Disney on dialysis

Dis_fan83

Earning My Ears
Visiting Disney World is alot to endure. A Disney vacation sometimes feels like participating in a tour de France, but its more challenging visiting while on dialysis. I myself visited Disney World 3 times over 3 years while living with kidney disease and from my experience, its not a easy walk in the park, literally.

My tip for those who travel to Disney while on dialysis is to plan very smart. You plan a full day between park hopping or fast pass reservations or both and if you had dialysis before entering the park; you will be so drained, especially when its very hot.

My next tip is for those who traveled down to Florida, I think its better to have your dialysis treatment early in the morning before heading to the parks. Dialysis takes alot out of you so if you had a full day in the parks then after get dialysis, your body will completely be drained. I would go to dialysis around 5am and be done and to the parks by 10am.

My last tip is watch your fluid intake. If you had a treatment before going to the parks, then make sure you stay hydrated which is difficult while walking around the parks and its hot. My best advice is to drink little when you first arrive, you dont want to drink heavy then feel bloated or legs swell up throughout the day. Instead, sip on a bottle for a while then after you been in the parks for some time, drink a little more because walking around a Disney park will burn many calories and water in your system. So by the time your ready to leave, you will have worked out most of that extra fluid you had throughout the day.

My next tip is for those who traveled down to Florida, I think its better to have your dialysis treatment early in the morning before heading to the parks. Dialysis takes alot out of you so if you had a full day in the parks then after get dialysis, your body will completely be drained. I would go to dialysis around 5am and be done and to the parks by 10am.
While excellent advice, visitors will most likely be at the mercy of the dialysis center regarding timing.

My DH was on dialysis for a number of years and for him, early mornings were a non-starter. My advice is to plan what works best for you. And as a previous poster mentioned, you may not have any say in your dialysis times.

My DH was on dialysis for a number of years and for him, early mornings were a non-starter. My advice is to plan what works best for you. And as a previous poster mentioned, you may not have any say in your dialysis times.

When DH was on dialysis, being in center wiped him out. He couldn't function for hours after it. Didn't matter if it was before the parks or after. When he started home hemo, he did so much better, and had more energy after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter