Disney Premier Visa Card

kar0066

Mouseketeer
I received an offer today to upgrade my Regular Disney Visa to a Premier Card. Sure - there are double points on a lot of purchases, and 5X rewards the first three months, but there is a $49 annual fee. IMO, there are a lot of other credit cards that offer great rewards that do not charge a fee. I can't see the value in this. :confused3

It really depends what you spend. If you are like me and average about $100 a week on groceries alone. Your ahead of the game at 2%. Figure we estimate low and say $5K a year on groceries. That's $100 in rewards.

When compared to the free card, You are about even at $50 rewards.

However, anything else with the 2% is just gravy. With gas, restaurant, and disney purchases, this is well wourth it for my family.

Have to agree with the OP. We use an Amazon Rewards (No annual fee) for gas, pharmacy, and grocery with 3 points per $ spent. We use the Disney Visa for everything else. For us it makes the most sense.

Makes total sense for us to upgrade (which I did!) We use the card for EVERYTHING and it's totally worth it for us to upgrade. I don't like the fee, but I make that up in the first 3 months with 5% rewards.

I agree with OP. I cannot bring myself to pay an annual fee to use credit.

My regular Disney card used to occasionally give extra points which I assume will be a thing of the past with the new card out, but I still cannot bring myself to upgrade.

I agree, there are other free cards which get you the same rewards or better, so unless you are maxing out the benefits on these other cards (if they have a max), I can't see what the advantage of paying for this one is.

We upgraded about two weeks ago. Did the math using the annual statement breakdown of what we sepnd and I'll come out way ahead even with the annual fee.

Sure I could use another card but we like the Disney rewards specifically (6 month free financing on resort packages included) and the new card designs were an added bonus. We have probably used close to $2000 in Disney rewards over the last 7 years and 8 trips and have never paid a cent of interest.

Despite the fact that I figured at some point my kids (now 9) would want to stop going they still ask to go every year. We won't be back until June 2013 at this point so the 18 months between trips with the 2% rewards will really make it worthwhile.

We upgraded about two weeks ago. Did the math using the annual statement breakdown of what we sepnd and I'll come out way ahead even with the annual fee.

Sure I could use another card but we like the Disney rewards specifically (6 month free financing on resort packages included) and the new card designs were an added bonus. We have probably used close to $2000 in Disney rewards over the last 7 years and 8 trips and have never paid a cent of interest.

Despite the fact that I figured at some point my kids (now 9) would want to stop going they still ask to go every year. We won't be back until June 2013 at this point so the 18 months between trips with the 2% rewards will really make it worthwhile.

Lol...don't count on it....my girls are 21 and 19 and STILL ask me to take them every year!!

There is a very large thread on this on the Budget board. We upgraded. It made sense to us. When we downloaded the 2011 charges we saw in the food, gas, restaurant category that we would earn $75 more above the $49 fee in rewards

For a fee card, I think a much better value for the fee for WDW lovers (that fly and have SWA) is the chase SWA card.

It is all about what benefits you personally. We upgraded right away (before they even mailed us anything). We put over $45,000 on our card per year on average, so we will be getting tons of rewards. We had $8,000 in dining, $9000 in grocery, $5,000 in gas on last year's end of the year statement. There may be other cards that give similar or better rewards, but we like the fact that we can't really use the rewards for anything other than a trip. I mean, if we were getting cash back it would be very easy to say "We could use this money for a trip, but the house needs some work." This way, we are guaranteed a trip every year and we also like the perks such as the free photo, % off tours, early access to discount promotions before the general public, etc. It is the only credit card we own and we pay it off completely every month so we have never paid a penny in interest. Do I like the fee? Not really, but we will benefit far more from the extra rewards, so it is a small price to pay for more Disney fun.

We just upgraded, too. It made sense for us, especially with a trip coming up in June. We spend about $200/week in groceries, so for 3 months at 5% back, we are already earning $120 in rewards. Subtract the $49 fee and we are still ahead $71. With the regular card we would only earn $24 in that same time frame (at 1% cash back). If I still add in gas and restaurants in the next 3 months, we will definitely be ahead, even with the fee.

Even after the 5% promotion is over, we will still get 2% on these purchases. Groceries alone for the year will be over $200 in rewards for a year.

The card is worth it if you go to Disney a lot, AND also use your credit card a lot. For us, it's our spending money for our trip that we don't have to think about saving.

And PP....my kids are also 13 and 15 and STILL ask to go to WDW every year, too! Once you get the bug, it stays! :wizard:

It made sense for me and that sorcerer Mickey design is TO.DIE.FOR.

I also received this offer a week or so ago, and will pass on it as well.

I just don't see the benefits. There are much better rewards cards out there, and I find the cash rewards cards (i.e., Discover, Chase Freedom, Amex Cash Back) to be superior.

If they could come up with some kind of real Disney incentive for the premium card, such as discounts at WDW hotels or cruises, etc., then it might be worth looking at.

We have the Bank of America 3% gas, 2% grocery, 1% everything else card with no annual fee so it doesn't make sense to us to pay for the Premier Visa, but I have to agree, I'd love to have the Sorcerer Mickey card!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter