Disney/ Orlando with a 12 nth old baby

steveyjc81

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I'll be in Florida next April with my daughter and wife. She will have just turned one by then. We have a DCL cruise booked, but would like to make my holiday 2 weeks long. Any ideas what to do - suitable for a 1 yr old for the other week? I'm not convinced the parks are a good idea. Any other thoughts?

Thanks, Stevey

We did both Universal and Disney with an 11 month old. Luckily we had Grandma and Grandpa there to take over so we could ride some rides, but our daughter had the time of her life. Universal doesn't offer a whole lot of family rides, but the baby really enjoyed meeting the characters and playing in the kiddie area at Seuss Landing. I would say its probably not worth the price of admission unless you guys want to ride some rides solo.

Disney would be great, especially magic kingdom. Lots of rides that will catch the attention of a 1 year old... I feel bad for the people sitting in front of us on It's a Small World because their ears may never require from the baby squealing the whole time.

We are here with our 3 month old right now and having an amazing time!! It's so awesome watching him take everything in. I'm sure a 1 year old would love it!!

That's reassuring to hear. We're first time parents and just can't imagine what stage she will be at.

If you're writing a trip report, I'd love to read it.

Thanks all for replies

Our baby was up and walking at 10 months so by the time we went to Disney at 11 months she just wanted to move, move, move. But the second we got on rides or met character she was transfixed... it was the best vacation we ever had and gave us our best Disney memories.

We had a great time with DS at the parks when he was 11 months. There was a lot for him to do, and he loved taking in all the visual stimuli. MK is made for children of all ages, but the other parks were fun, too. I recommend the first haircut experience and Dumbo. I wrote a trip report focusing on his first experiences: http://www.disboards.com/threads/wheres-mickey-our-sons-first-trip-to-disney-world.3119926/

When he is 18, my husband and I will share this with him along with a series of emails that we've been writing to him as he grows up.

We just came home from 5 days in WDW and a 5 day DCL cruise.

Your daughter will LOVE it.

My daughter is 13 months old and she had so much fun meeting characters (even though she really doesn't know who they are), going on rides, looking at fireworks, etc. I was a little worried that she would be bored and fussy in the parks, but it was the complete opposite. She was happy and entertained.

Absolutely visit the Disney parks! There is a lot for children that age to enjoy that other ages enjoy, as well. Fantasyland rides, the parades, the characters (not all kids love them early on...but both of mine have, so that's just my personal experience).

I'm really pleased I started this thread. Always thought the parks would be a no-no at that age. Awesome. Will definitely pencil it in !

We had such a magical trip when DS was 11 months, too! (Also first time parents) He wasn't walking yet, so it was easy to keep up with him either by carrying or using stroller. He had such an amazing time, and seeing it through his eyes gave us a whole new park experience. We did the first haircut, too. Highly recommend bringing a child that young. They're free, it's fun for everyone, and you'll never forget their first moments there!

PS each park has a baby center - highly recommend taking advantage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter