Disney paying a “living wage”. Sigh…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiji271

Earning My Ears
Was listening to the show when the living wage topic was brought up, again. I think it was Ryno who said that everyone who works a 40 hour work week should be able to afford to live. It was also mentioned that cast members are worried about being able to afford essential items like food. I have a few thoughts that are easier to put in bullet points. Curious to see what you all think.
  • If one of my kids decided to be a frontline cast member, I would let them know that Disney is most likely not going to bend to your will when it comes to compensation. If you want to buy a house, car, save for retirement and pay your bills, you need to reconsider working at Disney. You need to change (different job, different college degree, etc.), instead of expecting Disney to change. Several people on the podcast were reminiscing about how they could barely afford to eat when they were cast members, but they made personal changes and now work for Pete. That’s a great example of growing in your career and increasing your income.
  • One of the comments on the podcast was that wages should be increased due to inflation. Totally understand that, but that is why inflation is such a huge problem. Wages do not increase fast enough to keep pace. And if wages do increase, inflation can increase even faster. A much better solution is for our lawmakers to do what it takes to reduce inflation. Not sure they have the stones to do that, but that is a topic for another time.
  • From listening to the show it sounds you have to choose between making more money elsewhere or working at Disney World. Disney is only going to raise wages when smart, hard working people no longer want to work there.
  • It saddens me that cast members are worried about paying for essentials. The majority of them are super talented and could be making more money doing something else.
  • The number 1 goal of a publicly traded company is to increase shareholder wealth. Paying people more because of inflation is not normally a high priority. I’m not saying that’s right or wrong, just the way it is. I hope cast members understand that.
  • if you are a cast member having trouble paying for essentials and you are reading this, consider a career change. See whats out there. Employers like seeing Disney on a resume (No matter what your job was).

The problem is then who is going to work at Disney? There are not enough workers willing and able to work at charity wages, and with the costs of college rocketing in the last decades, less families willing and able to fund their college student to survive the CM program when they’re already incurring serious education debt. I know people like to think service jobs as low/no skill but it’s really not the case when not everyone is suited. It takes a certain type of person to deal with the heat, physical demand, and on the fly communication and hospitality skills needed. If the parks are helping to float the entire company by making insane profits, there isn’t a good reason not to staff properly even if that means increasing wages to do it. Ride breaksdowns were plaguing WDW before getting a bit better more recently, but now it seems like DL is having a worse plague. They need ride mechanics. If the parks are enjoying immense profits, then why can’t they hire at wages to acquire enough employees to actually meet the parks’ needs? IT… much of the same. It is the cost of running a quality business to hire quality employees and have enough employees. If there aren’t enough employees obtainable through self-sacrificing sub- living wages, that is no longer a viable business model for Disney and changes need to be made.

Even if a position is indeed under compensated, ultimately it's the fault of the employees for staying/accepting the job.

For that reason, I have a hard time feeling bad for workers complaining about being underpaid.

Now, many feel that 40hrs of work should have a compensation floor that is "livable" I don't necessarily agree with that, some skills aren't worth much particularly things that anyone can do.

Now, many feel that 40hrs of work should have a compensation floor that is "livable" I don't necessarily agree with that, some skills aren't worth much particularly things that anyone can do.

I think you underestimate how skilled park CM jobs are, overall. I can tell you, I have 2 neurodiverse teenage sons and they would have a VERY tough time working as a park CM. They lack the basic social skills to do so. It requires QUITE a lot of skills that most people take for granted. It's not a job "anyone" can do, and do well.

At the end of the day, it's not the park CMs fault that their parent company got in over their head in media acquisitions and has to keep operating costs down to pay the bills. Disney, like many other big companies, seems to have bitten off more than they could chew. How does a company post record profits quarter after quarter but then suddenly announce a hiring freeze and layoffs? This company is not being run well right now and whatever formula they are using to determine the worth of those "low-level" parks CMs is going to eventually bite them hard.

Parks CMs deserve to be getting paid at least twice their current hourly rates. These parks are located in 2 high cost of living areas and there is NO reason for full time cast members to be homeless.

Last edited:
Oof so many poor hot takes in the OP. I work for a huge publicly traded global company making record profits and you know what they do with them? Give raises. Give larger bonuses to all staff (not just executives). Literally share the wealth because they understand that a happy well-compensated workforce increases productivity and attracts/retains top talent. Poor performers are weeded out more easily because burnout around compensation isn’t a factor.

Disney is not a mom and pop operation. They can afford it. There are many reasons why someone working in a customer-facing hospitality- or service-industry job can’t or won’t move into a more traditional higher-earning position - scheduling flexibility, mental health, education and the outrageous costs of secondary degrees. Would you really say to their faces that they don’t work hard? They shouldn’t be punished financially for doing their jobs well just because they’re a more common skill set.

Stop normalizing corporate greed. Put pressure on these CEOs and Board Directors to do right by the people who make their money for them.

Was listening to the show when the living wage topic was brought up, again. I think it was Ryno who said that everyone who works a 40 hour work week should be able to afford to live. It was also mentioned that cast members are worried about being able to afford essential items like food. I have a few thoughts that are easier to put in bullet points. Curious to see what you all think.
  • <<EDIT>> See post #1.
  • From listening to the show it sounds you have to choose between making more money elsewhere or working at Disney World. Disney is only going to raise wages when smart, hard working people no longer want to work there.
  • <<EDIT>> See post #1.

Just wanted to respond to this point. There are already many smart, hard working people no longer working at Disney. See the mass exodus of imagineers, for example. The past budget cuts to what imagineers can make real in the parks are impactful now, the additional "brain drain" of creative talent will be impactful well into the future. When we wonder three to seven years from now why we're not seeing more interesting, creative and new imagineered environments and rides, we can look to Disney's leadership and budget choices that helped their decision to move on from Disney.

Being a frontline CM actually makes a lot of sense coming right out of high school. You can work and get your degree paid for by the company which is far more beneficial than trying to pay for it out of pocket. Disney has generous paid time off and health benefits.

They have lots of great options from Certificates to Four Year Degrees. Its called the Disney Aspire program. If you are low income it avoids having you take out debt to pay for education.

The company is working to build 1300 affordable housing units for CM's near the parks in the next few years. Pay is competitive with other businesses in the area.

There are lots of good things they are trying to do to help which is at least good to see. I never pity anyone working for Disney, but some people truly do not want to grow up and use the opportunities that Disney offers them for internal promotion and to move forward in their career. At the end of the day, that's on them.

There are definite positives and negatives to working for any company.

Being a frontline CM actually makes a lot of sense coming right out of high school. You can work and get your degree paid for by the company which is far more beneficial than trying to pay for it out of pocket. Disney has generous paid time off and health benefits.

They have lots of great options from Certificates to Four Year Degrees. Its called the Disney Aspire program. If you are low income it avoids having you take out debt to pay for education.

The company is working to build 1300 affordable housing units for CM's near the parks in the next few years. Pay is competitive with other businesses in the area.

There are lots of good things they are trying to do to help which is at least good to see. I never pity anyone working for Disney, but some people truly do not want to grow up and use the opportunities that Disney offers them for internal promotion and to move forward in their career. At the end of the day, that's on them.

There are definite positives and negatives to working for any company.

Bob Iger's first job was as a high school janitor.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

I think you underestimate how skilled park CM jobs are, overall. I can tell you, I have 2 neurodiverse teenage sons and they would have a VERY tough time working as a park CM. They lack the basic social skills to do so. It requires QUITE a lot of skills that most people take for granted. It's not a job "anyone" can do, and do well.

At the end of the day, it's not the park CMs fault that their parent company got in over their head in media acquisitions and has to keep operating costs down to pay the bills. Disney, like many other big companies, seems to have bitten off more than they could chew. How does a company post record profits quarter after quarter but then suddenly announce a hiring freeze and layoffs? This company is not being run well right now and whatever formula they are using to determine the worth of those "low-level" parks CMs is going to eventually bite them hard.

Parks CMs deserve to be getting paid at least twice their current hourly rates. These parks are located in 2 high cost of living areas and there is NO reason for full time cast members to be homeless.
They don't have to work there though, if they didn't keep accepting job offers the positions would be forced to offer more...but people are willing to do those jobs for that pay...even if that crowd is getting thinner.

And if they can't quit and find another position elsewhere that pays them double ...then I guess that's not what their skills are actually worth.

They don't have to work there though, if they didn't keep accepting job offers the positions would be forced to offer more...but people are willing to do those jobs for that pay...even if that crowd is getting thinner.

And if they can't quit and find another position elsewhere that pays them double ...then I guess that's not what their skills are actually worth.

Disney STILL.has not found enough people to fill all the open positions. So, no, not enough people are willing to do the job for that pay. THAT is the problem. Companies paying well are not dealing with "staffing issues." If you pay well, you get people to fill the jobs.

Disney STILL.has not found enough people to fill all the open positions. So, no, not enough people are willing to do the job for that pay. THAT is the problem. Companies paying well are not dealing with "staffing issues." If you pay well, you get people to fill the jobs.
And thus my comment about the crowd willing to do the job getting thinner....but not thin enough..why are people working there if they can get ahead in life by leaving? - If that is true why am I going to feel bad for their poor choice?

Can some one please tell me what a living wage is. It is like affordable housing, what is the dollar amount?

Disney cast members, for the most part, are covered by a union that negotiates their pay scale. Once the union has an agreement with Disney it goes to the members for a vote.
It always seams whatever is negotiated is never enough but they vote to approve the contract. If they don't like the contract vote it down and go on strike.

I worked for Disney many years ago as a front line cast member. I moved from up north making a lot more money and I mean a lot compared to what I started out at Disney, I no longer work there.

When I would listen to cast members complain about not making enough money I would ask "how much over time do you work, answer none. Okay what do you do for a part time job, answer I don't work part time it cuts into my free time."
I would ask did you ever think about working for someone other than Disney to make more money and I would get a dumb stare.

When I started working for Disney I was in a front line cast job for about a year. I knew I had to make more money so I worked as much overtime as I could. When I got my first chance I promoted out of my first job and got an automatic $3.00 dollars an hour raise.
You can make money with Disney you just have to be willing to improve yourself and look for higher paying jobs from within.
Where I grew up everyone either works over time or part time to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle.

And think of it this way, two new hire cast members who are married/together and working for Disney right now will have a household income of around $60,000 dollars. As they spend more time with the company their pay rate increases and in theory they could have a household income of around $80,000 dollars at some point.
That is not bad for a job that does not require any involved technical training.

Oof so many poor hot takes in the OP. I work for a huge publicly traded global company making record profits and you know what they do with them? Give raises. Give larger bonuses to all staff (not just executives). Literally share the wealth because they understand that a happy well-compensated workforce increases productivity and attracts/retains top talent. Poor performers are weeded out more easily because burnout around compensation isn’t a factor.

Disney is not a mom and pop operation. They can afford it. There are many reasons why someone working in a customer-facing hospitality- or service-industry job can’t or won’t move into a more traditional higher-earning position - scheduling flexibility, mental health, education and the outrageous costs of secondary degrees. Would you really say to their faces that they don’t work hard? They shouldn’t be punished financially for doing their jobs well just because they’re a more common skill set.

Stop normalizing corporate greed. Put pressure on these CEOs and Board Directors to do right by the people who make their money for them.
The problem is that corporations today are looking to maximize profits not just making a profit. They put the employee last and cutting staffing to the bone and wonder why they have high turnover and non motivated employees. My other complaint is employees getting paid tipped wages. Remove the need to tip by just raising the price of the food and pay your employees properly by giving them a percentage of the customers bill that way you cant say the servers are not motivated to up sell extras since they will knowing they get x amount of the final tab.

Can some one please tell me what a living wage is. It is like affordable housing, what is the dollar amount?

Disney cast members, for the most part, are covered by a union that negotiates their pay scale. Once the union has an agreement with Disney it goes to the members for a vote.
It always seams whatever is negotiated is never enough but they vote to approve the contract. If they don't like the contract vote it down and go on strike.

I worked for Disney many years ago as a front line cast member. I moved from up north making a lot more money and I mean a lot compared to what I started out at Disney, I no longer work there.

When I would listen to cast members complain about not making enough money I would ask "how much over time do you work, answer none. Okay what do you do for a part time job, answer I don't work part time it cuts into my free time."
I would ask did you ever think about working for someone other than Disney to make more money and I would get a dumb stare.

When I started working for Disney I was in a front line cast job for about a year. I knew I had to make more money so I worked as much overtime as I could. When I got my first chance I promoted out of my first job and got an automatic $3.00 dollars an hour raise.
You can make money with Disney you just have to be willing to improve yourself and look for higher paying jobs from within.
Where I grew up everyone either works over time or part time to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle.

And think of it this way, two new hire cast members who are married/together and working for Disney right now will have a household income of around $60,000 dollars. As they spend more time with the company their pay rate increases and in theory they could have a household income of around $80,000 dollars at some point.
That is not bad for a job that does not require any involved technical training.

The bolded is the whole point. NO one should have to work a second job or work overtime JUST to make ends meet. People need to be able to LIVE and life is a balance. Overwork leads to stress, poor health, and a lot of problems that cost society over the long run rather than being helpful to society.

A "living wage" for a SPECIFIC AREA (it will vary) should mean that you make enough to be able to afford housing, food, and clothing.

Let's just look at housing. Let's look at RENTAL HOUSING because that is what the federal government uses as a gauge for affordability in an area.

In Orlando, the average 1 bedroom apartment costs $1700. Landlords will require that you make 3 times the income to be approved. That is $5100 gross.

That breaks down to $29.42/hr to live alone.

What about roommates? Well, if you rent a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate, you'd each need to make around $19/hr. Is WDW paying that much? Nope. They are not.

What about Disneyland?

Average rent for a 1br apartment in all of Orange County is $2095. To live alone, a livable wage is $36.25/hr.

To share a 2 bedroom apartment ($2700 average price) would require each person to make $25.31.

Keep in mind, this is using a 40 hour (full time) work week.

Disney is not paying anywhere near these wages in CA, certainly. They are not providing a living wage.

What they are paying is not a living wage ANYWHERE in the US.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...xt=By Braeden Waddell-,Aug.,2021, at 5:02 p.m.

Keep in mind, this article was written over a year ago. Things have only gotten worse, cost wise.

"Living wage" is not some arbitrary number. It's a very real economic calculation.

The bolded is the whole point. NO one should have to work a second job or work overtime JUST to make ends meet. People need to be able to LIVE and life is a balance. Overwork leads to stress, poor health, and a lot of problems that cost society over the long run rather than being helpful to society.

A "living wage" for a SPECIFIC AREA (it will vary) should mean that you make enough to be able to afford housing, food, and clothing.

Let's just look at housing. Let's look at RENTAL HOUSING because that is what the federal government uses as a gauge for affordability in an area.

In Orlando, the average 1 bedroom apartment costs $1700. Landlords will require that you make 3 times the income to be approved. That is $5100 gross.

That breaks down to $29.42/hr to live alone.

What about roommates? Well, if you rent a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate, you'd each need to make around $19/hr. Is WDW paying that much? Nope. They are not.

What about Disneyland?

Average rent for a 1br apartment in all of Orange County is $2095. To live alone, a livable wage is $36.25/hr.

To share a 2 bedroom apartment ($2700 average price) would require each person to make $25.31.

Keep in mind, this is using a 40 hour (full time) work week.

Disney is not paying anywhere near these wages in CA, certainly. They are not providing a living wage.

What they are paying is not a living wage ANYWHERE in the US.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2021-08-06/report-15-hourly-wage-isnt-livable-anywhere-in-the-us#:~:text=Despite making more than double,food, rent and health care.&text=By Braeden Waddell-,Aug.,2021, at 5:02 p.m.

Keep in mind, this article was written over a year ago. Things have only gotten worse, cost wise.

"Living wage" is not some arbitrary number. It's a very real economic calculation.
No one should have to "live to work" you should be "working to live".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter