Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
The extra $600 stopped two months ago. It doesn't explain the high unemployment and lower numbers of workers in September.

No it doesn't, you're right there. But it doesn't change the fact there are plenty of jobs to be had in the greater Orlando area across several sectors. Why aren't people taking the jobs? I have no idea. I can tell you a couple friends of mine ended up on the unemployment train and took the opportunity to drive across the country and visit a bunch of state parks. Some are thinking about changing careers and taking (online) classes.

No it doesn't, you're right there. But it doesn't change the fact there are plenty of jobs to be had in the greater Orlando area across several sectors. Why aren't people taking the jobs? I have no idea. I can tell you a couple friends of mine ended up on the unemployment train and took the opportunity to drive across the country and visit a bunch of state parks. Some are thinking about changing careers and taking (online) classes.

I’m guessing a lot of these jobs are in CA, not FL. Anaheim got crushed. It’s going to be hard for these employees to find jobs. And I doubt many will want to go back to Disney.

I’m guessing a lot of these jobs are in CA, not FL. Anaheim got crushed. It’s going to be hard for these employees to find jobs. And I doubt many will want to go back to Disney.

My cast member friends who didn't make it are still very much a fan of the company and if the opportunity comes around to work there again they would do it. We're all just hoping they relax the restrictions regarding tenure at the company for those whom get rehired at some point down the road.

411 imagineers to be exact. That was a pretty significant number. Basically the entire Magic Happens parade performers group at DL. Also Yellow Shoes is gone which is a marketing department.
Cutting deep into Imagineering is cutting that long term R&D and mental capital. That is not something quickly recovered from. Do you know what % of Imagineering (about) 411 people are?

Cutting deep into Imagineering is cutting that long term R&D and mental capital. That is not something quickly recovered from. Do you know what % of Imagineering (about) 411 people are?
I don’t. Many are hired on a project by project basis too.

Over the years, and I am talking 30+ years Disney would periodically slash and burn the Imagineering department. Not surprised by this.

There have been reports that Joe Rohde has been laid off as well. It wouldn't surprise me as they have cut 1/3 of Imagineering
That would be a mega-ton... I don't see any reports of this anywhere. I can't for a second believe that Disney would fire Joe Rohde.

We just heard from a close friend of ours who is a VIP tour guide that she lost her job. She was actually called back to work last Friday but was notified today that her job was being eliminated.
How can I get a tour guide for Disney World?

That would be a mega-ton... I don't see any reports of this anywhere. I can't for a second believe that Disney would fire Joe Rohde.
This is quoted directly from poster Literally Nobody on WDWMagic.

"From what I understand, this is being held close to the vest for now. But will be announced to a broader audience internally, and then publicly.

At this point, I will label it rumor, but I heard it from two people I trust."

This is the same guy who broke the news that Voyage of the Little Mermaid wasn't coming back. So I do trust him on what he posts.

If Joe Rhode is making some serious cash, he could be a target. Keep the lesser paid ones, ditch the high dollars ones?

This is quoted directly from poster Literally Nobody on WDWMagic.

"From what I understand, this is being held close to the vest for now. But will be announced to a broader audience internally, and then publicly.

At this point, I will label it rumor, but I heard it from two people I trust."

This is the same guy who broke the news that Voyage of the Little Mermaid wasn't coming back. So I do trust him on what he posts.
I don’t buy it at all. Like @rteetz said above, he is as close to untouchable as they come. He’s the face of Imagineering. Now, was he forced/offered to take early retirement? That I would believe, but to be laid off, no way. Also, considering there isn’t a firm answer as to whether Voyage of Little Mermaid is actually closed for good, your rumor source isn’t too believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter