Disney postcard solution! + park report and maps

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
In recent weeks and months, I, among others, have posted about/bemoaned the lack of inexpensive postcards at Disneyland. Up until about six months ago, cards for $2 or less (with AP discount) had nice pics of things like the DL castle and/or Mickey and Minnie. In place of those, now the park only offers $5-$8 cards that are artistic renderings of attractions. I hate them, in part because recipients may not even know what they’re meant to represent. The ridiculous prices don’t help either. In any case, I discovered last week that non-Disney stores near to the park offer better cards… and for only $.90! I picked up a few yesterday (pic below). I’ll bring them to the park soon so that I can at least mail them from there. I suspect this may be obvious to others but as a local park-goer, I never visit the nearby souvenir shops.

Side note: on my way to the souvenir store on Harbor, there was a guy preaching loudly about religious issues. It was moderately annoying but whateves. On my way back, however, he crossed the Disney property line and security moved quickly to remind him of the boundaries. In typical Disney fashion, they were exceptionally kind and pleasant about it. I'd expect no less.

Brief park report. I made excellent time getting into the structure and to the park gates yesterday. The lane I was in opened at 7:00 but the other two to my left of me didn’t right away for some reason. The three cars ahead of me all had passes that were scanned, which takes far less time than when guests try to pay (seemingly) with pennies, foreign currency and voided credit cards. I got the second parking spot in the structure (!!), made it to a security lane with no one ahead of me, jumped onto an empty tram and it took off almost immediately (I remained the sole rider throughout, which is the first time that's happened). We stopped at the best point possible (sometimes the trams drive all the way around the drop-off point before letting guests disembark) and I beat a friend to the gates for the first time ever! We were among the first into the park but some kid (he was at least 16, so not really a kid, exactly) skip-ran ahead of us and ruined my customary empty Main Street pic. I’m no graphics editor but I’ve done my best to remove him from the pic. I’m sure that if anyone looks closely, it’ll be obvious to them.

Overall, it was a great day. Two high points:
  • I believe that it was @DnA2010 who saw me talking to some friends at the porch and she said hello. I’d sent her park maps about six weeks ago. It’s always nice to meet fellow Dissers face-to-face and she was super nice.
  • I met a great family at the porch and they asked for Buzz tips. They’re all good and both of the kids (a sister and a brother aged about 11 and 12 – it was the younger daughter’s birthday) have broken 1M at some point. Later I ran into them all at Buzz and we compared scores several times at the photo kiosk. The kids hadn’t managed to break 1M that day but I gave each of them the opportunity to take credit for one of my scores (around 1.3M). They seemed to love that. They come often and I hope to see them again. I spent longer than usual on Buzz because I wanted to break 2M and give the girl credit for it, since it was her birthday. Never got past 1.7M, though :-(.
For those who love or collect Loungefly bags, there’s a (what I presume is) new Halloween one. Pics below.

I have park maps for anyone who’d like a set. Simply send me a DM (“Start Conversation”) and I’ll get some in the mail for you.

Park pics. Just a few this time.

This is the image I edited to remove the runner. Don't look too closely or you'll ruin the magic ;-).
DL Main Street.jpeg
My second-place parking spot!
IMG_6071.jpeg
IMG_6052.jpeg
Me on my chauffeur-driven tram ;-).

IMG_6053.jpegIMG_6056.jpegIMG_6058.jpegIMG_6064.jpegIMG_6065.jpegIMG_6067.jpegIMG_6072.jpeg
Postcards from a nearby souvenir shop.

Last edited:
Hi, Rob! Love your report as usual. LOL on removing the kid from your shot : )

I was thinking maybe you could make your own postcards. I've never tried it but I did find this tutorial. Might be fun to send a few personalized ones to family! https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Photo-Postcards-on-the-Go/

Edited to add: you can also order your photos as postcards. I don't know if Walgreens or whatever is nearby does 1-hour for that but it's a possible option.

Hi, Rob! Love your report as usual. LOL on removing the kid from your shot : )
:-).
I was thinking maybe you could make your own postcards.
Actually, I’ve considered this. If I can get a dozen or so made for a reasonable price, I’ll probably do it. Next Sunday I’ll make a point of taking pics specifically for postcard candidates :-).

In recent weeks and months, I, among others, have posted about/bemoaned the lack of inexpensive postcards at Disneyland.

I just went through this in May at WDW as well. My boss jokingly asked me to send them a postcard when they approved my vacation time.

I found it was IMPOSSIBLE to find one at WDW except in large packs for $20. I spoke with Guest services even and they told me they get that feedback daily.

I finally found one at an art shop in Disney Speings and it cost me like $9 or something.

It’s….ridiculous.

I found it was IMPOSSIBLE to find one at WDW except in large packs for $20. I spoke with Guest services even and they told me they get that feedback daily.

I finally found one at an art shop in Disney Speings and it cost me like $9 or something.
Yup. It's silly and tone-deaf, I believe, to guest's desires. I suspect that the only reason they don't sell the good ones anymore is because if they did, no one would buy the expensive ones. But since that's all they have...

Sorry I didn’t comment earlier on where you could find cards but I just assumed you were looking for something more upscale (although not $9 each 😱). The little store next to Candy Cane is great, also the CVS and other souvenir shop across from CCI. We always shop at that one because they have a great collection of OOP Loungef backpacks.

But I agree with the other poster…your photos are great and you should have some made through Vistaprint or someone. Some of your castle shots with clouds are amazing.

so nice that you shared your high scores with others…maybe I’ll be lucky enough to run across you one day and you’ll boost my measley 300,000 up to 1M! :cool1:

The three cars ahead of me all had passes that were scanned, which takes far less time than when guests try to pay (seemingly) with pennies, foreign currency and voided credit cards.
This is hilarious! :rotfl:

Glad you took pics of your parking spot and the empty tram. Those are the little things that make the day extra special.

Hey Rob, actually would be curious to see what the artistic renders look like. Not sure how much Disney will frown upon you snapping a picture or two, but I would love to see them!

I would love some retro style ones, but I’m sure that would be far too much to wish for from Disney 🤣

Hey Rob, actually would be curious to see what the artistic renders look like. Not sure how much Disney will frown upon you snapping a picture or two, but I would love to see them!

I would love some retro style ones, but I’m sure that would be far too much to wish for from Disney 🤣
These aren’t exactly the ones I’m complaining about but they’re the only pics I can find. The Space Mountain cards are a little more abstract. And they’re $7.

Sorry: Edited to remove images. I'm tired and they were the wrong ones. I'll look for them on Sunday.

We just got back from a week staying at the Howard Johnson. They also had those inexpensive post cards in the gift shop! I thought of you. There must be a market for them if all the off site shops have them!
We also ran into the preachers a few mornings coming across Harbour 😒🙄 Nothing like hearing someone screaming through a loud speaking about sodomites at 7:30am!

We were looking for postcards a few weeks ago and were directed to Disneyana. They only had mini versions of their larger prints. I grabbed this image from Yelp.

1693405496605.png

They are also sold at Off The Page in DCA, and Wounderground in DTD. Here is a pic from Wonderground.
1693405720669.png

I don't think the intention is for them to be mailed. They sell picture frames that display 3-5 cards.

We were looking for postcards a few weeks ago and were directed to Disneyana. They only had mini versions of their larger prints. I grabbed this image from Yelp.

View attachment 789412

They are also sold at Off The Page in DCA, and Wounderground in DTD. Here is a pic from Wonderground.
View attachment 789416

I don't think the intention is for them to be mailed. They sell picture frames that display 3-5 cards.
I love these "postcards" for that exact reason. I have probably 6-8 of them in frames hung up in my house. Sometimes I really like a print/canvas, but don't want to spend the major bucks on it and if they have a "postcard" option I will do that instead.

I love these "postcards" for that exact reason. I have probably 6-8 of them in frames hung up in my house. Sometimes I really like a print/canvas, but don't want to spend the major bucks on it and if they have a "postcard" option I will do that instead.
My DD buys a few of these from Off the Page every trip, and then she hangs them in her room. No way could she afford the actual prints, so these "postcards" are fun and budget friendly (by comparison!).

View attachment 789412

View attachment 789416

I have bought a ton of post-cards just to frame. They are less expensive than the art prints and very display-worthy.

This is hilarious! :rotfl:

Glad you took pics of your parking spot and the empty tram. Those are the little things that make the day extra special.
I'd have to agree with this. I do the same, not just at Disneyland, but on all trips. It's the side things, the passing moments, could be a doorway, could be a menu, etc. You'll probably never had a problem finding a gazillion photos of the Sleeping Beauty castle for every month of every year.

I remember years (or decades) back, Disneyland had "postcard books". Some opened accordian style and some were perforated and you pulled the individual postacards out of the book. The photos were always wonderfully vibrant (especially the flowers/landscaping). I don't know whatever happened to these types of postcard books. It's right up there in the Disneyland of my childhood along with that funky yellow flashlight that's shaped like a pillow and curved inwards on the top and bottom and couldn't light up anything more than half an inch in front of you.

:-).

Actually, I’ve considered this. If I can get a dozen or so made for a reasonable price, I’ll probably do it. Next Sunday I’ll make a point of taking pics specifically for postcard candidates :-).
How about just of your high score?

I'm a collector of the Wonderground postcards. I have a binder with nearly 100 of them from Festival of the Arts at Disney World, as well as the shops mentioned above. I understand the desire for inexpensive postcards for mailing, but I don't think the Wonderground ones are overpriced. I can take a photo, but I can't create a piece of art like they can. :)

Disney Art is one of my favorite things, so I follow a lot of these artists on Instagram. It's a really lovely community. Some of my favorites are Joey Chou, Ashley Taylor, June Kim, Caley Hicks, Dylan Bonner, Ann Shen, Jerrod Maruyama, Fenway Fan, and Ryan Riller. They're super talented, and I recommend checking them out if you see them. Always super friendly and happy to sign any of their works you may purchase, even the postcards. (Prints, canvases, and sometimes even the originals are often for sale.) They make appearances at Wonderground and Off the Page throughout the year, as well as Festival of the Arts every Jan/Feb in Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter