• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Ha! I wasn't going to visit WDW until December when I'm taking my mother, but I might have to take a quick weekend get away this summer so DH and I can see it first together!
We'll opt for Disneyland next summer (2025) because we already lined up our summer vacation and the time we could get there in the fall is when DLR is the busiest. But man, that weekend before Thanksgiving sure looks like a great time to go to WDW or DLR. I'll see if we can hold out.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2024/04/ways-to-save-on-walt-disney-world-vacations/

Maybe someone more tech-savvy than I can post the promo and not just a link or screenshot!
Blog Mickey has a summary.

https://blogmickey.com/2024/04/disney-world-teases-new-summer-discounts/

30% Off Disney World Resort Hotels
Starting April 9, book your summer travel and save up to 30% on a room at a select Disney Resort hotel when you stay five nights or longer.

Florida Resident & Annual Passholders
There will be special offers for Florida residents and Annual Passholders as well. For travel July 8 – Oct. 3, 2024, Florida residents can save up to 30% off a stay at a Disney Resort hotel, and Annual Passholders can save up to 35% off.

Disney Visa Cardholders
For guests who are Disney Visa Cardmembers, they can consider a non-discounted vacation package to get a FREE dining plan for select arrival dates in July, September, and December. Disney dining plans are worth it for vacationers who want an all-inclusive feel to their trip. They can use snack credits on classic favorites like Dole Whip or try specialty items that qualify as a snack by looking out for the little purple icon beside select menu items. With a dining plan, guests also get a resort refillable mug for each guest on the plan. This exclusive free dining plan deal will be available to book starting tomorrow, April 9 and full details will be on the Special Offers page.

Have been very eagerly awaiting discounts for our September dates though I am doubtful our CL night at Poly will see anything substantial given recent history. Much more hopeful for the GF stay pre-cruise.

I should just take tomorrow morning off and devote it to Disney. Marathon weekend registration and hotel discounts for my September trip- I’ll be busy.

What time do hotel discounts usually go live?

We'll opt for Disneyland next summer (2025) because we already lined up our summer vacation and the time we could get there in the fall is when DLR is the busiest. But man, that weekend before Thanksgiving sure looks like a great time to go to WDW or DLR. I'll see if we can hold out.

Is the weekend before Thanksgiving usually very crowded? I haven't been to Disneyland at that time since 2006, I think. Are Christmas decorations up by then?

Is the weekend before Thanksgiving usually very crowded? I haven't been to Disneyland at that time since 2006, I think. Are Christmas decorations up by then?
I'm not sure on how busy it is. We've been in October and it was a madhouse. We've been on Christmas week and it was decent until 11am. I'm sure it's the same before Thanksgiving and if we can hold out until June 2025, we'll get a much better, slower time. We've also learned to spend at least 4 days at DLR so we can take it easy and not the breakneck pace we'd need with 2-3 days like we used to do. We also owe ourselves a WDW trip but it's a lot harder to justify the cost compared to DLR now. Plus, CA>FL for me any day.

While it has been a few years, I did once go right before Thanksgiving. The Sunday beforehand was actually not bad - busy but very manageable. My second day was Monday though and it was absolutely insane! Some family came out to join me that day, and I told them they should have been tehre the day before. That is my anecdotal experience, but the weekend before, at least the Sunday, might not be too bad, though it is prety much always "busier than it used to be."

And yes, the Christmas decorations will be well up by then.

Last edited:
I have a Vespa scooter. When I am walking it backwards to back it up, I quietly make the truck backup beep noise🤣

Reminds me, we went to Luca last Thursday in the theater. Very fun to see and hear on the big screen. Might have been the last day and was empty, more fun if crowded.

Actually I see it's still in a theater nearby.

Reminds me, we went to Luca last Thursday in the theater. Very fun to see and hear on the big screen. Might have been the last day and was empty, more fun if crowded.

Actually I see it's still in a theater nearby.
It was barely showing near us, like maybe 1 theater during the day during the week, no weekends :( Would have liked to have seen it, but we have it on Bluray at least.

It was barely showing near us, like maybe 1 theater during the day during the week, no weekends :( Would have liked to have seen it, but we have it on Bluray at least.
We had several theaters showing it but were away both of the weekends it was playing and now it's over 😭

During the week, our local theaters didn't play it in the evenings so we could make it after work. Bummed because we got to see the other two limited releases, but Luca was the one we were looking forward to the most from the three

Disney has shared a first look at 1900 Park Fare restaurant, opening its doors tomorrow, April 10 at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

IMG_4119.jpeg

IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4122.jpeg
IMG_4121.jpeg

Disney: "A new look for the dining room pays homage to the late Victorian period, with art reminiscent of this golden era. Carousel theming is woven throughout the decor, recalling carefree times spent in gardens and fairgrounds enjoying jolly times outdoors."

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

Scott Gustin

Disney World announces new measures to address abuse of Disability Access Service

Disney is making changes to Walt Disney World's Disability Access Service (DAS) to address the misuse of this widely used benefit, which skips conventional queue environments at the parks.

Notably, Disney has dramatically narrowed the scope of eligibility and now says that DAS is for guests with a "developmental disability like autism or similar." The new DAS also extends the enrollment period from 60 days to 120 days, and reduces the DAS party size to four guests.

Disney plans to introduce the new DAS system on May 20, 2024 at Walt Disney World, and June 18, 2024 at Disneyland Resort in California.

Disney says that, "If it is determined that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased Annual Passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded."

Disney World announces new measures to address abuse of Disability Access Service

Disney is making changes to Walt Disney World's Disability Access Service (DAS) to address the misuse of this widely used benefit, which skips conventional queue environments at the parks.

Notably, Disney has dramatically narrowed the scope of eligibility and now says that DAS is for guests with a "developmental disability like autism or similar." The new DAS also extends the enrollment period from 60 days to 120 days, and reduces the DAS party size to four guests.

Disney plans to introduce the new DAS system on May 20, 2024 at Walt Disney World, and June 18, 2024 at Disneyland Resort in California.

Disney says that, "If it is determined that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased Annual Passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded."
There is an entire thread for this in the DisABILITIES section. Summary: Many like myself have a disability not related to developmental disabilities that mean it is not safe or not possible for us to wait in the queue and there appears to be no accommodations being offered for us, which violates the ADA. A return to queue system is apparently being implemented, which will help some people but not all. Likely discussion should be kept to the main thread.

Last edited:
New Culinary Delights Coming to Downtown Disney District

Sneak Peeks of Paseo, Céntrico and Tiendita, Celebrating Opening in May

With a vibrant expression of his native food and culture, Mexico’s first Michelin-starred Chef Carlos Gaytán is bringing authentic Mexican fare to the Downtown Disney District. His dishes will take guests on a multi-sensory journey to the heart of his homeland of Huitzuco, Mexico, through three distinctive concepts opening in the next few weeks: Paseo, Céntrico and Tiendita!

Din Tai Fung Opening This Summer

Another delicious update! Din Tai Fung, a Michelin-awarded restaurant brand from Taiwan, will open this summer in the district, bringing their signature soup dumplings (Xiao Long Bao), wontons, noodles, steamed buns, bok choy, pork chop fried rice and other flavorful dishes served family style.

New Steakhouse and BBQ Concepts Coming to Downtown Disney

We’re excited to let you in on more mouth-watering plans we have underway! Two new restaurant concepts – a steakhouse restaurant and an adjacent barbecue eatery – are in the works for the Downtown Disney District. These will be located on the footprint of the former Tortilla Jo’s. We look forward to sharing more, soon!

Expansion and Reimagination Coming to Marceline’s Confectionery

Something sweet is underway at Marceline’s Confectionery. We’re designing an all-new, expanded and completely reimagined confection experience featuring your favorite treats and fun new tasty offerings! While work on this location will soon be in progress, you can visit Marceline’s cart coming soon to the district to pick up your caramel apples, churro toffee and other handcrafted goodies.

During this transformation of Marceline’s, The Disney Dress Shop has temporarily moved to the WonderGround Gallery location, and select items from WonderGround Gallery may be found in Disney Home.

The 2024 solar eclipse will happen in the afternoon of April 8th. In terms of exact timing for Walt Disney World, data from NASA shows that the peak coverage will be somewhere around 57% at 3:02pm. You will start to see the moon eclipsing the sun around 1:48pm and the eclipse will conclude around 4:15pm. The sun will be visible in the southwest skies at around 60° from the horizon.

Currently, there is a forecast for a cloudy day tomorrow, which might make the solar eclipse difficult to see. Data suggests a coin flip (50%) on whether or not the skies will be cloudy.
Update - we are here in WDW now and watched the solar eclipse on Monday. The skies were a beautiful clear blue for the eclipse. And even though it was only 57% it was a totally cool sight. I had eclipse glasses that I shared with lots of people and everyone enjoyed seeing the partial eclipse. :)

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...ineers-touring-recent-changes-at-the-park.htm

Joe Rohde spotted at EPCOT with Walt Disney Imagineers touring recent changes at the park

Posted: Wednesday April 10, 2024 6:09pm EDT by WDWMAGIC Staff

Legendary Imagineer Joe Rohde is back at Walt Disney World this week, seen touring the new updates to EPCOT.

Captured by Attractions Magazine, Joe was walking the park with Walt Disney World-based Imagineers, including the EPCOT transformation lead Scott Malwitz and Creative Portfolio Exectutive, Chris Beatty.

Attractions Magazine
@Attractions

Former Disney Imagineer @Joe_Rohde is currently getting a tour of World Celebration at Epcot by some current Imagineers and PR people.
1712788471790.png

1712788491935.png

Joe Rohde confirmed recent speculation in late March that he is once again working with Walt Disney Imagineering. While his exact employment status remains unclear, Joe posted a short video of himself entering the famous Walt Disney Imagineering building on Flower Street, with the caption "Do a bit of work at the old farm."

Shortly after Joe's post, Walt Disney Imagineering said that Joe is leading a series of master class work sessions for current Imagineers. It remains unknown if he may be involved with any projects at least on a consultancy basis, if not full-time employment. The most likely assignments would be the AVATAR attraction coming to Disneyland Resort in California, and the major overhaul of DinoLand U.S.A. at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Joe's return to Imagineering follows news that he will be honored as a Disney Legend at the D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event on Sunday, August 11.

There is an entire thread for this in the DisABILITIES section. Summary: Many like myself have a disability not related to developmental disabilities that mean it is not safe or not possible for us to wait in the queue and there appears to be no accommodations being offered for us, which violates the ADA. A return to queue system is apparently being implemented, which will help some people but not all. Likely discussion should be kept to the main thread.
Just as an FYI - The announcement also includes information on how they will provide other accommodations to people with other disabilities and medical conditions. So, while they are ending DAS for other conditions, they WILL still provide some accommodations!

Update - we are here in WDW now and watched the solar eclipse on Monday. The skies were a beautiful clear blue for the eclipse. And even though it was only 57% it was a totally cool sight. I had eclipse glasses that I shared with lots of people and everyone enjoyed seeing the partial eclipse. :)
Did Disney sell any Disney solar eclipse glasses? Just curious!

Just as an FYI - The announcement also includes information on how they will provide other accommodations to people with other disabilities and medical conditions. So, while they are ending DAS for other conditions, they WILL still provide some accommodations!

Do you have a link to information about how those without developmental disabilities are being accommodated? I’ve read through the whole 50+ thread in the other forum and the reason for concern is no one has seen any information about how we will be accommodated, other than a return to queue system which doesn’t work for many people.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...ineers-touring-recent-changes-at-the-park.htm

Joe Rohde spotted at EPCOT with Walt Disney Imagineers touring recent changes at the park

Posted: Wednesday April 10, 2024 6:09pm EDT by WDWMAGIC Staff

Legendary Imagineer Joe Rohde is back at Walt Disney World this week, seen touring the new updates to EPCOT.

Captured by Attractions Magazine, Joe was walking the park with Walt Disney World-based Imagineers, including the EPCOT transformation lead Scott Malwitz and Creative Portfolio Exectutive, Chris Beatty.

Attractions Magazine
@Attractions

Former Disney Imagineer @Joe_Rohde is currently getting a tour of World Celebration at Epcot by some current Imagineers and PR people.
View attachment 850378

View attachment 850379

Joe Rohde confirmed recent speculation in late March that he is once again working with Walt Disney Imagineering. While his exact employment status remains unclear, Joe posted a short video of himself entering the famous Walt Disney Imagineering building on Flower Street, with the caption "Do a bit of work at the old farm."

Shortly after Joe's post, Walt Disney Imagineering said that Joe is leading a series of master class work sessions for current Imagineers. It remains unknown if he may be involved with any projects at least on a consultancy basis, if not full-time employment. The most likely assignments would be the AVATAR attraction coming to Disneyland Resort in California, and the major overhaul of DinoLand U.S.A. at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Joe's return to Imagineering follows news that he will be honored as a Disney Legend at the D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event on Sunday, August 11.
I hope he’ll get a chance to visit DinoLand this week, so he can make an argument on why said land (except Dino-Rama) or at least dinosaurs in AK need to stay, that’s if he’s already seen or knew about the current overhaul plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter