on projects” as part of her tenure.

“It is bittersweet as I wrap up my work as president of Walt Disney Imagineering this month before I create an even bigger impact for the world,” she wrote.

Bouza also saluted Imagineers and their projects, which have “fueled the turbocharged growth of Disney Experience through $60 billion of investment over the next 10 years.”

Robert Iger, CEO of Walt Disney Co., has announced plans to spend that amount on as-yet-unspecified theme-park projects in Disney parks around the world over the next decade.

Walt Disney Imagineering workers were among about 2,000 people to be transferred from their Southern California base to Disney’s $1 billion Lake Nona campus. That project was announced in July 2021 but dropped in May 2023 for what the company called “changing business conditions.”

The cancellation came after Iger revealed plans in February 2023 to lay off 7,000 workers, about 3% of its global workforce of 220,000. Layoffs were planned for every division of the company as it tried to save $5.5 billion in costs.

The Lake Nona campus was also axed amid the company’s battle with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. The governor and Florida Legislature dissolved the Reedy Creek Improvement District, Walt Disney World’s governmental body, after Disney’s then-CEO Bob Chapek vowed to fight for repeal of the Parental Bill of Rights law, which opponents dubbed “Don’t Say Gay.”

The law limits instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity in public schools.

Chapek was ousted by Disney’s board on Nov. 20 and replaced by Iger, who was returning to the company’s helm after leaving in 2020.

Bouza’s post did not elaborate on her future. She said WDI would be in the hands of chief creative officer Bruce Vaughn, “an exceptional creative leader.”

Bouza came to Imagineering in 2020 to oversee its business management, design and development. She replaced Bob Weis, who resigned in 2021. Before Disney, she served as co-managing director, principal, for Gensler Los Angeles.

“As a licensed architect, I was recruited by the Walt Disney Company to challenge the norm and bring broader global industry perspective and expertise,” she wrote. “Joining Walt Disney Imagineering in June of 2020, I truly believed humanity needed Disney more than ever.”

Vaughn worked at Disney for more than two decades before leaving in 2016. He returned to Imagineering to co-lead WDI with Bouza last year.

dbevil@orlandosentinel.com
Im hoping that D23 will have great parks news now!

Am I the only one who was wowed by the fact that the grandkids, even Abigail who is often very outspoken again Disney, wrote in support of Iger and the current board in the current proxy battle? Like, if Abigail is against you over the Disney management that she regularly slams, how bad are you? Or is it just that they figure the new people would be bigger pushovers and easier to oust from power?
It is pretty weird to see Abigail on the side of Iger. She even made a point in her statement about having differences with Iger, but she sees that these new groups want to dismantle a lot of the company, which at least Iger does not want to do.
Kill the beast! 😂
View attachment 839859

Sorry, this song kept ringing in my head after reading your comment 😉
A new idea came to my head: I think, once this proxy battle ends, Walt and Roy O.'s grandchildren (or at least one or two of them) should join the Disney company board. I'm sure they could help fix the company, its image, and its brand, along with speeding up the process in finding Iger's successor.

A new idea came to my head: I think, once this proxy battle ends, Walt and Roy O.'s grandchildren (or at least one or two of them) should join the Disney company board. I'm sure they could help fix the company, its image, and its brand, along with speeding up the process in finding Iger's successor.
While it might seem like a good idea on the outside to have a Disney on the board if they don’t have anything else to offer not sure it’s a good move

Over the years, I've hoped that the third generation might become more involved with the company. But history doesn't support that likelihood.

Abigail Disney, daughter of Roy Edward and granddaughter of Roy Oliver (Walt's brother) has been the only grandchild to talk about the company, and she is/was very disparaging of labor practices and senior management pay scales. She is also an outspoken critic of free enterprise and has had nothing good to say about her father. Strange that she hasn't unburdened herself of all that money someone else earned and left to her.

Walt's grandchildren's only involvement is the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco. Just two years ago they sold the wine business that their parents (Ron & Dianne Miller) built from scratch, Silverado Wineries. They cashed in to the tune of $150 million or more.

In all the years of following the company's ups and downs, I've not read of any significant involvement from the Miller children toward the the Walt Disney Company.

I can't help but wonder what kind of pecuniary incentive Bob Iger promised all of them for their public support - and votes.

Over the years, I've hoped that the third generation might become more involved with the company. But history doesn't support that likelihood.

Abigail Disney, daughter of Roy Edward and granddaughter of Roy Oliver (Walt's brother) has been the only grandchild to talk about the company, and she is/was very disparaging of labor practices and senior management pay scales. She is also an outspoken critic of free enterprise and has had nothing good to say about her father. Strange that she hasn't unburdened herself of all that money someone else earned and left to her.

Walt's grandchildren's only involvement is the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco. Just two years ago they sold the wine business that their parents (Ron & Dianne Miller) built from scratch, Silverado Wineries. They cashed in to the tune of $150 million or more.

In all the years of following the company's ups and downs, I've not read of any significant involvement from the Miller children toward the the Walt Disney Company.

I can't help but wonder what kind of pecuniary incentive Bob Iger promised all of them for their public support - and votes.
He doesn’t have that kind of power and wouldn’t risk it. Do you honestly think that the grandchildren’s comments carry significant weight with major stockholders?

He doesn’t have that kind of power and wouldn’t risk it. Do you honestly think that the grandchildren’s comments carry significant weight with major stockholders?
No reason to make speculation/conspiratorial thinking without evidence, anyway.

However, I do think the comments carry weight with a good portion of stockholders.

Anyone know where kids can get the Easter egg hunt maps in Epcot?
https://mickeyblog.com/2024/03/05/w...easter-eggs-at-epcots-flower-garden-festival/

The Egg-Stravaganza Hunt is a challenge to find all of the Disney-themed Easter eggs hidden around EPCOT. All you’ve gotta do is buy a map at select locations around the park for $9.99, and then find all the eggs!

We bought our map at Gateway Gifts, but you can also find them at places like Creations Shop, Disney Traders, and World Traveler. Once you’ve found all the eggs and have places the corresponding sticker on your map, you can take your map back to one of these locations and redeem it for a prize!

1710092895002.png

I was thinking more of Roy P. Disney, Abigail Disney, Susan Disney, and Tim Disney joining the board at The Walt Disney Company. The children of Ron W. and Dianne Miller would continue managing the Walt Disney Family Museum.

I was thinking more of Roy P. Disney, Abigail Disney, Susan Disney, and Tim Disney joining the board at The Walt Disney Company.
Do any of them have experience running an incredibly large, complex corporate organization?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter