• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they would be getting rid of so much if it weren't for the pandemic. I know they've cut some entertainment in the past, but they have tried some new things too - seemingly less popular but still. I doubt Bob would have been let go if not for the extreme circumstances we find ourselves in. POR isn't even operating right now, right? Hopefully they can bring some back at some point.
POR doesn't even have an opening date. It may end up being closed for 1.5 to 2 years since it will likely be the last moderate to be reopened.

So sad. I’m trying to do my part. Went to Disney Hilton head in beginning of September and going to wdw in December.
I know a lot of people can’t come being from New York or out of country or lack of funds.Plus I’m renting my points out so other people can enjoy wdw and help them out also.

Last edited:

I think a LOT of the guests since July have been locals who have gone repeatedly during that time. Not that true travelers aren’t coming, but I would wager to guess that 60-70% of the guests since July have been within a 2 hour drive and have been more than 2-3 times during these past 2 and a half months.
Oh for sure .. especially early on .. but they've still done so safely (as far as we know).

I am sure tons of families from farther away were just waiting to see what happens .. and with falling cases (in Florida) and the lifting of restrictions, I am sure people will feel more confident to come down. (Not to mention just virus fatigue). Tons of people are venturing out every day .. and doing "normal" things safely. We CAN go out and about and do "normal" things (taking precautions) without fear of catching the virus every time we leave the house. That attitude is getting stronger every day.

I know two families that are planning on coming down in the 30-40 days despite the virus and the restrictions .. so people outside of the Florida area probably will probably start feeling better about coming down now that they've been open almost 3 months without incident.

So sad. I’m trying to do my part. Went to Disney Hilton head in beginning of September and going to wdw in December.
I know a lot of people can’t come being from New York or out of country or lack of funds.Plus I’m renting my points out so other people can enjoy wdw and help them out also.

I have such mixed feelings about going. On one hand I do understand that the way to get more CMs back to work is to go, but I also am apprehensive about people's behaviors, particularly in the airport/airplane area (not so much at Disney). I really do want to go - it's closing in on a year since I've been and I hate it, but I also think it's not the most responsible action right now, and I know that in general locking down is better to help the pandemic. It is hard to know what to do.

Oh for sure .. especially early on .. but they've still done so safely (as far as we know).

I am sure tons of families from farther away were just waiting to see what happens .. and with falling cases (in Florida) and the lifting of restrictions, I am sure people will feel more confident to come down. (Not to mention just virus fatigue). Tons of people are venturing out every day .. and doing "normal" things safely. We CAN go out and about and do "normal" things (taking precautions) without fear of catching the virus every time we leave the house. That attitude is getting stronger every day.

I know two families that are planning on coming down in the 30-40 days despite the virus and the restrictions .. so people outside of the Florida area probably will probably start feeling better about coming down now that they've been open almost 3 months without incident.

Not sure about that part ... I think the lifting of restrictions in Florida is making people less likely to travel to Florida. I know if I had a trip scheduled in the next couple of weeks I would likely cancel - beyond that I would wait and see how things develop

Not sure about that part ... I think the lifting of restrictions in Florida is making people less likely to travel to Florida. I know if I had a trip scheduled in the next couple of weeks I would likely cancel - beyond that I would wait and see how things develop

What’s interesting is the change in mindset for the Dis crew. Rhino seems like the last one to return to the parks. Not everyone is going to gain a comfort level in going at the same rate.

What’s interesting is the change in mindset for the Dis crew. Rhino seems like the last one to return to the parks. Not everyone is going to gain a comfort level in going at the same rate.

oh for sure - plenty of people near me still aren't leaving their houses for anything, still getting everything delivered, etc. ... and then others are a bit more comfortable with some gatherings, etc.

I am somewhere in the middle, but the easing of restrictions in Florida makes me less likely to travel there, at least in the short term vs instilling confidence in me that "everything must be going great!"

Is this COBRA?
Cobra is an insurance plan you can opt to purchase or you can take your chances with the Marketplace. Severance is a payout of a certain percentage of your average pay. When I got severance from my former company it was 100% for 6 months.

oh for sure - plenty of people near me still aren't leaving their houses for anything, still getting everything delivered, etc. ... and then others are a bit more comfortable with some gatherings, etc.

I am somewhere in the middle, but the easing of restrictions in Florida makes me less likely to travel there, at least in the short term vs instilling confidence in me that "everything must be going great!"

It is different everywhere, that's for sure.

We, and others around here, are out about everyday now. Going to stores, Starbucks, etc. - wearing masks of course.
We were at Trader Joe's earlier and I was giggling to myself. Everyone was just walking down aisles together, in masks, but no social real distancing. It literally looked like a normal day, but with masks (and at checkout you have markers to stand on. ) Most stores by us are like this now.
I thought of the DIS and imagined what the posts about it would be like. :D

We, and others around here, are out about everyday now. Going to stores, Starbucks, etc. - wearing masks of course.
We were at Trader Joe's earlier and I was giggling to myself. Everyone was just walking down aisles together, in masks, but no social real distancing. It literally looked like a normal day, but with masks (and at checkout you have markers to stand on. ) Most stores by us are like this now.

we are seeing more people out in general (in masks of course) but still largely keeping social distancing and many stores will have a line to get in as they are capping capacity. So, how things have been fore a while, just a bit more people.

as another example, friends of ours asked about getitng together but they will only meet outside and want to keep social distancing - even though it is just us and them, so very small gathering ... and that is pretty standard, though then others are doing larger gatherings

we are seeing more people out in general (in masks of course) but still largely keeping social distancing and many stores will have a line to get in as they are capping capacity. So, how things have been fore a while, just a bit more people.

as another example, friends of ours asked about getitng together but they will only meet outside and want to keep social distancing - even though it is just us and them, so very small gathering ... and that is pretty standard, though then others are doing larger gatherings

They were limiting capacity for a few months, but I have not seen it in a long time. Everyone is good about social distancing when waiting in the lines, so that's nice.

Completely agree with this. As a Floridian, the lifting of restrictions makes me less likely to go out anywhere within the state, other than Disney. Knowing Disney still has strict guidelines and restrictions makes me feel very comfortable going there, whereas local stores around me (which I haven’t been to since March, we do delivery of our groceries) I won’t step foot in.

Oh for sure . .that is an individual choice and there will be some where that lifting will make them hesitate. I guess my point is that lifting restrictions announces "return to normalcy" and that will encourage some people to come (maybe more than those who would stay away?).

I feel more people don't care about safety restrictions than do. Basically, for most .. "is it open? and do I need to wear a mask" (so they know if they need to bring one).
Obviously there are plenty that do worry about the safety measures, but I just get the feeling (personally and anecdotally) that most people don't care. Would I stop going to Costco if they suddenly dropped their mask requirement? No. Would I go to a restaurant that fills every seat? Sure! That means that the wait won't be as annoying long as it is now.
And I am sure there are ton that wouldn't care either as long as they can still go to the stores/restaurants they love.

Same here locally .. everyone is going about life as normal as they can - just with masks (no "true" social distancing except in lines (and there are MORE lines because WAY more people are going out and about). Schools, restaurants, shopping, etc. Even the film industry have started filming movies locally again.

That being said, I'm sure people (just like me) take their own attitudes and project that onto others. I'm not afraid of the virus, so I feel most people aren't either. All I know is my local community is doing more and more every week compared to March, April, May where we didn't leave our homes (even though the virus is arguably more widespread now than it was then).

Right .. it's actually surprising some of these jobs lasted this long.

It will just take even longer now to get back to normal, not that it was going to be like a light switch after this extended more than the original 2 weeks --- Even if Disney lifted all restrictions at WDW tomorrow, they either wouldn't have the staff to handle the influx of guests OR they wouldn't have the influx of guests due to decreased demand for tourism (due to their own financial issues).

It's up to us (those of us who are lucky to be able to work from home/office and still have our income) to do what we've been doing (or want to do sooner than later): Go to Disney despite the pandemic. How many 10s of thousands of guests have gone to WDW in some form since July safely? The virus isn't spreading like wildfire due to theme parks being opened as originally feared. Whether that is due to the restrictions or just the fact that a lot of it is outside doesn't matter.

What matters is we can build up the demand for the tourist industry again by going .. by following the rules/restrictions .. by being safe and then sharing our experiences with others (in forums like these) so THEY feel confident doing the same in the future.

That will help these people get their jobs back .. it just unfortunately won't happen overnight.
I do like your attitude for helping and I feel the same. The only difference I have is I wish everyone here would have to same attitude towards their local park. Many are open and are hurting for business too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter