Disney Parts Ways With Beloved Hilton Head Island Resorts B’Lou and Shadow

Is this beginning of the end for HHI as part of DVC? I guess the writing has been on the wall that it's likely to be sold when 2042 rolls around.

LAX

So sad. Screwdrive u chapek and your crony friends too. Gawd, I should go sign that 'fire Chapek' petition. If it's still going.

This is so sad we had such a great time meeting B’lou and shadow he gave a great presentation with magic tricks and how you can stack a deck of cards to do tricks on your friends when you got home! They will be missed!

I am beyond devastated to hear this. When we bought our DVC membership in 2007, our first trip with our points was to HHI. Our kids (8 and 10 at the time) thought we were crazy. "You bought Disney points and you're taking us to Hilton Head Island?" was their reaction. On that first trip, we attended his magic show and afterwards he spent several minutes chatting with us and even taught our son how to do a trick. A couple of years later we went back and B'Lou spent several minutes with our daughter, discussing the differences between her violin and his fiddle. We've been back a couple more times since then, and every time, B'Lou remembers us and we always spend a couple of minutes catching up. It has become one of our favorite DVC resorts and we were actually considering adding on at the resort, in spite of the shortness of the contract and the higher dues, now that we are in a position to do so. Guess that won't be happening now, and with all the other changes to DVC, my addonitis may actually be cured....

April 2012 with Shadow #2 or #3. Was a great moment but not enough to fret over the future Shadows no longer being at HHI.

April 2012 with Shadow #2 or #3. Was a great moment but not enough to fret over the future Shadows no longer being at HHI.

View attachment 621651

Hmm. I actually understand your viewpoint. You had your personal moment and then moved on.

But, once all the 'moments' are gone, it will just be another Marriott. Marriott has a significant presence on the island and more than once, I've seen the laundry truck picking up and dropping off at the resort. I figure in 2042 they'll be buying it up.

Personally I'm not that excited to attend a Shadow activity, although I am a dog lover, but I've got grandchildren who enjoy getting to pet Shadow and to walk along on one of the bunny activities for little ones. Approaching Shadow was a lot nicer for them than having a people sized Pluto or Goofy to deal with on one of our trips. That terrified them when they were younger.

Another point not connected to your comment, but rather than starting another post I will say it here. Since this is a DVC hotel and we pay our dues, it would stand to reason that the costs for Shadow comes out of the dues budget.

So, we as members, in trickle down effect, employ Shadow. Yes, our management company makes the decisions. How many of you out there have voiced your concerns to them?

I've heard a lot of 'Chapek' this or that, but, just like when there were incorrect point reallocations and people banded together to get the problem solved, perhaps that's the way to go rather than acting as if this is a park problem or a perk. Or - are the majority of complainants not even members at Hilton Head? Or not DVC members at all?

I have been there without Shadow and I missed him, and I missed B’lou entertainment and I thought they would be coming back. I am disappointed they won’t be, I signed the petition and I will most likely write a letter to DVC. I enjoyed those two trips we took earlier this year, and I have three coming in 2022, for about 12 days total. I think there’s enough there to keep us going back to Disney HHI.

One aspect of the uniqueness of Disney’s HHI is the location, on Broad Creek, and that’s not going away.

I have been there without Shadow and I missed him, and I missed B’lou entertainment and I thought they would be coming back. I am disappointed they won’t be, I signed the petition and I will most likely write a letter to DVC. I enjoyed those two trips we took earlier this year, and I have three coming in 2022, for about 12 days total. I think there’s enough there to keep us going back to Disney HHI.

One aspect of the uniqueness of Disney’s HHI is the location, on Broad Creek, and that’s not going away.

Yes, I think it's an excellent location. When I first stayed and then bought there back in 2000, all I heard were complaints that it was not on the beach, you had to drive to the beach and that there was no night life. Oh, and no restaurants on the resort. 250 places to eat on the island itself, but no stand alone restaurant at the resort. I spent some time defending my resort. Then I realized if I just kept quiet, I would always find a room!

The other complaint was that there were no big waves! Well, that suited a lot of us just fine as that morning walk is the best thing in the world to me.

For years I had a background on my work computer of a DHHIR sunrise with my younger daughter walking along with the pelicans and seagulls flying above. People always asked where I got the picture. It was one of those one in a million shots where everything comes together.

That's how I feel about my HH trips. It's a place of peace for me where everything comes full circle.

Just to be very clear, this is currently a one-sided story in which the only person we've heard from is an entertainer who is no longer under contract with the company. We have absolutely nothing official that B'Lou Crabbe won't be replaced by a new performer and his Shadow.

Just to be very clear, this is currently a one-sided story in which the only person we've heard from is an entertainer who is no longer under contract with the company. We have absolutely nothing official that B'Lou Crabbe won't be replaced by a new performer and his Shadow.
There’s mention here that Shadow’s door is being covered.

Correct. That being said, and given Disney's proclivity for "taketh" vice "giveth," I'd be surprised to see a similar performer appear--but, it is possible.
There’s mention here that Shadow’s door is being covered.
Yes, Shadow's name was removed and the door repainted.
But, once all the 'moments' are gone, it will just be another Marriott. Marriott has a significant presence on the island and more than once, I've seen the laundry truck picking up and dropping off at the resort. I figure in 2042 they'll be buying it up.
Yes, per my view, DVC has been racing headlong to come back to the pack of vacation resorts. Where once they blazed a trail, they now trumpet "meeting industry standards." I'm sure there are cost-saving algorithms and surveys they can blandish to justify their decisions, and being a huge corporation, their only true focus is to satisfy their shareholders. That's business. Still, it's deflating to watch Disney--via corporate think-tank reasoning--let go of the personality of the DVC resorts with each succeeding new build, refurbishment, or lack of CMs. Do I think not bringing back B'Lou and Shadow signals the demise of DHHIR in 20 years? No--that's 20 years away. Do I think DVC won't sell off HHI or VB (they are under the same GM)? Nope, don't think that, either. Besides, no one in power now will be in power 10 years from now most likely, so who knows what the next CEO will think or what the DVC unit will be like with any certainty?

I am beyond sad that they aren't coming back; there are many reasons we decided to purchase HHI sight-unseen and plan a trip for Easter, but this kind of unique personal touch - the legend of Shadow, having a resort dog, this personal entertainment - is one of them. I'll certainly write to Disney about my disappointment that they aren't being brought back. I don't vacation at Disney because I want "industry standard" accommodations. I vacation at Disney because they had perfected the experience, and these little touches are the things that make lasting memories, unique interactions, and unforgettable experiences.

I'm sadly not hopeful we can convince Disney Execs to change course. I'm still not over the decision to close the Adventurer's Club, and all the petitions and writing campaigns did not help there, either. :(

Last edited:
Hmm. I actually understand your viewpoint. You had your personal moment and then moved on.

But, once all the 'moments' are gone, it will just be another Marriott.

Yes, per my view, DVC has been racing headlong to come back to the pack of vacation resorts. Where once they blazed a trail, they now trumpet "meeting industry standards." I'm sure there are cost-saving algorithms and surveys they can blandish to justify their decisions, and being a huge corporation, their only true focus is to satisfy their shareholders. That's business. Still, it's deflating to watch Disney--via corporate think-tank reasoning--let go of the personality of the DVC resorts with each succeeding new build, refurbishment, or lack of CMs.

These two statements I highlighted sum it up. Disney developed it's good reputation by being different - going above and beyond what others did to make a vacation "magical". Now they are looking to do their proverbial resting on their laurels where they cut back and coast along on previous actions. But if the "moments" aren't created for new guests are they going to flock back? Or will they decide that it wasn't that different from other vacations (or these days - not different enough given the cost) and go on their merry way to other places. As much as repeat visitors are disparaged at times I'm hard pressed to think of a business that isn't made better and more sustainable by having them and the bigger the base the better.

Thanks so much for that! I saw another site that supposedly offered a link to get them back, but when I clicked on it, it just gave me the petition to fire Chapek. Maybe nice for some people, but I specifically wanted this. And for those who aren't sure if it's official, go to B'leu and Shadow's Facebook page or the resort's Facebook page.

They have removed Shadow from much of the branding and also have removed the dogs name from the “doggy” door at the resort. That’s a pretty good sign that they are not replacing the characters.

Not to mention that some members have had conversations with General Managers at the resort and it was stated that the characters are being removed. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 662BD882-F0E5-4584-AF6D-C660666B9D7B.jpeg
    662BD882-F0E5-4584-AF6D-C660666B9D7B.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter