Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
each time I open my social media another friend has posted they got the call, most recently one from costuming at MK. I was just thinking, obviously awful for those getting fired, but also awful for those that have an endless call sheet to give out the bad news.

My dad had to lay off a bunch of folks from his office a while back. The company had him essentially lay off his entire office before they laid him off. It was awful, and he was gutted.

I have a few friends at Disney who are still awaiting a call, at least one of them is fairly certain they will receive a call before this is all over. She is hoping her husband doesn’t also get the call.

There have been reports that Joe Rohde has been laid off as well. It wouldn't surprise me as they have cut 1/3 of Imagineering
If so, wow.

But really .. Disney probably isn't planning on working on any new imagineering projects (in the states) for a while .. they've had so many open up in the last 2-3 years just at WDW (TSL, SWGE, MnMRR), haveso many in the pipeline and almost done (Tron, Guardians, Rat) and so many they have to cut back (Epcot, Reflections) ..that I don't see Disney needing Imagineering for new projects for several years .. maybe as many as 5.

After 9/11 .. how long did it take to get a new ride or attraction? Besides the Dinoland USA area (Primevil Whril and Triceratops Spin) at AK (which was already in progress) .. was Expedition Everest the first big, new attraction to open after 9/11/? If so .. that was 5 years.

Was reading this .. an article like this can be written soon about how COVID-19 changed WDW forever.
https://www.themeparksandentertainment.com/2020/05/how-911-changed-wdw-forever.html
Probably in the same boat here. This tourist drop seems like it will be more more serious and longer lasting than 9/11 which was just a single incident that made people afraid to just fly. Considering Disney cut major staff .. ya .. don't seem them expanding for many many years.

Probably in the same boat here. This tourist drop seems like it will be more more serious and longer lasting than 9/11 which was just a single incident that made people afraid to just fly. Considering Disney cut major staff .. ya .. don't seem them expanding for many many years.

Wow. That’s really all I have to say about that. Wow. You’ve had quite a few bad takes on these boards regarding the virus, but to negate 9/11 down to people just being afraid to fly. That’s an entirely new low. Nice job.

just recorded the last show of the GF Orchestra, as usual Disney didn't do anything special for them even though we in the audience stayed waiting for something, they just brought the light up and signaled us to leave
Not surprising, they haven't done anything special for any entertainment being cut for the last 10 years, it's up to us as fans to show our love and support

just recorded the last show of the GF Orchestra, as usual Disney didn't do anything special for them even though we in the audience stayed waiting for something, they just brought the light up and signaled us to leave
Not surprising, they haven't done anything special for any entertainment being cut for the last 10 years, it's up to us as fans to show our love and support
Get used to it cause that's the way Chapek wants it. Just remember that he once said that the CM's are the entertainment.

Get used to it cause that's the way Chapek wants it. Just remember that he once said that the CM's are the entertainment.
oh I'm plenty used to it, that's why I said "not surprising" I have been to the last performances of 4 for a Dollar, British Revolution, Mulch Sweat and Shears, several parades, Disney Channel Rocks, many, many citizens of Hollywood, the Hollywood Public Works, Royal Majesty Makers, none of them have had any notice from Disney

If so, wow.

But really .. Disney probably isn't planning on working on any new imagineering projects (in the states) for a while .. they've had so many open up in the last 2-3 years just at WDW (TSL, SWGE, MnMRR), haveso many in the pipeline and almost done (Tron, Guardians, Rat) and so many they have to cut back (Epcot, Reflections) ..that I don't see Disney needing Imagineering for new projects for several years .. maybe as many as 5.

After 9/11 .. how long did it take to get a new ride or attraction? Besides the Dinoland USA area (Primevil Whril and Triceratops Spin) at AK (which was already in progress) .. was Expedition Everest the first big, new attraction to open after 9/11/? If so .. that was 5 years.

Was reading this .. an article like this can be written soon about how COVID-19 changed WDW forever.
https://www.themeparksandentertainment.com/2020/05/how-911-changed-wdw-forever.html

Gah. Your posts are depressing.

oh I'm plenty used to it, that's why I said "not surprising" I have been to the last performances of 4 for a Dollar, British Revolution, Mulch Sweat and Shears, several parades, Disney Channel Rocks, many, many citizens of Hollywood, the Hollywood Public Works, Royal Majesty Makers, none of them have had any notice from Disney
I honestly believe that the leaders at Disney look at the ROI on everything now. Since Live Entertainment has next ROI they don't think it's needed as much.

I posted this on the news thread, wanted to make sure you saw it...
https://www.clickorlando.com/theme-...-goodbye-to-one-of-disneys-most-iconic-bands/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...els-just-road-Disney-World-work-dried-up.html

This is why it will always be that no matter what Disney does, they will take the flack for everything. This article, as sad as it is, doesn’t include any employees from Disney itself, but the article mentions Disney in basically every other sentence. Disney will always take the bad press because they’re the big name.

This is not new, Disneyland had many similar stories in the past even when they are open. Youd be surprised at the amount of Disney families living in motels or apartments with 4 or 5 people before the pandemic so during this downturn is no shock.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...els-just-road-Disney-World-work-dried-up.html

This is why it will always be that no matter what Disney does, they will take the flack for everything. This article, as sad as it is, doesn’t include any employees from Disney itself, but the article mentions Disney in basically every other sentence. Disney will always take the bad press because they’re the big name.
I think the article is just stressing how important WDW is to the Orlando economy

Wow. That’s really all I have to say about that. Wow. You’ve had quite a few bad takes on these boards regarding the virus, but to negate 9/11 down to people just being afraid to fly. That’s an entirely new low. Nice job.
Cripes, I wasn't try to "negate" a major tragic event to "people just being afraid to fly".

My point was: (obviously not written clear enough) that 9/11 primarily affected flying which affected tourism (and a lot more). The virus is not only a TRAVEL issue, but a HEALTH issue and a direct ECONOMIC issue (people losing jobs due to lockdowns) .. so potentially more reason the tourism industry is going to get hit hard by this and take longer to recovery.

So my "take" was about how the virus affecting tourism .. not about belittling 9/11. This is just a take .. just an opinion about the VIRUS, not 9/11. I do hope I'm wrong. Sometimes saying the worst-case scenario makes you feel better when it doesn't come true.

Gah. Your posts are depressing.
Ya . .sorry .. I tend to get out MY negativity over this situation here. It's hard to be upbeat around ANYTHING this year.

Hopefully I'll get more upbeat as I have two sets of friends travelling to WDW next week and early November. I hope the direct news of their trips lifts my spirits and encourages me that things will eventually be all right in at least that part of the world.

another friend, this one worked food and beverage as a manager and trainer in multiple locations through her Disney career of 11 years. Recently had been on furloughed from AKL
P.S. I am not posting this to bring anyone down, it just is the reality. Many people on these boards get lost in the fighting over insignificant details and forget that real lives are affected every day. Most CM working right now LIVE Disney, value the company's keys and none of them are blaming Disney for this, which is incredible to see

It probably best for them to feel that way right now. After seeing what this leadership did to folks in their IT department a few years ago, I don't trust them and don't believe for a second it had to be this bad or done this way. Especially with $23 billion in the bank and plenty of ability to get more if needed. This leadership is looking out for investors and themselves more so than their employees, like most execute teams would do. Hopefully, they won't roll out multimillion dollar cash bonuses or a ton of stock or stock options to execs this year. Time will tell.

From page 3 of the quarterly report found at "https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2020/08/q3-fy20-earnings.pdf" we see that Parks and Resorts revenue is down 87% from a year prior. This division brought in 6.5 billion in the 3rd quarter last year, but less than 1 billion in the 3rd quarter this year. From the bottom of page 4 is this summation "We estimate the total net adverse impact of COVID-19 on segment operating income in the quarter was approximately $3.5 billion." The earnings report suggests there are more actions to come in an effort to stop the bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter